Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Getting off a waitlist  (Read 5090 times)

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Getting off a waitlist
« on: March 10, 2009, 09:22:26 PM »
Has anyone ever had any luck getting off the waitlist and if so what did they do.  I am having someone else write another letter of recommendation for me and writing the school a letter, but I wanted to know if anyone has ever had any luck getting off a waitlist and what they did. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! 

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Getting off a waitlist
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 09:39:21 PM »
You are basically doing everything you can.  Make sure you mention any recent accolade in your LOCI, and send in your latest transcript.

Good luck.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 07:04:49 AM »
Yea I guess other than a visit there isn't much else I can do.  I was hoping someone might have some miracle suggestion, but at least I tried.  Well if anyone else has ever gotten off a waitlist let me know what you did.

LawSchoolAuthority

• View Profile
    • Law School Authority
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 04:52:14 PM »
I agree with botbot, writing and LOCI and sending in additional LORs is pretty standard for trying to get off the waitlist. 

Since those are the standard techniques of getting off a waitlist, you should try to be a little creative.  I'm assuming from your LSN account that you are trying to get off the waitlist as SU.  If this is the case, you might want to make sure that your continued communication with SU is tailored especially for them.  This means more than the standard "I am still very interested in attending school X."

For example, SU prides itself on the social justice aspect of its law school; accordingly, it may be beneficial for you to highlight any service oriented activities you have participated in since you applied.  Also, you may ask your recommender to highlight your aptitude for service to others.  (assuming this is all true).  Also, if you are in the area, you may wish to schedule a visit.  Scheduling a visit at the very least can show a school that you are seriously interested in attending despite the fact that you are on the waitlist. Just make sure that you contact the admissions office to let them know you are coming and that you would like to schedule meetings, if possible, with someone in the admissions office.  See this thread for scheduling a visit - http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,4018539.msg5297264.html#msg5297264

ohioan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 05:39:31 PM »
I wonder if it is worth it though. I mean, you likely won't get much in free financial aid. For most schools the scholarship money is gone and although they do get some of it "back" because other first choice students decline to go there, the schools don't seem to reallocate those funds to the rest of the entering class. So if you have a scholarship to a tier 2 school now, and you (like me) are hoping to get into a tier 1 school, it will be at full price. Of course, if that t1 school is in the top 20, then it is probably worth it, but sometimes, I imagine it would be better in the long run to go to a tier 2 with the scholarship than the tier 1. In my case, I am considering between two tier 2's in chicago (kent and depaul) over a former tier 1 (cincinnati) and any other tier 1's that decide to accept me.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 12:56:24 AM »
A visit would be the best way to do it, but I am in China right now so that is going to be tough.  I wrote them e-mail telling them I was here and they wrote back adding they had that inserted to the file I am still waitng for my old bosses letter to come in, but all I can do for that is wait.  The financial aid thing is an issue I don't have any tier 2 scholarships just a bunch of tier 4 schools offering me tons of money, but I would rather me at a school with a good reputation I think.  I went to an undergrad that I loved but Chico State doesn't have much prestige and if I have a chance to go to a school with at least some name recognition I want to take it.

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 01:08:11 AM »
I will pm you a detailed suggestion.

gmen2009

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 05:20:13 AM »
the email i got asked me not to call or email about the waitlist, just wait for further instructions in the coming weeks. should i still write a loci and or visit the school? i don't want to annoy them and have them think i didn't read their directions.

LawSchoolAuthority

• View Profile
    • Law School Authority
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 05:55:46 AM »
the email i got asked me not to call or email about the waitlist, just wait for further instructions in the coming weeks. should i still write a loci and or visit the school? i don't want to annoy them and have them think i didn't read their directions.

I responded to your post in the other thread.  But again, I think that a school's request for you not to call/email regarding the waitlist can be distinguished from applicants sending LOCIs/additional LORs/visiting.  While you should wait to contact the school regarding your waitlist status until your receive further instructions, by all means, secure another LOR, send in a great LOCI, and take this opportunity to visit the school.

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2009, 07:51:15 PM »

I responded to your post in the other thread.  But again, I think that a school's request for you not to call/email regarding the waitlist can be distinguished from applicants sending LOCIs/additional LORs/visiting.  While you should wait to contact the school regarding your waitlist status until your receive further instructions, by all means, secure another LOR, send in a great LOCI, and take this opportunity to visit the school.

+1