Law School Discussion

1Ls: Are You Happy You Went to LS?

Re: 1Ls: Are You Happy You Went to LS?
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2009, 11:06:19 AM »
Lower Tier 1 in a major market. 

To clarify, I didn't go in hoping to be happy and slowly become miserable; I went in knowing I could never be satisfied unless and until I transferred.  I've approached the social side of things with that attitude, and although I've made friends, I've intentionally kept some distance. 

People here are very nice, the city is great, and no major issues with the school (aside from the obvious deficiencies after graduation).  I just wish I was at a better school.       

This proves that the question "1Ls: Are You Happy You Went to LS?" is virtually pointless.  Your 1L year will pass very quickly, your law school days will passed very quickly.  What OP needs to ask is whether the new graduates are happy or not. Specifically, 2007 and 2008 grads. 

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2009, 11:27:22 AM »
This proves that the question "1Ls: Are You Happy You Went to LS?" is virtually pointless.  Your 1L year will pass very quickly, your law school days will passed very quickly.  What OP needs to ask is whether the new graduates are happy or not. Specifically, 2007 and 2008 grads. 
That's a fair point, and that's why I stated that I'm satisfied "for now!" 

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2009, 11:30:27 AM »
Very risky.  I think the transfer will work out though.  Hopefully. 

I asked because you *might* go to my school. 

I wish you the best of luck with transferring!

Dongo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2009, 01:10:07 PM »
There's still some value to the OP's question.  The answer would still be relative and largely subjective even if the responses come from recent law school graduates.  Most people that chose to go to law school, especially the self-selective group of students on message boards like these that have done the proper research and know what they're getting into, will be happy with their decision to go (just like I am). 

There's also value in getting responses like, "it was a very bad decisions and I realized it's not for me."  Unlikely that a poster here, especially in the super-exclusive MAS group, actually feels that way though. 

Very risky.  I think the transfer will work out though.  Hopefully. 

I asked because you *might* go to my school. 

I wish you the best of luck with transferring!
Nope, nope. Different schools.

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2009, 01:26:05 PM »
I agree.  There is value in those responses, and that's why I started this thread.

I couldn't imagine doing anything else with my life.  I am 100% fixated on the law.  I still feel that wonderful sense of expectation and frustration and elation when I think about the future, like someone at the giddy beginning of a relationship.  Some nights, I work out comparative negligence "rule doesn't matter" Coase nonsense in my head in Torts preparation.  Other nights, I read Blackmun's biography until I fall asleep.

My classmates actually complain that I talk about law school too much.  I don't get it.  If anything, we don't talk about it enough.

"It eluded us then, but that's no matter--tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther . . . And one fine morning--"
-- F. Scott Fitzgerald

just dot

• I just want to be wonderful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2009, 02:33:10 PM »
I love it.  I am perfectly happy and I could NOT imagine doing anything else.  I find LS interesting and challenging and my fellow students are bright, interesting people.

Based on my very un-scientific personal observations, the people who seem to be happiest are the ones that did a lot of research about law school and knew what was coming.  In other words, the ones who really want to be lawyers and are following their own dreams.  The ones who were pressured into law school, either because they have useless undergrad degrees or have a pushy lawyer-parent, are not as happy.  I know of a few debating about whether they will return next year. 

They would have to drag me out of law school kicking and screaming.  Although, I must admit I am NOT as gung-ho as Wally.  I do like to talk about other things from time to time.  ;)

M_Cool

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2009, 02:38:03 PM »
Whenever someone asks me how I like to law school, I can't help but respond with an "it's alright..."  

I think at the base I'm more of a macro thinker, and a good portion of law school has been a lot of nuts & bolts that frankly, in many cases, I find uninteresting.  To be fair, there are also a good amount of opinions that I have found fascinating purely because they relate the nuts & bolts to the grand scheme of things.

In any case, it is impossible to be intelligible without having a firm grasp of the nuts & bolts (e.g. reporters).  

So it is kind of bitter sweet for me.  On the one hand, I know that what I'm doing is useful, but on the other hand I look forward to days where I will not have to focus so much on the small picture.  

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2009, 03:03:07 PM »
I agree.  There is value in those responses, and that's why I started this thread.

I couldn't imagine doing anything else with my life.  I am 100% fixated on the law.  I still feel that wonderful sense of expectation and frustration and elation when I think about the future, like someone at the giddy beginning of a relationship.  Some nights, I work out comparative negligence "rule doesn't matter" Coase nonsense in my head in Torts preparation.  Other nights, I read Blackmun's biography until I fall asleep.

My classmates actually complain that I talk about law school too much.  I don't get it.  If anything, we don't talk about it enough.

"It eluded us then, but that's no matter--tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther . . . And one fine morning--"
-- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Really?  You're enamored with the law?  I never would have thought so.   :D

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2009, 03:16:15 PM »
I love it.  I am perfectly happy and I could NOT imagine doing anything else.  I find LS interesting and challenging and my fellow students are bright, interesting people.

Agreed.

Based on my very un-scientific personal observations, the people who seem to be happiest are the ones that did a lot of research about law school and knew what was coming.  In other words, the ones who really want to be lawyers and are following their own dreams.  The ones who were pressured into law school, either because they have useless undergrad degrees or have a pushy lawyer-parent, are not as happy.  I know of a few debating about whether they will return next year. 

This is VERY credited.  I've noticed the same thing. 

They would have to drag me out of law school kicking and screaming.  Although, I must admit I am NOT as gung-ho as Wally.  I do like to talk about other things from time to time.  ;)

Wait, you're not Wally!?!?  My world is shattered!

(Wally, I'm just joking with you.) 

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2009, 03:18:03 PM »

I don't necessarily disagree with you here.  It scares me that some people don't ever want to talk about the law--what are they going to do when they're doing this for their career?  (Some of them will enjoy it still, when they find a job that matches their specific interests.  However, many of them will be unsatisfied--and that's a shame.)