Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What the heck?  (Read 1024 times)

MidgetFoot

• View Profile
    • Email
What the heck?
« on: March 09, 2009, 10:58:19 AM »
I have a 177 LSAT and a 2.08 undergrad GPA. I was notified by email that I was accepted at Northwestern, but I was rejected a couple weeks ago by John Marshall. How does that even happen, since John Marshall is a TTTT while Northwestern is T14?

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: What the heck?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 02:14:30 PM »
With a GPA that low, all bets are off. 177 and a 3, most places will stomach that. 177 and a 2, you'll find plenty of places that will eat that 2 for the 177, but plenty that think that's just too risky of a proposition.

I don't feel like doing the math right now, but I think at most places, your index number would probably be below someone with a 165 and a 3.5.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 05:42:42 PM »
While I don't really believe that "yield protection" exists generally, you may be its rare victim.  JM knows you will get into better schools and go and doesn't want to waste a spot on you or doesn't want to spend the scholarship money to get you there. I had a higher GPA (high 2s) and a lower LSAT (low 170s) and I got rejected at CUNY.  These things happen.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 07:52:13 PM »
While I don't really believe that "yield protection" exists generally, you may be its rare victim.  JM knows you will get into better schools and go and doesn't want to waste a spot on you or doesn't want to spend the scholarship money to get you there. I had a higher GPA (high 2s) and a lower LSAT (low 170s) and I got rejected at CUNY.  These things happen.

Also very likely. See the cases of people that need to write "Why Cooley" letters if they have really high LSATs and GPAs.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 12:24:30 AM »
I have a 177 LSAT and a 2.08 undergrad GPA. I was notified by email that I was accepted at Northwestern, but I was rejected a couple weeks ago by John Marshall. How does that even happen, since John Marshall is a TTTT while Northwestern is T14?

I have a good friend at NU with similar stats.  They love high LSATs.