Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Death sentences for rapists  (Read 6221 times)

mugatu

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'll show YOU pacifist.
    • View Profile
Re: Death sentences for rapists
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 01:07:29 PM »
I'm pretty sure this would result in fewer people getting convicted of rape.
Let me show you Derelicte. It is a fashion, a way of life inspired by the very homeless, the vagrants, the crack whores that make this wonderful city so unique.

They're break-dance fighting.

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2009, 01:08:31 PM »
I agree with goalie. Someone issue a press release.

The way the cj system deals with rape is often flawed. The death penalty is also profoundly flawed and not the answer - and application could increase the problems wrt rape prosecutions.

At the risk of sounding like lawdog (I hope I don't already - I'm curious in these issues; I'm not trying to start an ideological battle or anything), how could application of the death penalty increase problems with rape prosecutions?  I take your word that it could; I guess I'm also just wondering how rape prosecutions are already (at times) flawed.
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

Liz Lemon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2009, 01:15:57 PM »
Even with a 99.999999% level of certainty, I wouldn't go for it.

thank you.  besides, it's more costly to execute a person than it is to pay for a life sentence.  i love my home state for figuring that out *jersey fist pump*

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2009, 01:18:10 PM »

thank you.  besides, it's more costly to execute a person than it is to pay for a life sentence.  i love my home state for figuring that out *jersey fist pump*

If we're talking about concerns for justice, though, I don't think cost should be a cardinal factor (unless justice for a rape victim somehow must take into account economic considerations for the society he/she lives in...I don't think it does).

Pardon Johnny Cash.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2009, 01:21:48 PM »
I personally think life in a max-security prison is a lot worse of a punishment for rapists.... Particularly since rapists are near the very bottom of prison heirachies.  However, I wouldn't life sentences for rapists.

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2009, 01:23:02 PM »
Well, I said repeat [rape] offenders, so they would be sentenced to death b/c they DID IN FACT re-offend.  I think murder is a little different, because I can see many scenarios in which murder was accidental, or aggravated or something.  Rapists really seek to rape for the sake of it, unlike most murderers.  

Again, I realize there are all sorts of evidentiary implications and this and that, but I'm talking about guilt to 99.999999% (or whatever the burden of proof might be set at - much greater than beyond reasonable doubt.  'practical certainty' might be a good phrase to use).  I understand this level of proof is probably impossible to reach in almost any case, but that's the beauty of hypotheticals.  

Even if someone is convicted of rape twice, there's no guarantee that either one (or both) of the convictions definitively mean that the person committed the crime.  I see this disproportionately affecting low income defendants who don't have access to high quality lawyer representation.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

Susan B. Anthony

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2009, 01:25:09 PM »
I am travelling right now so cAn't type a long response. If no one else picks up my concerns I'll come back to this, but I'm thinking in large part about the kinds of rape that are prosecuted/the kinds of rape we consider "real" - that is, a large percentages of rapes are committed by acquaintances or people who are closer to the victim/survivor. There are evidentiary and social issuesthere.

'blueskies

• LSD Obsessed
  • your changing skyline is twisting me up inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2009, 01:25:53 PM »
I can understand how emotionally you can think rapists/repeat rapist deserve to die. Rape is one of the worst, if not the worst, crime a person can commit. However, I don't think legally the death penalty is a good solution. It has very little deterrent effect...for it to be a deterrent you'd have to assume rapists act rationally and wouldn't commit the crime because of the penalty, and I think in general rapists, especially repeat rapists, assume they won't get caught so any penalty won't have a deterrent effect on their actions. In terms of punishment, I think legally death is too harsh. I agree that currently the penalties aren't near harsh enough, I agree that life without parole is probably the best option. 
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2009, 01:29:38 PM »
Wow, I'm a little surprised that I'm in the minority of one here.  I guess it's probably a good thing I don't plan to go into crim. law...  

mugatu

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'll show YOU pacifist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2009, 01:35:15 PM »
I think that the limits people have imposed in this thread are generally good ones. 

Having never experienced being raped, or any involvement with it any way, I don't feel comfortable maintaining that one punishment is more correct than others.  I do think that there's a chance rapists fall into several categories which may need to be dealt with independently (if we're talking rehabilitation - which, to be honest, we are never talking about).
Let me show you Derelicte. It is a fashion, a way of life inspired by the very homeless, the vagrants, the crack whores that make this wonderful city so unique.

They're break-dance fighting.