Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Nova Law School- Any good??  (Read 30273 times)

sonofapickle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Nova Law School- Any good??
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2010, 09:33:13 PM »
At least I had parents who weren't constantly on drugs...

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2010, 10:30:30 PM »
Son, dont lie we both know your mother was on valium to keep her from killing herself due to the depression you gave her. When we had to bury her from an overdose was the sadest day on your grandmothers life, she never did recover, shame on you for brining up such things.......... :-[

HardWorking

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2010, 12:05:07 PM »
This is a horrible law school.  If you plan on moving out of Florida, then good luck having people recognize the name of your law school.  Let people lie to you, particularly people who attend this horrible school but, the truth is that as a Tier 4 graduate you will have a hell of a time trying to find a decent or good-paying job when you are competing with graduates of good schools.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2010, 01:11:58 PM »
If you plan moving out of state at about any law school the odds are not that good. Shockingly the majority of law schools are regional whether they are ranked 82nd or 172nd. Most people in New Hampshire will have no idea what Santa Clara University is and most people in San Jose will have never heard of Franklin Pierce.  Going to a tier 4 is not the same as Harvard, but if you graduate and pass the bar you can get and likely will get a job as an attorney somewhere. That is if  you actually look for a job. The reality is nobody will hand you anything coming from Nova or most schools it is up to you to make it happen.

HardWorking

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2010, 04:10:57 PM »
If you plan moving out of state at about any law school the odds are not that good. Shockingly the majority of law schools are regional whether they are ranked 82nd or 172nd. Most people in New Hampshire will have no idea what Santa Clara University is and most people in San Jose will have never heard of Franklin Pierce.  Going to a tier 4 is not the same as Harvard, but if you graduate and pass the bar you can get and likely will get a job as an attorney somewhere. That is if  you actually look for a job. The reality is nobody will hand you anything coming from Nova or most schools it is up to you to make it happen.

You make a very good point.  I just want people to realize that unless you go to a school that has a name, you may have a hard time finding a job.  Even if you apply to South Carolina, which I think is ranked in the tier 4 or Michigan State, which is ranked in the tier 3, going to some place like Nova Law School will not help you in the long run.  You are better off going and getting a masters or phd from a good school than heading to a tier 4 law school.

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2010, 04:18:23 PM »
...if you graduate and pass the bar you can get and likely will get a job as an attorney somewhere. That is if  you actually look for a job.

I don't think even this much is true, honestly.  I wouldn't go so far as to say it's "likely," certainly.
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)

Cicero

• Sr. Citizen
  • UF 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2010, 05:29:39 PM »
That is certainly disheartening. :(  The economy is definitely in terrible shape right now and it doesn't seem to be getting better. I currently go to a T-4 and the job opportunity issue is one of the biggest reasons I'm trying to transfer.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2010, 08:15:07 PM »
Yes graduating from a no-name school in any profession is tough. If you get a computer science degree from Stanford you will have more job opportunities than someone from San Jose State. It is not a news flash and yes going to law school is a risk. That is the bottom line and so is any type of education if you want to play it safe when you graduate high school go work at a bank and you will promoted to a loan broker or bank manager by the time your 25. You will have no educational debt and be fine. It will be kind of boring, but it is the safe choice. If you go to law school it CAN end up real bad or real good. I know two people that went to Hastings who have now failed the bar twice. Hastings is a pretty respected school, but they can't pass the bar so they are kind of screwed. I know a guy who graduated from Cal Northern who passed the bar and is working as a an associate making a 100K a year.

I don't know of any educational path that guarantees you a job. Believe it or not even doctors have to find jobs and they make jack sh** during residency. To get an M.D. is more debt than law school and you have to go through a long residency I think 5 years at least at my friend's hospital and he is locked in at 50K a year for 5 years and in more than 100K in educational debt. I feel like people in law school think if you get an M.D. you just get shi*t handed to you and that is not the case either. Baffling as it might be getting a professional degree is a huge commitment and a big risk. People don't hand out jobs and getting hired as a lawyer, doctor, etc is hard to do. You will probably get a few rejections along the way no matter what school you went to and if you can't handle that you are not going to be able to handle yourself in a courtroom.

Life is hard at the end of the day just getting a J.D. does not mean law firms will gather around the stage  for graduation and give you a 100k a year contract. Your going to have to go out and find a job and explain to them why they should pay you to work for them. Big difference between school and work is that you are paying the school to be there and a job is paying you and as result the standard in a job is a lot higher than at school.

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2010, 08:26:08 PM »
That is certainly disheartening. :(  The economy is definitely in terrible shape right now and it doesn't seem to be getting better. I currently go to a T-4 and the job opportunity issue is one of the biggest reasons I'm trying to transfer.

Sorry, I don't mean to be discouraging.  :(  I just want people to have realistic expectations, so that they can plan accordingly.
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)

Cicero

• Sr. Citizen
  • UF 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2010, 08:33:35 PM »
Oh, it's ok. It's just that the idea that someone could really put so much time and effort into earning the degree and into securing a job and still end up working at McD's (or even worse to be so overqualified that even McD's wouldn't hire them) is disheartening. I knew it would be an uphill battle when I enrolled in a T-4. I worked my butt off the 1st year and it went really well, so I'm hoping to move to a better school in the hopes that it will put me a little bit closer to the top of the hill. (**Fingers crossed**) However, if transferring doesn't work, the hard work earned a much bigger scholarship, so I won't be in as much debt and will be able to take a lower paying job if need be.