Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: worth splitting my 1L summer?  (Read 775 times)

asiangirl

• View Profile
    • Email
worth splitting my 1L summer?
« on: March 06, 2009, 09:07:31 PM »
I know they say that 1L summer job does not really matter. but I think it matters a little bit, for students like me who do not have excellent grades.

I just got a summer internship offer from a very nice litigation boutique firm in L.A. (pays 900/ week) Yesterday I got an offer from a circuit court judge in New York.

Is it worth splitting my summer, working for, say, 8 weeks at the chamber, and 5 weeks in LA?

The firm position willnot automatically lead to a full-time position like SA at large firms, but I do think it will help me build up connections (I have no ties at all with either NY or LA, as I am international). And it's a reputable firm.

lyre

• brightly burns
    • View Profile
Re: worth splitting my 1L summer?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 11:17:26 PM »
I'd only go to the judge if he pays.  If not, I'd stay at the litigation firm all summer (unless they won't let you, in which case I'd go to the judge for that extra time).  I wouldn't leave a paying job for a non-paying one. lol

just Trev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 12:36:24 AM »
OP, any idea what you want to do next summer, or after you graduate? 

asiangirl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 02:26:07 AM »
I wish to have as many options as possible.
I wish to have the option to do biglaw, but this is because mid-law or boutique law firms is not a possibility! -- who doesn't want a nice mid-law/ boutique law firm with good pay (100000+) and decent work hours???

asiangirl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 02:27:10 AM »
and yes, I do wish to work in the U.S.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 07:46:56 AM »
I wish to have as many options as possible.
I wish to have the option to do biglaw, but this is because mid-law or boutique law firms is not a possibility! -- who doesn't want a nice mid-law/ boutique law firm with good pay (100000+) and decent work hours???

Without top grades, you will most likely not get BIGLAW next summer.  Hiring will probably remain extremely tight for a couple of years.  Firms overhired before and right through the beginning of the downturn, and will probably be gun-shy for a while.

That all being said, I'd probably go work where ever it is that you hope to end up. CA and NY are worlds away.  If you'd rather end up in CA, stay at the firm, meet as many attorneys as possible both in your firm and in the general legal community through local bar events, etc.  If you'd rather be in NY, spend as much of your summer there as possible.

asiangirl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 08:01:02 AM »
thankas  :D
I am actually gunning for this semester, which carries more weight than last (and I was on some sort of medication over the exam -- sick due to new england weather) I do think I will end up getting a decent gpa. but in this economy .... well.

I actually wish to work in a firm like that in the long run (too bad it won't automatically lead to a long term job) you know, it does not pay summer interns that much, but it pays its full/ time attorneys like 115000 ... and the work hours is like 40 hours per week.