Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: what happens if your laptop stops working during a test?  (Read 1447 times)

justice4u

• View Profile
    • Email
what happens if your laptop stops working during a test?
« on: March 09, 2009, 12:52:07 PM »
The school that i will be attending requires that we submit tests electronically. So has this ever happened to anyone. can you opt to take a hand written test instead?

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: what happens if your laptop stops working during a test?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 01:14:09 PM »
You start crying and everyone else would lol, but they have a fear-in-common that the same will happen to them (this also comes up when someone is TOTALLY unprepared during a Socratizing).

But yeah, you can probably just take out the pen and blue book and go to work. Hell, if you school is real merciful, they might even give you some bonus time to make up for the lost work.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Judge Haller

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 05:59:48 PM »
A person in the other Contracts section had her laptop freeze up during the midterm...she lost 20 minutes out of a 2 hour test.
Which is precisely the reason why I used bluebooks for my finals last December.

If your school requires electronic submission, I can't imagine a freeze-up hasn't taken place before and that alternate arrangements were made. Ask them what their policy is before exams.
WVU Class of 2011

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 06:04:12 PM »
FSU runs a little command post of IT people in the hallway between the class rooms during finals for just such issues (and anything else weird that might come up).

I really don't get how people use a bluebook for finals. I end up jumping around and copy pasting so much stuff, I can't even begin to conceive using pen and paper. Not to mention I type a lot faster than I write, and time is a sparse commodity during finals.

one4theteam

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 06:19:29 PM »
Are you sure the school requires electronic exams?  Everyone that I have talked to says you have the option of electronic or Bluebook exams.  At my school, if your laptop dies (and invariably one does) you may complete the rest of the test in 1) Bluebook OR 2) use another laptop if you want to take the time to set it up.  I'm not sure how option two would work, because you are only allowed to have one computer on and running at the same time.  I guess if you wanted to have a spare that's great, but you can only logon to the exam software one laptop at a time and the process is relatively time consuming.

Actually, before "freezing" or not spotting any issues on an exam my worst fear by far is the my comp dying on me.  What can you do though.  You'll find once you're in an actual exam, much like the LSAT, you kick into autopilot and the whole two or three hours seems so surreal.  Once you see the ridiculous fact patterns with all the issues to tinker with you are not going to want to waste a second fiddling with technalities.

Just hope it doesn't happen your first semester finals, if ever.  After 1L first semester, everything just doesn't seem so end of the world.

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 06:31:24 PM »
If your exam-taking software is any good (provided by the school), it auto-saves constantly, so the IT department might be able to recover your lost work after the exam (or during the exam, depending on policies of your school).

My school gives the option: 1) finish the exam by hand, 2) run up to IT and see what they can do.

dischord

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 06:44:58 PM »
This happened to me this year (during my first ever law school exam, go f-ing figure).  They gave me a bluebook while the IT people messed with my laptop.  They recovered my exam within 5 minutes, and I typed in the whole sentence and a half that I'd written in the bluebook during that time.  It really wasn't a big deal.  I was actually really shocked by how little anxiety it provoked. 

I suppose that if your laptop stops working and they can't get it to start again, that you just finish up in the bluebook.
At least I can f-ing think.

nerfco

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 06:53:41 PM »
Not to ask silly questions, but what is a bluebook?

(To answer the OP, it varies by school. Here, there are IT people, and you get extra time if your work is lost due to crash, etc. We also don't use exam software, and you have to submit electronically.)

bl825

• Sr. Citizen
  • There are just so many reasons to smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 07:15:53 PM »

(To answer the OP, it varies by school. Here, there are IT people, and you get extra time if your work is lost due to crash, etc. We also don't use exam software, and you have to submit electronically.)

Aren't those the blue notebooks that people used to use for exams?
Oh yea...you're delicious and lean, but unsustainable and not to be consumed daily.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 07:17:04 PM »

Bluebooks are booklets of notebook paper with a blue cover (with space for name, date, subject, etc, and the school logo usually) that almost everywhere seems to make you use during UG at some point for taking tests. I thought they existed everywhere. :)