Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Where should I go what Should I do?  (Read 774 times)

nicki39563

• View Profile
    • Email
Where should I go what Should I do?
« on: March 09, 2009, 06:18:41 PM »
My story is one that someone can play a violin to or possibly even right a book about lol. All my life things have not come easy for me. To get into a udergraduate school I had to work hard to get a struggle to get a scholarship while balancing 3 part time jobs. With only twenty-seven hours left of college I was caught and suspened for plagarism for an entire academic year. Honestly I gave up my gpa pumbled to a 2.3 overall, I decided I would give up entirely on my lifelong goal of being a lawyer. While waiting to return to school I joined the army which gave me a new lease on life not to mention financial security something I honestly never had before. I honestly would like to be a lawyer no matter what cost I am torn between getting a masters in public policy or going to law school right away. Any suggestions?

NYCFed

• View Profile
Re: Where should I go what Should I do?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 06:42:14 PM »
You got caught for "plagarism" and you're playing the victim?  If you get A's in all the classes you still have to take for your bachelor's degree, write a killer personal statement, and explain how you have matured and learned since the suspension, law school will still probably be a long shot.

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 02:44:17 PM »
not to mention that if you actually get into law school, you might have a hard time with being admitted to the bar with the plagarism problem

zippyandzap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Clint Dempsey FTW
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 03:17:55 PM »
I also recommend taking some writing courses.  I understand English isn't everyone's first language, and I haven't been a law student for even one second yet, but I would imagine that improved language skills would help a lot.

PravinLal

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 05:17:55 PM »
The plagiarism issue is major, but you may be able to overcome it IF you can show that you take responsibility for it and that you are better than that now.  Experience in the army sounds like one way to show that you are now mature and responsible.  You still need to contact the bar association in the state you will practice in to discuss this issue.  You have made things far more difficult for yourself, but if you are truly determined to practice law, you may still be able to.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 05:59:59 PM »
JD owns the hell out of any masters degree, so yeah, law school if you can.

But, have you taken any practice LSATs?
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

nicki39563

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 03:58:14 PM »
Thank you for all of your advice. Yes I have taken the practice LSAT and I made a 160. Do you think going to grad school and excelling in a Master's in Public Policy program whould increase my chances of getting into law school given my situation?

cvtheis

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 05:36:19 PM »
A Master's probably wont help - they only count your undergraduate GPA.  Best you can do with a 2.3 will be a T3 or T4 school.  Read my posts elsewhere here - I am the voice of doom and gloom.  I do not recommend law school given the job climate -- especially if you go to a T3/T4 and wrack up $150K in debt.  I do not think it is a wise investment.  Your LSAT could get you a decent scholarship at a T4 school -- a real 160 might get you 50 - 75% at Cooley.  That might make it worthwhile...

You dont know me from a hole in the ground.  Do your homework -- do lots of it -- and arrive at your own decision.  I would research (1) tuition cost & scholarships, (2) job outlook, (3) hiring trends, and (4) your personal financial situation.  Then I would ask - 'even though I WANT to do this, SHOULD I?'

Thank you for all of your advice. Yes I have taken the practice LSAT and I made a 160. Do you think going to grad school and excelling in a Master's in Public Policy program whould increase my chances of getting into law school given my situation?