Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What are my chances?  (Read 1030 times)

redter82

• View Profile
What are my chances?
« on: March 13, 2009, 09:17:20 PM »
151 LSAT; 3.02 GPA; three years work experience as journalist; interesting experiences; several writing/ excellence awards?

At:

Valpo Law
IU Indy
U Tenn Knox
Wisc Madison
Texas Wslyn
South Texas
IU Bloomington
U Hawaii
U Ark Little Rock
Southern Illinois U
Loyola Chicago
Loyola New Orleans
Ohio Northern
Michigan State
William Mitchell
Hamline
Western State
California Western
U Nevada
Barry, Orlando
Case Western
John A. Marshall, Chicago

I've looked at law school numbers Web site, to compare stats, but looking for comments from others who have got in to any of these schools with stats like mine -- LSAT in low 150s, GPA around 3ish; some work experience after undergrad, etc.

Thanks
Terrie

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: What are my chances?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 03:59:51 PM »
Have you considered taking the LSAT over again?  I have no idea what the admissions criteria are for those schools, but would wager that they probably look for someone with a bare-minimum of 150, with anyone over a 155 probably having a great shot.  Can I ask how you studied for the LSAT?  Did you read through the Bibles and take 20-40 practice tests under timed conditions?  If not, your score is not reflective of your ability and you should consider taking it again (maybe June or September) and applying for the Fall of 2010.  Even if you got into some of those schools, which I bet you would, getting a higher LSAT will solidify your chances, open up possibilities at higher-prestige schools, and open the door to some possible scholarship money if you are on the upper-end of the incoming class.
_______
.|E|R|S.

nerfco

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 04:03:37 PM »
Agree. Retake if you feel like you can improve your score at all. Gets you into better schools with more opportunities, better scholarships, etc.

Remarq

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 04:28:07 PM »
If you're applying this late I don't know what you can expect. Here is what I would guess if you applied ealier in the cycle/next cycle:

Valpo Law - In
IU Indy - Out
U Tenn Knox - Out
Wisc Madison - Out
Texas Wslyn - In
South Texas - In
IU Bloomington - Out
U Hawaii - Out
U Ark Little Rock - In
Southern Illinois U - In
Loyola Chicago - Out
Loyola New Orleans - In
Ohio Northern - In
Michigan State - Out (Maybe in PT)
William Mitchell - In
Hamline - Out
Western State - In
California Western - In
U Nevada - Out
Barry, Orlando - In
Case Western - Out
John A. Marshall, Chicago - In

As everyone has said, you should consider retaking. You'll be paying full price at all of the schools you could get in to, whereas if you pick up anthoer 4-6 points you have a shot at $ or getting in to a few better schools than you can now.

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 05:52:54 PM »
On another note, if you decide to retake, I encourage you to take advantage of the people, advice, and resources on this site.  We can help you come up with a game plan that will probably increase your score (assuming you did little prep work before; if you did a lot of preparation before the last one, then you may have plateau'd).
_______
.|E|R|S.

redter82

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 01:11:18 AM »
Attending University of Hawaii! ;D