Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: While you were sweating the law review, the legal industry was in full meltdown.  (Read 1791 times)

Jake_MONDATTA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
It's really terrible out there.  I've seen two rounds of layoffs at my firm and we're not even close to to the top of the list.  Lots of first years getting the axe.

http://www.abovethelaw.com/layoffs/

http://lawshucks.com/layoff-tracker/#layoffs-08

"Legapp" Stands for "Legal Application"

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
We know.  But what do you suggest we do about it?  Really, the only effective thing for law students to do at this point in time is to make themselves into the most attractive candidates possible so that next year's OCI won't be a complete wash for them.  So... shouldn't they be sweating Law Review?
I am officially a law school graduate : )

Jake_MONDATTA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
To be honest, in this economy, I wouldn't know what advice to give.  Doing well in school can't be a bad thing, though.

The best thing, I would imagine, is to get experience and make connections.  Good grades and pedigree are good, but never underestimate the power of favoritism and familiarity.  I've seen my firm take mediocre summer associates over relatively unknown candidates who looked stellar on paper. 

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
To be honest, in this economy, I wouldn't know what advice to give.  Doing well in school can't be a bad thing, though.

The best thing, I would imagine, is to get experience and make connections.  Good grades and pedigree are good, but never underestimate the power of favoritism and familiarity.  I've seen my firm take mediocre summer associates over relatively unknown candidates who looked stellar on paper. 

I think both excelling and networking are important.  If you can get the credentials on the resume, and have some great contacts through diligent networking, you'll have a much easier time of it.  Networking isn't really optional anymore (assuming it ever was optional to begin with).

But to say LR isn't important just because the economy tanked is just stupid.  There are many boutique firms and many (most?) federal judges require LR or journal for anyone they hire, even if their connections are decent.  In a time when the legal market is saturated with little to no demand, anything you can add to your resume that helps distinguish you from the rest of the unemployed attorneys out there is great.

Jake_MONDATTA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
"But to say LR isn't important just because the economy tanked is just stupid.'

First of all, nobody said that...  but second, I don't think being on the review is going to get you a job at my firm in this climate.  I'll re-post if I find out I'm wrong in the next few months when hiring decisions are made.

Anyway, sounds like you've got everything figured out. That's awesome.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
"But to say LR isn't important just because the economy tanked is just stupid.'

First of all, nobody said that...  but second, I don't think being on the review is going to get you a job at my firm in this climate.  I'll re-post if I find out I'm wrong in the next few months when hiring decisions are made.

Anyway, sounds like you've got everything figured out. That's awesome.

True, you didn't say that, but that was the implication I got from your thread title.  And I didn't say that being on LR would get you a job, at your firm or any other.  I said that anything on your resume that distinguishes you from others is great.  This includes great grades and great experience.  I also said that NOT having LR will be an automatic disqualifier for some jobs, including some small boutique firms and federal clerkships.

And I certainly don't have everything figured out.  I'm lucky to still have my job, but not every first year at my firm has been as lucky.  I plan on doing everything to keep it, but there are no guarantees. 

Netopalis

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - troop85eagle
    • View Profile
Not everybody wants a biglaw job....In my hometown, no attorneys have lost their jobs due to the financial situation.
Mercer University School of Law '12

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Not everybody wants a biglaw job....In my hometown, no attorneys have lost their jobs due to the financial situation.

They may not have lost their jobs, but that's not to say that they're making any money.  Outside the criminal arena, and depending on how hard the downturn has affected your local economy, I think it's a reasonable assumption that the normal business of a lot of small firms and solos (RE and estate planning come to mind) have seen their business dwindle due to people scrimping and saving.  Some people are even putting off their divorces because they'll lose so much money on jointly owned real estate.

Netopalis

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - troop85eagle
    • View Profile
Well, you have to understand that I come from a very small town, which is essentially a sort of insulated economy.  My Mom's a realtor and is still doing fairly well with it, and we really haven't seen much of an effect here...
Mercer University School of Law '12

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I don't understand the OP.  You say in one thread (dated 1/9/09):

"In my opinion (as a 1L who has not yet received his grades), succeeding on law school exams is mostly about anticipating what the highest authority wants to hear and making sure to give it to that authority quickly, efficiently and in a way that is pleasing to the authority.  In that way, succeeding in law is very much like practicing law... that's essentially what you have to do in order to argue your client's case."

Now you're working at a firm two months later?  What gives?  Are you a flame alt of someone's?  Wally?

If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.