;

Poll

Questions about LSAT

Non-traditional student
 1 (25%)
need high LSAT score
 3 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Author Topic: African American Female  (Read 3260 times)

Pops Love

• View Profile
African American Female
« on: March 10, 2009, 07:04:12 PM »
Hello,
I have decided (for some time now) to go to law school.  I will graduate from Cal State Fullerton in May '09 and plan to take the LSAT on 9/26/09.  I can only attend law school in California because of family obligations.  My question is, with a gpa of 3.0 what would I need to score on the LSAT to get into Tier 1 and Tier 2 schools?  I have worked in the legal field for over 10 years and been a secretary for 7.  Thanks!

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: African American Female
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 08:37:28 PM »
Being AA will help a ton.

I think 165+, you're in anywhere. 155+, you're still fightin' at most places.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Pops Love

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 10:02:24 PM »
Thank you for responding.  I was actually thinking that I would have to score over 160, so I'm going to take the TestMaster course and give it my very best shot with lots of studying.  Any other tips would be helpful.  Thanks again. 

"That One"

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 11:17:41 PM »
apply early

Pops Love

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 11:58:42 AM »
I do plan to apply early, however, I am taking the 9/26 LSAT and aren't most applications due 10/1?  Is it wise to submit applications without knowing your score yet or should I wait until I receive my score?  Thanks. 

PaleForce

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 12:03:03 PM »
October is when most schools start taking applications.  EA or ED due dates tend to be within a month or so of 10/1, but most schools continue taking apps until at least February, some take them almost up until the start of school (these tend to be the T4 schools).  So, if you want to submit after you receive your score, you should be able to get all your apps in by November 1st, if they're ready to go.  Good luck!

SASS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 12:40:59 PM »
Yeah, october is the start date. You will have your LSAT score in October, probably so you will still be applying relatively early, assuming you are happy with your score. Keep in mind some schools (most maybe) have rolling admissions so the earlier it is in, the better. But applying in the month of October should be sufficient.

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 08:42:17 PM »
You're coming from a Cal State school, which, in reality, hurts you a little, in light of your GPA. If your major was a difficult one, that will compensate some. If you want to go to a T14 (Stanford, Berkeley), you will need a 165+. If you want to go to UCLA or USC, you need to score in the 160-165 range. USD, UCH, UCD, or Loyola, get 158-162. And if you want to go to USF or Southwestern, you need to plan on 155-159.

Essays and "soft factors" (i.e., work experience, LOR's, etc) can help a lot for URM's. If you worked a lot during school, be sure to tell the adcoms. Ditto if you have a history of doing poorly standardized exams. Do an addendum for either grades or LSAT, but NOT BOTH. If you do both, you come off as making excuses. Besides, if you do both addenda, what you're telling adcoms is that they don't have anything reliable to evaluate you with, which leads to denials. If you do well on the LSAT, write an addendum for your grades (illness, family tragedy, learning disability, sensory impairment, etc).

If your grades improved as you progressed through school, be sure to highlight that, as well, as students almost always take the harder courses of their programs in the final two years. Put it in your GPA addendum.

Also, highlight your community service, if you have it. And write and rewrite and rewrite and re-edit and rewrite your personal statement at least 20 times, no joke. Make it perfect. You won't rewrite the entire thing, just edit parts of it for vernacular, sentence structure, organization, vocabulary, spelling and grammar, etc.

Buy these these books:

The Elements of Style, Strunk and White ($20)
How to Get into the Top Law Schools, Richard Montauk ($25)

PowerScore Logic Games Bible ($40 new, Amazon.com)
PowerScore Logical Reasining Bible ($40 new, Amazon.com)
PowerScore Reading Comprehension Bible ($40 new, Amazon.com)
All Three Next 10 LSAT's ($20 each new, Books are Green, Purple and Red, Blue and Gold, Order at LSAC Website)
McGraw Hills LSAT ($20 Barnes and Noble) Note: Good for Logic Games only, especially diagramming...the best!
LSAC SuperPrep (free through LCAS Law Services if you are approved for a fee waiver)
Either Kaplan 180 or Kaplan Advanced

In addition, go to the LSAC website and Order tests #42-56
Take your last 15 proctored exams with these books, b/c they physically resemble the real testing materals (small, flat).

Read the Scientific American Magazine Regularly
Read the Wall Street Journal Regularly
Read The Smithsonian Magazine regularly

Put in four-five hours per day every day. Take at least three timed exams per week during your final two months of prep (you should ideally do six months of prep).

Start slowly. Lead off by reading the PowerScore books and doing all exercises thoroughly, studying the explanations. Begin with the Reading Comprehension Bible for two weeks. Read and re-read; repeat the lessons and study daily. The next two weeks do the Logical Reasoning Bible. Then in your final two weeks read the Logic Games Bible. Follow the approaches to the questions, but use the McGraw Hills Book to learn the most efficient diagramming techniques. Again...DO ALL EXERCISES and read all explanations. Note which questions give you the most trouble and devote extra time to them.

Begin using your SuperPrep Book after six-eight weeks...read it at night for 15-20 minutes before bed and in the morning. During your third month, begin doing the Next-10 and start timing yourself. Learn pacing. Take advantage of the fact that you don't have to do questions in order. In LR, the questions generally get more difficult towards the end of the section (last 5-6 questions), but not always.

Set aside a day for "Lab", where you work only on one section (LG, RC or LR) for that day (4-5 hours). Work on your weaknesses more than your strengths. That might seem redundant, but you'd be surprized; it takes discipline to do that.

Develop a schedule and stick to it. Don't worry about speed early on...worry about understanding the question types and how to approach them. Speed will come.

If you do these things I am telling you, you could be going to Stanford or Berkeley, no joke!

Good luck!  ;D 

Feel free to PM me if you need anything else...

LAorNY

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 12:13:46 AM »
Hello,
I have decided (for some time now) to go to law school.  I will graduate from Cal State Fullerton in May '09 and plan to take the LSAT on 9/26/09.  I can only attend law school in California because of family obligations.  My question is, with a gpa of 3.0 what would I need to score on the LSAT to get into Tier 1 and Tier 2 schools?  I have worked in the legal field for over 10 years and been a secretary for 7.  Thanks!

Hey, I got to Fullerton too...maybe we can exchange study tips for the LSAT...

2008safire

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2009, 01:17:26 AM »
I agree with "Ninja1" and "That One", you are going to need to apply early and try to get a LSAT score of 160. I also graduated with a 3.0 gpa and scored a 155 on my LSAT, and i can tell you it really is a struggle.don't forget that your LSAC gpa might have you dropping about .3 points bringing you down to about a 2.7gpa. APPLY EARLY AND AIM FOR 160+.