Law School Discussion

167 = Terrible Score

Re: 167 = Terrible Score
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 02:29:57 PM »
I would murder for your score.  Then I would go to a T14 and represent myself in my murder trial.

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2009, 02:31:10 PM »
I got a 167 and got into every school I applied to with scholarships. Of course, I only applied to 3 schools, I had a 3.96 LSAC UGPA, and I have an M.A. plus 2 years work experience.

Still, I think that if you apply to the right schools, a 167 is a very good score.

If I hadn't known that the score would get me into the only school I really wanted to go to (Texas), I would have tried to bring it up. I probably still should have as it could have given me better scholarships.

The point is, apply to safety schools. I was 90% certain I would get into Texas, but I still applied to two lower ranked schools, just in case.

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2009, 02:40:54 PM »
I just think it's funny that so many of the schools claim they take a "holistic" approach to the applications when it really just gets boiled down to numbers.

Well maybe the take-away is that you need to be more skeptical of what people say.  Law school admissions is primarily a numbers game, no matter what the schools claim.

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2009, 02:45:05 PM »
Funny how people complaining that schools are obsessed with numbers are only talking about those schools that rank well on US News. Why not take a holistic approach to the application process?

'blueskies

• your changing skyline is twisting me up inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2009, 02:45:45 PM »
Well, mainly I applied to the top 15...which I guess was stupid. But I did do research before I applied--I assumed that my work experience and undegrad degree would help more than they have (especially at the schools for which 167 was within the 25-75 "range"). I graduated from UPenn and have worked as a speechwriter for a U.S. Senator for the past two years.

I just think it's funny that so many of the schools claim they take a "holistic" approach to the applications when it really just gets boiled down to numbers.

I'm pretty sure SA Goon's response is the most accurate so far.

Yes, it's pretty much numbers.  Also, most other applicants have similar or better softs.  Graduating from UPenn and working for a U.S. Senator isn't very unique among top law school applicants.

Ninja1

• ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2009, 03:55:05 PM »
So why didn't you apply to a bunch of schools like Alabama, American, Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Oregon, Tulane, Washington, and Wisconsin? You'd have surely got in at all of those and similar schools, and at least a few of them would have thrown stacks of cash at you.

bl825

• There are just so many reasons to smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2009, 03:58:32 PM »
So why didn't you apply to a bunch of schools like Alabama, American, Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Oregon, Tulane, Washington, and Wisconsin? You'd have surely got in at all of those and similar schools, and at least a few of them would have thrown stacks of cash at you.

I believe he said it was because he assumed that his work experience and undergrad would help him more than they did.  :)

Ninja1

• ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2009, 04:00:01 PM »

I believe he said it was because he assumed that his work experience and undergrad would help him more than they did.  :)

True, but I feel like you'd at least kind of look outside of the absolute best schools on Earth.

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2009, 04:49:22 PM »
All good points. I'm probably going to just go to send in my app to "Thunder from Down Under" in Vegas and call it a year.

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2009, 04:50:38 PM »
All good points. I'm probably going to just go to send in my app to "Thunder from Down Under" in Vegas and call it a year.

I assume you really enjoy rejection.