Law School Discussion

Nova Law School- Any good??

Nova Law School- Any good??
« on: March 11, 2009, 07:44:20 PM »
anyone know any thing about nova? just gotaccepted- is it a good school?

also if I was accepted to nova would I get accepted to FIU-

thanks

Re: Nova Law School- Any good??
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 08:05:57 PM »

thanks

Not a good school at all. High percentage of students got kicked out or dropped out.  And, IF you do end up graduating and passing the bar, you will have a up hill battle competing against UF, UM, and FSU kids. 

I have said this before, I will say it again, there are only 4 law schools in Florida worth considering, and they are UF, UM, FSU, and Stetson.  In the future, I might add FIU, but not at this moment.

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 08:09:48 PM »

thanks    

Not a good school at all. High percentage of students got kicked out or dropped out.  And, IF you do end up graduating and passing the bar, you will have a up hill battle competing against UF, UM, and FSU kids.     

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 08:37:08 PM »
thanks for your response

i think you would be right if a person wants a job in big law being stuck in a library for 80 hours a week.

Not me i want to work in the public defenders office or da's office so im sure most graduates of those four schools would not want to work in local government for 30-40k a year but i would to get the experience for a few years then open up a office.

I reject the notion that one would not be successful unless they go to the "top four" schools in florda. I have a friend that goes to famu and interns for a lawyer that practices criminal law in orlando and graduated from barry. He makes 250k a year handling violation of probation and other criminal cases.

your right in the sense that going to those top 4 schools would give an individual a leg up in corporate law. But really lets be honest none of the schools in the southeast is no yale. I think for me the best route to go is to find the most cost effective school with a good bar pass rate so i have no debt. I have another friend that graduated from hofsta has 120k in debt and has not found a job after 9 months.

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 09:24:23 PM »
thanks for your response

i think you would be right if a person wants a job in big law being stuck in a library for 80 hours a week.

Not me i want to work in the public defenders office or da's office so im sure most graduates of those four schools would not want to work in local government for 30-40k a year but i would to get the experience for a few years then open up a office.

I reject the notion that one would not be successful unless they go to the "top four" schools in florda. I have a friend that goes to famu and interns for a lawyer that practices criminal law in orlando and graduated from barry. He makes 250k a year handling violation of probation and other criminal cases.

your right in the sense that going to those top 4 schools would give an individual a leg up in corporate law. But really lets be honest none of the schools in the southeast is no yale. I think for me the best route to go is to find the most cost effective school with a good bar pass rate so i have no debt. I have another friend that graduated from hofsta has 120k in debt and has not found a job after 9 months.

Right....sure.  Go ahead.  Go to Nova.  Good luck!

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 09:41:56 PM »
not spending 30k a year to go to any school

have other options

thanks for the general input, i would add every law school has a lot of people that are kicked out/drop out from the first year.

if it was easy everyone would do it...

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 01:27:25 AM »
thanks for your response

You are completely clueless. You said you don't want to stuck in a library 80 hours a week.. well the truth is in horrible schools you actually have to study more because everyone is competitive as hell. Most of them realize they have to be at the top of the class to get any jobs at all after graduation. The rest are trying to be at the top because they are trying to transfer. If you think going to a low rated school means you don't have to study as much you're going to end up dropping out.

You also might want to do research on public service jobs. They are NOT full of third tier law grads. Believe it or not there are tons of students at top tier law schools who are trying to be DA's. A lot of the times public service jobs that pay 40k a year are just as competitive as big law jobs.

Your example of a Barry grad is an exception. Terrell Owens went to Tennessee Chattanooga for football, I guess that means other football players from that school can expect to be in the NFL right?

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 10:56:28 AM »
not spending 30k a year to go to any school

have other options

thanks for the general input, i would add every law school has a lot of people that are kicked out/drop out from the first year.

if it was easy everyone would do it...

UF has like what, 1% or 2% of its students being kicked out after the first year.  Nova has somewhere betwen 10%-20% or more. At Nova, if you were slightly above in the upper half the class after the first year, when those bottom student are kicked out you will automatically downgraded to lower half of the lcas.   

Ninja1

• ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 03:59:02 PM »
I mean, Nova is good enough, but like everyone else has been saying, it's way behind the Big 3 and Stetson in FL.

And yeah, not every school has a bunch of drop outs and kick outs. Last year, FSU had 3 1Ls fail out, 3 leave, and 3 transfer out.

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2009, 07:17:09 PM »

This point is simply false. See here: http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog/2008/04/law-school-ra-1.html
Nova has the 19th highest 1L attrition rate among all 195 law schools.