Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: True Costs...  (Read 2296 times)

Maddie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: True Costs...
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2009, 12:12:15 PM »
Buy the books on eBay, seriously.  I got a $130 book for $40 in perfect condition, and it was the correct edition.

They won't all be there, but you can make a serious dent in the total.  For 5 classes I ended up paying $250 this semester.

no634

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • No 634
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2009, 01:09:25 PM »
My books were only around $350, at the school bookstore. I don't buy the supplements that only contain statutes, because all of that is available on Westlaw (and it's easier to dump it into your notes from Westlaw.)

A hidden cost is lunch. BRING YOUR OWN LUNCH. It's very easy, especially early in the semester, to go out with classmates for lunch (hey, you want to be social right?) but Chipotle and after-class things like happy hour can go for around $12 a day... And yeah. that adds up.

Also, bring your own coffee (or tea). $2 a pop for coffee or $4 a pop for lattes (plus lunch) makes it really easy to drop $100 per week on day-time food and drink.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2009, 01:55:47 PM »
Books:  About $500-600 a semester.  Add another $100-200 for supplements (you'll have a strange urge to buy them, trust me.  And they are slightly useful).

Unexpected expenses:  how often I feel pressure to go out to eat/drink to socialize.  My advice:  if you're not on a meal plan, pack your lunch for school every day.  You can still hang out with friends during lunch but it will cost much less.  Also, pre-game before going to the bars but thats pretty obvious.

Going to bars, in general, is not necessary.  Avoid the costly Bar Review and enjoy wine with a few friends, at someone's pad, if you really want to drink.

Seriously, I've avoided at least $200 by avoiding all bars.

You can find supplements on reserve at the school library.  AVOID BUYING THEM.

YouShouldFeelPrivileged

• Sr. Citizen
  • Cornell University Law School Class of 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2009, 02:09:04 PM »
Wow, I hadn't thought about the lunch thing...is anyone here on a meal plan, or would you overall recommend just packing a lunch?

Thanks for the Westlaw/Lib tips about supplements; good to know  :)

And thanks everyone for responding, especially about unexpected budget busters.
If I had known my next breath would be my last, I would have held it longer...

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2009, 05:06:28 PM »
Wow, I hadn't thought about the lunch thing...is anyone here on a meal plan, or would you overall recommend just packing a lunch?

Man I donít know about other schools, but at my school a 1L can eat lunch for free just about every day. Just about every day some group is having a meeting, or talk, or presenter in which they provide free lunch if you show up. Like on Mondays I do the black law students meeting, pizza or burritos usually, Tuesday the womenís law student association meeting (a lot of salads), Wednesday the Latino Students association (real Mexican food, sometime a pot luck!) Thursdays the Law School Republicans (sandwiches, they are not that creative), then Fridays the Law Democrats lunch (mostly pizza, but they always have a veggie option too, being so inclusive you know), then the next week Iíll have lunch at the Reproductive Rights students group (an again lots of veggie options here) then the next day the Pro Life students lunch (fetus shaped meat sandwiches) then Iíll go over to the Business law association and get some BBQ, then Environmental Law associations for some free range organic sustainable pitas etc. repeat as necessary. BTW I donít belong to any of those groups, I just eat their free food.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

YouShouldFeelPrivileged

• Sr. Citizen
  • Cornell University Law School Class of 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2009, 06:19:53 PM »

Man I donít know about other schools, but at my school a 1L can eat lunch for free just about every day. Just about every day some group is having a meeting, or talk, or presenter in which they provide free lunch if you show up. Like on Mondays I do the black law students meeting, pizza or burritos usually, Tuesday the womenís law student association meeting (a lot of salads), Wednesday the Latino Students association (real Mexican food, sometime a pot luck!) Thursdays the Law School Republicans (sandwiches, they are not that creative), then Fridays the Law Democrats lunch (mostly pizza, but they always have a veggie option too, being so inclusive you know), then the next week Iíll have lunch at the Reproductive Rights students group (an again lots of veggie options here) then the next day the Pro Life students lunch (fetus shaped meat sandwiches) then Iíll go over to the Business law association and get some BBQ, then Environmental Law associations for some free range organic sustainable pitas etc. repeat as necessary. BTW I donít belong to any of those groups, I just eat their free food.

rofl! fetus shaped meat sandwiches?  ;D
If I had known my next breath would be my last, I would have held it longer...

SweetAsCandy

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2009, 07:58:37 PM »

That was beyond awesome.  :D
Well behaved women rarely make history.

no634

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • No 634
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2009, 05:40:21 PM »

Thanks for the Westlaw/Lib tips about supplements; good to know  :)

And thanks everyone for responding, especially about unexpected budget busters.

I would caution you against free meeting-lunches after the first few weeks. Pizza gets boring AND you'll realize your lunch time is worth more than two slices of pizza (you could be reading!).

And yes, pack lunch! If you go home right after school then your lunch doesn't have to be anything elaborate. I roll up cheese and lunch meat into a heat flour tortillas. These burrito-esque sandwiches are space efficient and less messy than a regular sandwich.

I also use my study carrel as a pantry for non-perishable snacks. :)

If you're ever REALLY short on time then fork + can opener + canned vegs does the trick. Or, if you're hardcore: a fork and a can of spam.