Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Any thoughts on University of Miami?  (Read 1845 times)

beinlaw

• View Profile
Any thoughts on University of Miami?
« on: March 12, 2009, 10:05:25 PM »
Anyone going to UM or have any input as a current UM student? Any comments are welcome!

Thank you!

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Any thoughts on University of Miami?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 11:23:23 PM »
While I am not a UM student, I strongly considered going there last year.

It's a solid school if you plan on living in South Florida.   Like most cities, it has a higher COL, but I've heard that you can find cheaper housing like any city if you're willing to look for it. 

I wish I could tell you more!

beinlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 12:30:54 AM »
Ahh, I wish you could too! Thanks for your info though. So which school did you end up going to and what was the reason for it over UM, if you don't mind me asking! Thanks again!

iahurricane

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 12:31:53 AM »
You'll like the campus and have a hard time studying with all the things going on in the city.

beinlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 12:37:41 AM »
iahurricane,

Do you currently attend UM? Anything about the school regarding education? The only places I've been in Florida is Key West, Orlando, and Daytona Beach.

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 01:01:09 AM »
Ahh, I wish you could too! Thanks for your info though. So which school did you end up going to and what was the reason for it over UM, if you don't mind me asking! Thanks again!

Well, I go to one of UM's rivals...UF.  :)  But I'm not *as* biased as many, because I'm not originally from Florida.

I went there because: a) I knew I wanted to live in Florida, but I wasn't sure exactly where.  UF is the best law school in Florida, and it does well even in S. Florida, so it gives me many options; b) While UM would've been cheaper if I kept my scholarship, there was no guarantee that I would keep my scholarship, whereas UF is dirt-cheap once you get in-state tuition (which is relatively easy to do if you plan ahead and do your research, which I did ahead of time); c) cost-of-living in Gainesville is cheap, which keeps my debt low.

iahurricane

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 03:20:49 AM »
iahurricane,

Do you currently attend UM? Anything about the school regarding education? The only places I've been in Florida is Key West, Orlando, and Daytona Beach.

I went to UM for undergrad, so I can answer most questions about life, campus, the city, just not much of the school itself. The main reason I don't want to go to UM law and practice in Miami is because I feel not speaking Spanish is a dissadvantage in the business world down here and will be even a bigger disadvantage in the future. Not saying that you won't get a job only speaking English, you may be just fine depending on what you want to do. I just don't want to deal a corrupt Spanish Bureaucracy in the future when I get into real estate development myself.

no634

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • No 634
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 03:09:58 PM »
iahurricane,

I went to UM for undergrad, so I can answer most questions about life, campus, the city, just not much of the school itself. The main reason I don't want to go to UM law and practice in Miami is because I feel not speaking Spanish is a dissadvantage in the business world down here and will be even a bigger disadvantage in the future. Not saying that you won't get a job only speaking English, you may be just fine depending on what you want to do. I just don't want to deal a corrupt Spanish Bureaucracy in the future when I get into real estate development myself.

I also graduated from UMiami (for undergrad). Spanish is not a must for most practice areas. You just have to be comfortable with not understanding every conversation around you. (hint, gesturing and honking go a long way.)

ayoung22

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 09:21:25 PM »
Does anyone else have any thoughts about the school? Cost of living, quality of education, job placement, etc? Also, this is a more specific question, but how is their Sports and Entertainment program and do they have a lot of sports/entertainment related clubs, organizations, etc?

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 10:49:19 PM »
Also, this is a more specific question, but how is their Sports and Entertainment program and do they have a lot of sports/entertainment related clubs, organizations, etc?

This is a useless question.  Don't expect to be an entertainment lawyer. Your chance of becoming one is probably less than getting into law review. 

To the OP, any Tier 2 private law school is NOT worth the risk and that definately include UMiami.  UMichigan is a whole different story.