Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Death sentences for rapists  (Read 6316 times)

mbw

• LSD Obsessed
  • TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
Re: Death sentences for rapists
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2009, 02:10:28 PM »
I just see no reason not to end the life of such an individual.

Well.

There are a bunch of reasons.

Exactly.

But to move forward with my previous post, do you believe that someone who beats his/her spouse two or more times should be put to death too? 
I'm in a lynch mob?  I had no idea.  This is really worrying; I really don't have time for another extra-curricular activity.

space for rent.

Pardon Johnny Cash.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2009, 02:11:49 PM »

Well.

Exactly.

But to move forward with my previous post, do you believe that someone who beats his/her spouse two or more times should be put to death too? 

What're you getting at with this question?

'blueskies

• LSD Obsessed
  • your changing skyline is twisting me up inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2009, 02:13:10 PM »
Re: rapists v other criminals...I said I think rapists (in certain cases, though I didn't  specify repeat offenders and the worst, most violent, and most damaging but generally that's what I'm referring to) should remain in jail instead of being rehabilitated because I think that is the most suitable punishment for their action, which doesn't necessarily correlate with the sociopathy of the individual.
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

mugatu

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'll show YOU pacifist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2009, 02:13:33 PM »

Well.

Exactly.

I assume the set-up is for como?
Let me show you Derelicte. It is a fashion, a way of life inspired by the very homeless, the vagrants, the crack whores that make this wonderful city so unique.

They're break-dance fighting.

mbw

• LSD Obsessed
  • TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2009, 02:15:19 PM »

Well.

Exactly.

Is there a difference between spousal assault (w/o rape) and the rape of a non-spouse/partner?  What if the spouse is badly beaten, and the person who was raped suffered very few physical injuries?  Is it the actual physical act of genital penetration which is the capital crime?
I'm in a lynch mob?  I had no idea.  This is really worrying; I really don't have time for another extra-curricular activity.

space for rent.

Pardon Johnny Cash.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2009, 02:20:10 PM »

Well.

Exactly.

Is there a difference between spousal assault (w/o rape) and the rape of a non-spouse/partner?  What if the spouse is badly beaten, and the person who was raped suffered very few physical injuries?  Is it the actual physical act of genital penetration which is the capital crime?

Again, I'm no expert but I believe there is a difference.  Our criminal justice system makes these value differentiations all of the time.  But yeah, the actual of genital penetration makes it worse.

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2009, 02:22:14 PM »
You raise good issues mb-dub.  

I don't really subscribe to the idea that rape is 'just another' violent assault.  There is an inherent and explicit sexual aspect to rape that is not engendered in other forms of assault.  I think how sexuality (and its importance to one's identity and dignity) is viewed makes a monumental difference in the perceived damage of the act of rape.

I guess my sexuality is one of the most important parts of myself, and my autonomy over who I share my body with is incredibly important.  That may be why I view rape as an especially heinous assault.  It strips a part of that autonomy forever.

You definitely have gotten me thinking much harder about the whole concept of rape though...I'll have to get back with more..
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

mbw

• LSD Obsessed
  • TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2009, 02:23:01 PM »

Well.

Exactly.

I assume the set-up is for como?

I finally understood what you weren't asking if I was setting up to cite some case, e.g. Como v. Blah.  Duh.  Yes, it was a set for CTL :)

space for rent.

Pardon Johnny Cash.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2009, 02:23:32 PM »

You definitely have gotten me thinking much harder about the whole concept of rape though...I'll have to get back with more..

pwnd.   :P

mugatu

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'll show YOU pacifist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2009, 02:24:33 PM »
 :D

<---hard to understand
Let me show you Derelicte. It is a fashion, a way of life inspired by the very homeless, the vagrants, the crack whores that make this wonderful city so unique.

They're break-dance fighting.