Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Minnesota: Polar Law 2012!  (Read 2833 times)

no634

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • No 634
Re: University of Minnesota: Polar Law 2012!
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2009, 08:08:54 AM »
Hm. Looks like we are in for a snowstorm today...hhhhhhhhhhhmf.

mbw

• LSD Obsessed
  • TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2009, 09:26:56 AM »
Hm. Looks like we are in for a snowstorm today...hhhhhhhhhhhmf.

So I saw on weather.com.  And I was supposed to be visiting this week.  (That was delayed by a surprise acceptance from Cornell last week, and now the big decision between Polar Law and Ithaca.)  So the visit has been pushed off for two weeks.  Can you guys try and keep the blizzards at bay for that visit?
I'm in a lynch mob?  I had no idea.  This is really worrying; I really don't have time for another extra-curricular activity.

space for rent.

OK Law

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2009, 09:29:24 AM »
As a 2L, I have had contact with the Career Services people and I must admit that they aren't particularly helpful.  Here is the deal, if you go in with specific questions or objectives, they may be able to help.  However, if you go in as a 1L or as a 2L and ask them to help you find a job (which many would say is their job), you will likely be pretty disappointed.  You are going to hear bad things about them when you get here, but keep an open mind.  If you have a strategy, they might be able to help you out. Basically, they are like most everything in law school, not as bad as some people say, but definitely not that great either.  

Also, the new Dean has tried to overhaul the Career Services Department and hopefully they will be improving in quality and stature in the near future.

no634

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • No 634
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2009, 12:53:53 PM »
Ooo congrats on Cornell! I think quality of life is definitely better in the Twin Cities (and employment opportunities as well) but a Cornell degree does carry!

Oh, and as far as career services... I thought they were useful for resume related things, but I didn't expect them to find a job for me. I think their purpose is to give students the tools so that THE STUDENTS can find jobs.

mbw

• LSD Obsessed
  • TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2009, 08:46:18 AM »
Thanks!  Don't quote me, but I do think we're still pointing our vagabonding troop towards Minneapolis. That may change should a solid financial offer come through from Cornell, but then again, that might just end up being fodder in my quest to up my UofM scholly offer ;).

Is there any truth to the rumor (on TLS) that this fall's class will be significantly smaller than in previous years?

I'm in a lynch mob?  I had no idea.  This is really worrying; I really don't have time for another extra-curricular activity.

space for rent.

no634

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • No 634
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2009, 01:40:34 PM »
Thanks!  Don't quote me, but I do think we're still pointing our vagabonding troop towards Minneapolis. That may change should a solid financial offer come through from Cornell, but then again, that might just end up being fodder in my quest to up my UofM scholly offer ;).

Is there any truth to the rumor (on TLS) that this fall's class will be significantly smaller than in previous years?

I think, (and don't quote me on this!) my class is 260 or 280...and I think your class is going to be 240. So they basically cut a section.

mbw

• LSD Obsessed
  • TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2009, 10:07:47 AM »
Here's a bump for jumping into the T20.  Not that anyone cares what some third-rate news magazine thinks and all ;)

space for rent.

no634

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • No 634
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2009, 09:22:15 AM »
Oh good. Now we can stop saying that we go to a "top 22 school."