Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: So I'm Considering Law School....  (Read 426 times)

KevinmH9

• View Profile
    • Email
So I'm Considering Law School....
« on: March 09, 2009, 07:26:04 PM »
Hello everyone,

Iím a brand new member to the board with some questions about law school.  I've been heavily considering attending law school, but Iím rather confused as to the direction I should go.  A little bit of background information about myself: I'm 24 years old and graduated from Plymouth State University (N.H.) with a degree in English/Writing with a 3.3 GPA. 

Since high school, I've always wanted to work for a baseball team doing some sort of front office work with the possibility of one day becoming a GM.  I've done some research and it seems as though having a law degree would be beneficial as a job such as that would require a lot of talking to agents, contract negotiations, etc. 

I've also been considering going into a joint JD/MBA program to help further my versatility in both the law and business world. 

Law school is something I have realized will be a lot of work, money and time; but it's a challenge I'm excited and feel ready to engage in. 

Also, I apologize if this topic was not posted on the appropriate board. 

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: So I'm Considering Law School....
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 07:42:51 PM »
Additional education helps climb any corporate ladder (including pro-sport front offices).  Bottom level pro-sports jobs, though, pay $30-40k.  Add the potential $100-200k debt you are considering and you have a recipe for a difficult life.  It would be better to obtain the bottom level job now and obtain the additional education as you climb the ladder.

Netopalis

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - troop85eagle
    • View Profile
Re: So I'm Considering Law School....
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 10:31:44 PM »
I've said it in a thread quite similar to this one, and I'll say it again - don't go to law school unless you would be happy practicing law.  It really doesn't make sense to go for a JD for any other reason, and sports jobs in law are notoriously tough to get, due to the level of competition.  Just based on your GPA, it would be rather difficult to land those positions...
Mercer University School of Law '12