Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Penn State vs. Pitt  (Read 1200 times)

swc5018

• View Profile
Penn State vs. Pitt
« on: March 12, 2009, 10:44:40 PM »
So after finally getting all of my decision letters, I've narrowed my choices down to Penn State and Pittsburgh. Both will end up costing me about the same. Anyone care to weigh in with some advice? Thanks.

myrrheejazz

• View Profile
Re: Penn State vs. Pitt
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 10:54:36 PM »
It would all depend on what you want to practice after law school.  I think it is very important to get work experience and make contacts prior to attending law school, this will enable you to find a job easier once you are out.  As for Penn State and Pitt, they are roughly ranked about the same, so I don't think you would be making a poor choice either way.  I would go with the program that would offer the strongest job prospects for your area of practice.

Just my 2 cents!

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 11:27:19 PM »
If the costs are truly the same, as you said (and keep in mind that you should also take into account scholarship requirements IF they are the same due to a scholarship!), then you should focus primarily (actually, this should be one of your priorities regardless!) on western PA where you want to live. 

Do you want to practice in western PA?  Central/Southcentral PA?  Northeastern PA?  Philly?  If you want central/eastern PA, I'd go with PSU if I were you.  PSU will go up in the rankings slightly due to the money they're throwing around, while Pitt has faltered ever so slightly.  It's networking is better in these areas. 

However, Pitt is a great school for western PA, and Pittsburgh is a cheap city with decent things to do.

I hope this helps a little.   

swc5018

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 10:03:10 AM »
UPDATE: after some negotiating, it now turns out Pitt will cost $6k/year less than Penn State. I went to visit both schools, and came away thinking Pitt was a dump (decent city though) while PSUs brand new building was great. I'm not wild about living/working/school in western PA for the near future, but $18,000 over 3 years sounds like a lot of money. Leaning towards Penn State at the moment but open to suggestions.

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 01:10:59 PM »
UPDATE: after some negotiating, it now turns out Pitt will cost $6k/year less than Penn State. I went to visit both schools, and came away thinking Pitt was a dump (decent city though) while PSUs brand new building was great. I'm not wild about living/working/school in western PA for the near future, but $18,000 over 3 years sounds like a lot of money. Leaning towards Penn State at the moment but open to suggestions.

What will be your total debt at both schools?

swc5018

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 03:03:20 PM »
estimating the cost of living over 3 years, my total debt for PSU would be approx. 95-110K vs. 80-95K for Pitt. run those #s through a loan calculator and PSU would end up costing me about an extra $150 per month when I'm paying off my student loans.

Crimson:devil(red)

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 03:08:50 PM »

If you came away thinking Pitt was a dump AND you're not thrilled about living or working in western PA, I would say that you shouldn't worry about the additional cost and go to PSU.
Tulane Law School Class of 2012

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/crimsondevilred

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 04:24:09 PM »
estimating the cost of living over 3 years, my total debt for PSU would be approx. 95-110K vs. 80-95K for Pitt. run those #s through a loan calculator and PSU would end up costing me about an extra $150 per month when I'm paying off my student loans.

I agree with Crimson.  $150/month isn't bad in the long run, especially if you're going to be at a decent school in the area where you'd like to practice law.  (I'm assuming you want to practice in central PA, correct?)