Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Death sentences for rapists  (Read 6241 times)

Liz Lemon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Death sentences for rapists
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2009, 01:56:14 PM »
tbh, I think I'm certain (and maybe most) instances of rape, I think I'd rather have my tax money go to keeping the criminal in jail as opposed to rehabilitating them to live a better life

me too.  i honestly think these people shouldn't coexist with mainstream society but i wanted to bring it up for sake of being more neutral.

if anyone deserves to be permanently institutionalized, it's a d-bag cruising match.com.  just in case your blood hasn't boiled enough today, i present you with the article:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27825997/

'blueskies

• LSD Obsessed
  • your changing skyline is twisting me up inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2009, 01:57:07 PM »
I was talking about rapists, not criminals in general. js
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

Pardon Johnny Cash.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2009, 01:59:12 PM »
I was talking about rapists, not criminals in general. js

How different are rapists and criminals?  I'm not trying to be difficult, but it's a legitimate question.  Are they actually a very unique type of criminal or do they follow the pathologies of other violent offenders?  

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2009, 01:59:35 PM »
And I doubt that we're able to rehabilitate rapists. 

Really?

I feel like there is an assumption in this discussion that "rape" is violent stranger rape by unfeeling psychopaths who do it essentially to torture people. There are a lot of other kinds of rapists out there, and I think many of them are absolutely able to be rehabilitated.
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.

mbw

• LSD Obsessed
  • TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2009, 01:59:57 PM »
I'm probably going to be in the minority here, but I personally think that rape should be treated no differently than any other violent assault/battery, and I say that as a survivor who was stalked for weeks prior to my assault.  I think that it's incredibly patriarchal to treat it differently from other assaults (with the exception of assaults against minors, who in fact need the extra protection.)  I think the ONLY way we get more people to report rape is to de-stigmatize it, strip it of its sexual overtones.  When people are no more ashamed to admit they were raped than if they were mugged, then we'll see more victims/survivors coming forward to prosecute.

To go a bit deeper, I view a movement to treat rape, particularly the rape of women, differently from other physical assaults as a remnant of the age when women were treated as chattel - the "dishonor" of the woman is in fact the "dishonor" of her father/brother/husband/son.  I really don't want to move back towards that model.

ETA to include battery.
I'm in a lynch mob?  I had no idea.  This is really worrying; I really don't have time for another extra-curricular activity.

space for rent.

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2009, 02:00:38 PM »
I just don't think our society really takes rape seriously.  I'm not very good with policy or anything, and I'm a 0L, so take my legal discussions with a big grain of salt.  At any rate, even though this was posted on a law school discussion board, I meant to try to have a philosophical convo about rape and state-sanctioned penalties.  I understand that there are many problems with our cj system, and you guys have covered many.  

At the same time, isn't there somthing fundamentally wrong with our cj system if it fails to bring rapists to justice all the time?  Isn't there something wrong with society if rape isn't taken more seriously?  I guess the whole Chris Brown/Rhianna thing has been in my head a lot lately, and I know it wasn't rape, but the incident (and many of the reactions to it) really seem to dance around a glaring flaw in our society which made me think harder about rape.

I think one of the most compelling aspects of this discourse concerns how this behavior goes beyond maximizing a rational utility.  For instance, when one robs a bank, there is a net monetary gain.  Well, of course there are those bank robbers in it for the thrill, these would be the minority.  However, with rape, there's a serious serial and predatory characteristic.  It's an action done for the action itself, not a subsequent utility.  This really casts doubts upon the potential for preventing repeat behavior.  Therefore, removing these offenders from our society permanently often (always?) very necessary.

Yea, that's kinda what I was trying to draw out earlier.  Rape is done for the sake of rape in all non-date rape cases that I can conceive of.  Murder is a lot more tricky, because there are lot of 'reasons' and factors that lead to one person's death at another's hands.  

Sure, you have some individuals who kill for the sake of killing, but you USUALLY have rapists (non-date rape) who rape for that end.  I don't think it would be an unfair characterization to claim that these people have no remorse for their actions, pose a likely threat to society, and have permanently damaged another human being.  I just see no reason not to end the life of such an individual.
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2009, 02:02:39 PM »
Rape is done for the sake of rape in all non-date rape cases that I can conceive of.  Murder is a lot more tricky, because there are lot of 'reasons' and factors that lead to one person's death at another's hands.  

Sure, you have some individuals who kill for the sake of killing, but you USUALLY have rapists (non-date rape) who rape for that end.  I don't think it would be an unfair characterization to claim that these people have no remorse for their actions, pose a likely threat to society, and have permanently damaged another human being.  I just see no reason not to end the life of such an individual.

Again, I think you are carving out a very narrow category of rape. Most people who rape are not sociopaths.

ETA: What makes you think they have no remorse for their actions? I mean, where are you getting that?
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.

Pardon Johnny Cash.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2009, 02:03:41 PM »
And I doubt that we're able to rehabilitate rapists. 

Really?

I feel like there is an assumption in this discussion that "rape" is violent stranger rape by unfeeling psychopaths who do it essentially to torture people. There are a lot of other kinds of rapists out there, and I think many of them are absolutely able to be rehabilitated.

I agree with you.  I think the act of rape, while being very emotionally charged, is poorly understood by laymen like me.  I just trade on my own personal biases.  MBW, makes a good point about this as well.

mugatu

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'll show YOU pacifist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2009, 02:04:16 PM »
I just see no reason not to end the life of such an individual.

Well.

There are a bunch of reasons.
Let me show you Derelicte. It is a fashion, a way of life inspired by the very homeless, the vagrants, the crack whores that make this wonderful city so unique.

They're break-dance fighting.

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2009, 02:07:33 PM »
Rape is done for the sake of rape in all non-date rape cases that I can conceive of.  Murder is a lot more tricky, because there are lot of 'reasons' and factors that lead to one person's death at another's hands.  

Again, I think you are carving out a very narrow category of rape. Most people who rape are not sociopaths.

I guess I am, but that's the category I was discussing in that post. 
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.