Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is it ever ok to renege?  (Read 2063 times)

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Is it ever ok to renege?
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 02:27:23 PM »
@#!* all this gestapo poo. Your career isn't going to be over because you blow off an unpaid gig for a paid one. Call A and tell them what's up and don't let yourself get exploited.

1L?

You would be shocked at how incredibly small the legal profession is.  I haven't been to a single interview in the last year where someone didn't know someone that I have worked for. 

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2009, 02:55:02 PM »
@#!* all this gestapo poo. Your career isn't going to be over because you blow off an unpaid gig for a paid one. Call A and tell them what's up and don't let yourself get exploited.

1L?

You would be shocked at how incredibly small the legal profession is.  I haven't been to a single interview in the last year where someone didn't know someone that I have worked for. 

1L indeed, and I'm aware that the law is by it's very nature insulated, but honestly, you're not going to be forever buried because you decided to take a bigger, better deal. And seeing as the OP hasn't even started his unpaid job yet, there's no harm and no foul near as I can see.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2009, 03:05:35 PM »
I would have had similar thoughts my first year.  The chances of there not being someone at Job A that knows someone at Job B is extremely slim.  If you irritate the right person, you can seriously screw up your career.  I worked with one attorney that almost every one of my 3L OCI interviews knew.  If I had pissed that girl off, by not doing an assignment, etc., they would have heard about it and I never would have gotten a job.  When you get into the realm of competitive jobs (like a lot of the 1L government jobs are), you get into an even more selective group.  The best government jobs and the best firm jobs contain numerous grads from the same school and way too many people that know each other.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2009, 03:14:31 PM »

1L?

I've been saying this for years on here, nobody listens until they find out on thier own its actually true.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2009, 03:34:19 PM »
@#!* all this gestapo *&^%. Your career isn't going to be over because you blow off an unpaid gig for a paid one. Call A and tell them what's up and don't let yourself get exploited.

Look, the reality is you never know what kinds of bridges you are burning, so maybe this won't bite him in the ass but maybe it will. The flip side is doing a job he likes instead of maybe doing his dream job for one summer isn't going to ruin his life.

sheltron5000

• Sr. Citizen
  • All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2009, 03:45:26 PM »
The really simple explanation... Call job A and ask them what they think... they might not be that worried about it, and trust me, people will understand when you want to take a paying gig ***IN THIS ECONOMY****

::)
LSN

I'd love to join this LGBT club.  It's the Legos, Gobots, Barbies, and other Toys group, right?  I'll show up with an armful of toys.

keller

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2009, 06:09:23 PM »
The really simple explanation... Call job A and ask them what they think... they might not be that worried about it, and trust me, people will understand when you want to take a paying gig ***IN THIS ECONOMY****[/i

That turns out to be right. I checked first with Career Services, and they told me that as long as I was honest with A, I could ask permission to interview with B. When I talked to A she was very understanding, thanked me for asking permission  first,  and even gave me interview tips. She even added that I was welcome  to work for them this summer or during the school year.

Now, my situation may be unique in that A is an alum and B is a huge name in the field, so maybe she was more willing to sympathize. Granted, I'm sure it's better to never raise the issue of additional opportunities, but I think being as open as possible about the situation might keep bridges intact.

sheltron5000

• Sr. Citizen
  • All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2009, 06:13:56 PM »
I think the bigger thing here was unpaid versus paid. People who offer unpaid internships and such know that people have to pay bills. They just want to offer opportunities even if they don't have money to pay you.

If this were paid versus paid, I think you are absolutely right that people would be much less receptive to your seeking other options.
LSN

I'd love to join this LGBT club.  It's the Legos, Gobots, Barbies, and other Toys group, right?  I'll show up with an armful of toys.

one4theteam

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2009, 09:07:24 PM »
The legal profession makes strange bedfellows.  Don't be too quick to blow anyone off because they don't match your exact needs and interests at the moment.  The person you may be blowing off today may be the very person who can swing you a favor not too far down the road.  In this economy, one favor is all you need!

As for the comment about not letting yourself be exploited, I don't know any associate two or three years into practice who would argue such a thing is possible.  At least not any employed ones.

You seem to be taking the high road about this whole proces, which at this very early point in your career is a very prudent course of action.

no634

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • No 634
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2009, 03:05:47 PM »
I agree to check into splitting.  But even if B is your dream job, I really do think you need to stick with A if splitting is not a possibility.  If splitting isn't a possibility, I'd explain to B that you are really interested in the opportunity and would love to pursue it next year (if that's the truth) but unfortunately you've already committed to another employer for this summer.

And unpaid summer gigs can sometimes be stretched out to half-year jobs (depending on the type of work of course). Check with B. If anything, the interviewing is a good experience.