Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Florida State 1L Taking Questions  (Read 2198 times)

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Florida State 1L Taking Questions
« on: March 10, 2009, 07:02:55 PM »
There's an older one of these threads I created, but it's probably buried by now, so I thought I'd start a new one for anyone considering FSU.

Ask about whatever you want; the law school, the university, Tallahassee, anything. If I don't know, I'll find out for you.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

iahurricane

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Florida State 1L Taking Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 04:32:57 AM »
Witnessed any athletes cheating so far?  ;D

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 07:05:39 PM »
Sadly, the law school isn't exactly stocked with athletes or the athletically inclined, so no. :)

beinlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 12:34:40 AM »
I know your thread says Florida State but anything on UM? I live in NYC and have lived there my whole life so I was wondering about Florida life and etc.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 02:31:58 AM »
I do have a few UM thoughts, yes... ;)

Actually, Miami is a really good school. If you want to work in South Florida, want to make your way to Florida but can't get FSU or UF, or want to go to school in Florida but may want to get back out of the state for a job (I believe it has better national placement than any other FL school), Miami is a good choice.

Miami carries a ton of weight both in Florida and outside of the state. It's not cheap (when I did the math, I couldn't have graduated there with under $200k in debt, compared to around $100k from FSU or UF), but I think it's worth every cent if you go. And if you can get one of their many scholarships for a year or two, you're really cool.

And as for Florida, well, I'd say it's god's country. Seriously, I'm not from FL, but I sure hope to live out the rest of my days in Florida.

dennycrane

• Sr. Citizen
  • My Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 08:03:58 AM »

Miami carries a ton of weight both in Florida and outside of the state.

This is not true. Only if you do very well at UM will you have chances outside of the state.
Emory 3L.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2009, 10:16:53 AM »

Miami carries a ton of weight both in Florida and outside of the state. It's not cheap (when I did the math, I couldn't have graduated there with under $200k in debt, compared to around $100k from FSU or UF), but I think it's worth every cent if you go. And if you can get one of their many scholarships for a year or two, you're really cool.

Poeple who invest $200K in a Tier 2 pravate law school thinking it's worth every cent is simply naive, uneducated (about the legal market), and virtually guaranteed to regret their decisions.

(I would like to hear some law graduates' comments about this instead of some naive pre-1L or current law students). 

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2009, 01:33:23 PM »

Poeple who invest $200K in a Tier 2 pravate law school thinking it's worth every cent is simply naive, uneducated (about the legal market), and virtually guaranteed to regret their decisions.

(I would like to hear some law graduates' comments about this instead of some naive pre-1L or current law students). 

Well I’m a T2 student, have spent more than 200k on my education and have offers for good jobs  locally for when I graduate in May. I don’t think its such a bad investment given two things you must understand before you undertake going to such a school:

1) You best odds of finding a good job will be to look local, so only go where you’re willing to live, going to a T2 school to work in another state, or even another city, is a very bad plan.

2) its imperative that you make things happen for yourself from day one, relying on OCI or mass mailing as your job search techniques is very unwise, its puts all the eggs in someone else’s basket and it will only work reliably for the top 10-15% of the class. Simply put its about the worst odds way of finding a “good” job for most law students at T2 or lower ranked schools. Network, and network right, get involved in the legal community outside of your school, to the point of next to grades this being your top priority from day one and you won’t be in the position of having to take a crap job at graduation because that’s all mass mailing got you. This ties into point 1, stay local, that’s where you networking and reputation will help you the most.

If your unable or unwilling to do those things - then don't go becuase you will end up as one of the bad "statics" coming from a lower ranked school. I have no regrets coming from my school, I could have transferred to a school ranked in the 30s one hour away, but honestly I think that would have diminished my chances of getting a job I liked, not increased them. Being local in the largest city in the state meant I could intern, clerk and network more effectively than being an hour away. Right now my house is 5 mins from all the courthouses, big firms and lawyer gather places. I can network just about anytime of day or night. Its also meant I did not have to rely on the school or the schools rep to find me a job. While my grades would have made OCI pretty easy for me, I never really bothered with it, instead all my offers have come from people I met in the legal community while going to law school, and none of them have been for “crap jobs” or at crap pay, and most of them where offered only to me, since they were unadvertised word of mouth referrals from lawyers and judges who knew me outside of law school.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2009, 05:57:58 PM »
Am I the only who feels that Matthies is just bragging and bragging about himself?

just Trev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2009, 06:39:36 PM »
yes...

yes you are.