Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: P's on Transcript  (Read 2370 times)

Machiavelli777

• View Profile
P's on Transcript
« on: March 11, 2009, 01:52:42 AM »
I am worried about having P's (passed grades as opposed to letter grades) on my transcript. I was wondering if this is something I should worry about? And, for those of you that have already applied to law school and gotten in, are P's looked down considerably by admissions officials? I'm a bit worried. Please respond! Thanks for your help.  :-\

SamE397

Re: P's on Transcript
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 09:58:49 AM »
I don't think schools will discriminate against you if you have a solid lsat. If the school/s you're looking into posts an admissions grid in the aba official law school guide you might want to take a look at it to get a better a idea of how they might treat students without a gpa. Here's link unfortunately the sites down right now though. Even if you can't find it for a specific school though I'm sure looking over other schools admissions grids will give you a good idea of how it's generally treated.

http://officialguide.lsac.org/ 

masterpinky0509

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 11:08:50 AM »
How many P's do you have on your transcript? Is your school the type that either a) only greats qualitatively or b) like Brown, offers you the option to take all your classes P/F?

If it is either of those two cases, you will probably have to get a better LSAT than the average applicant w/ grades at your target schools, since a P/F transcript is harder for adcomms to read and discern your abilities.

If, however, you've just taken a few classes P/F, I wouldn't worry at all. I had 2 P's on my transcript, one a voluntary P/F and the other a class that was only graded P/F (creative writing), and it didn't effect my cycle.

Machiavelli777

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 12:29:10 PM »
How many P's do you have on your transcript? Is your school the type that either a) only greats qualitatively or b) like Brown, offers you the option to take all your classes P/F?

If it is either of those two cases, you will probably have to get a better LSAT than the average applicant w/ grades at your target schools, since a P/F transcript is harder for adcomms to read and discern your abilities.

If, however, you've just taken a few classes P/F, I wouldn't worry at all. I had 2 P's on my transcript, one a voluntary P/F and the other a class that was only graded P/F (creative writing), and it didn't effect my cycle.

I go to UCLA where you must take letter grades but students have the option of taking one P/NP class per quarter. I am in the same situation as masterpink, I voluntarily have taken two classes P/NP with the others being mandatory 1-unit Freshman Seminars (strictly graded on P/NP basis; 2 of these seminars were taken).

Pardon Johnny Cash.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 02:14:33 PM »
So the big questions:

- How many out of how many of your classes were p/f?

- Was there a qualitative/narrative portion to your p/fs?

latinlord

• Sr. Citizen
  • ME... Litigating at the Indiana State Court house!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - latinlord
    • View Profile
    • myspace profile, "come and say hello"
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 02:23:52 PM »
i remember a few years ago when I applied the P's affecting my LSAC Gpa... The lower it by .01 for each P... So for instance if you had a 3.6 from your school and 2 pass/fail classes your LSAC gpa will be a 3.58... I know it sux... It was so annoying when I noticed that... Hopefully things are different and changed... If you have a lot and your LSAC gpa and school's gpa has a huge discrepancy you may want to add an addendum explaining it.

Good luck.
Graduated from Indiana Law - Indianapolis!!
Was a 3rd year Visiting Student at Villanova University School of Law.
Graduated from Temple University Beasley School of Law - LL.M in Trial Advocacy Candidate 2010
 Published by Chicano/Latino Law Review of UCLA LAW. & I'm a Licensed Esq. NOW!

Machiavelli777

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 03:43:37 PM »
So the big questions:

Well, I spoke to my counselor (and e-mailed a bunch of others) and they basically said that the 1-unit Freshman Seminars that I was talking about, do not count as P/NP courses--given their inconsiderable weight (only 1 unit), they were taken during Freshman year, and they were graded strictly on that basis (I didn't have a choice to choose a letter grade). As for how many of my classes have been P/NP (or P/F) it has been 2 out of 14 classes that I have taken for letter grades (16 classes in total; 2 P/F, and 2 miniscule P/F Freshman seminars. I am currently a Sophmore and plan on not taking any more courses in this fashion. Remember that UCLA runs on the quarter system and most students take 3/4 classes per quarter; although 3 is the more common since classes are intense and only last 10 weeks. Although, an older student who came here for undergrad that I know told me that he managed to get out of here in 3 years; he told me that he took 5-6 classes voluntarily on P/NP and still got into UCLA Law (he is not an URM, although his GPA was hovering around a 3.8). I am taking part in the Honors program here (were get "Honors" notations on every "Honors" we take) and I am also a URM, if that helps any.

Pardon Johnny Cash.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 04:24:25 PM »
So the big questions:

Well, I spoke to my counselor (and e-mailed a bunch of others) and they basically said that the 1-unit Freshman Seminars that I was talking about, do not count as P/NP courses--given their inconsiderable weight (only 1 unit), they were taken during Freshman year, and they were graded strictly on that basis (I didn't have a choice to choose a letter grade). As for how many of my classes have been P/NP (or P/F) it has been 2 out of 14 classes that I have taken for letter grades (16 classes in total; 2 P/F, and 2 miniscule P/F Freshman seminars. I am currently a Sophmore and plan on not taking any more courses in this fashion. Remember that UCLA runs on the quarter system and most students take 3/4 classes per quarter; although 3 is the more common since classes are intense and only last 10 weeks. Although, an older student who came here for undergrad that I know told me that he managed to get out of here in 3 years; he told me that he took 5-6 classes voluntarily on P/NP and still got into UCLA Law (he is not an URM, although his GPA was hovering around a 3.8). I am taking part in the Honors program here (were get "Honors" notations on every "Honors" we take) and I am also a URM, if that helps any.

You have absolutely nothing to worry about.  Well, nothing to worry about with this situation.  You still must worry about our civilization devolving into a Mad Maxesque post-apocolyptic world.

sheltron5000

• Sr. Citizen
  • All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 04:30:11 PM »
So the big questions:

You have absolutely nothing to worry about.  Well, nothing to worry about with this situation.  You still must worry about our civilization devolving into a Mad Maxesque post-apocolyptic world.

my greatest fear, how did you know? Is everyone else getting prepared? I have five years worth of food and water in my basement and Im taking survival and self defense classes.

I'm planning on being king.
LSN

I'd love to join this LGBT club.  It's the Legos, Gobots, Barbies, and other Toys group, right?  I'll show up with an armful of toys.

lyre

• brightly burns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 04:33:55 PM »
Don't worry about it.  I had a few Ps on my transcript from classes that were only graded P/F... for example, I was a journalism major and if you were in any practical skills journalism courses (like newspaper staff, TV station, radio station) it was all P/F.  I was in at least one of those every semester, plus a freshman seminar like you were talking about, and I don't think it effected my admissions at all.  I got in to all the schools I expected (and even a couple I didn't!).