Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: T10 transfer, taking questions...  (Read 4719 times)

jeff112

• View Profile
Re: T10 transfer, taking questions...
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2009, 07:17:01 PM »
Since you seem to just be killing it, I was hoping you'd share your study habits/routine and any tips/advice you have for others trying to do well.

I dunno.  Like I said, I did really well at my old school...and I was lucky enough to do very well again last term, but I'm not convinced that will continue.  I'm working hard and hoping for the best, but I assuredly don't think that I'm a genius when it comes to the law (or anything, for that matter).

The things that I've done that have worked for me:  I always do my own outline.  It helps me see how the class fits together in the end.  I never use supplements unless it's for their sample questions, and then I only use them to practice.  The one class I did crappy in was the one that I relied heavily on a supplement.  I talk in class IF I have a question regarding something I don't understand, which will occasionally get me labeled a gunner.  That said, I never really ask questions to make some kind of intelligent observation -- if a Prof. tells me I made a good comment, it was usually by accident b/c there was something I didn't get.  I do talk to the Profs in office hours, but again, it's only when I don't get something.

I also came to law school after working for three years...and came because I really wanted to learn the law (that sounds terribly lame).  I didn't come to get a high paying job or for the glory/prestige/whatever (not to say that's a bad thing).  Even with a genuine interest, I'm growing burnt out with the constant studying.  Nevertheless, there are areas of the law that, even after being bombarded with material, I still enjoy.

Oh, and I never think I really get it.  When I feel like I do, I tell myself I don't so I work that much harder.  Again, the only class where I felt like I really "got it" was the one that I got my worst grade in.

With respect to study habits, I do the reading, even if I feel like it's stupid reading and I won't need it.  I will reread occasionally if I feel like I just don't get it.  I start outlining halfway into the term if it's a four credit hour class, but I only do a chunk of it then so I won't have a ton of crap to do at the end.

Overall, though, this is what I've done.  Your mileage may vary.

jeff112

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2009, 03:16:49 PM »
Taking more questions, if there are any out there -- I need to procrastinate.  I don't feel like working on this paper.

bryan9584

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2009, 03:24:24 PM »
Jeff, just wondering what was the financial impact on your decision to transfer? Lose a scholarship? How much more in loans? Higher cost of living? And how do you think its going to impact your ability to get a higher paying job/repay your loan?

Dongo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2009, 03:42:15 PM »
Jeff,

At your original, T100 school, did you go out for Moot Court or Mock Trial or attempt a journal write on?  If so, and if you made it on to any of those, how did you decline or back out when you decided to transfer?  Were they upset? 

Would you recommend signing a "letter of intent" for the Mock Trial team if we made it?  From what I've gathered, it's more like a head nod or a gentleman's agreement, but not binding or anything.  It looks good on the resume for transferring though, which is why one might try out and join the team.  Plus, there's no guarantee transferring will work out, so it's always good to have just in case.

Thanks!

iahurricane

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2009, 03:09:49 PM »
What month did you starting sending out transfer applications? How long did it typically take for a school to give you a response?

upgrade

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2009, 05:31:25 PM »
What month did you starting sending out transfer applications? How long did it typically take for a school to give you a response?
Most schools respond in the first couple weeks of July and require second semester grades before making a decision.

jeff112

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2009, 08:24:52 PM »

All of my applications, absent second semester grades and accompanying class ranking, were out there by April or so (except WUSTL and GT for EA).  My second semester grades and ranking took longer than I preferred, but weren't too bad -- I think I had them all in by June 1st or so (but I had to have one sent by express to make it in time).

One rejection (the shocker -- I had a LOR from an alum, it was peer-ish/lower to the school I ended up with, I really wanted to be there location wise, etc.) and multiple acceptances came quickly -- I remember I got three or so within a week.  The T10 I ended up at came after a week and a half, after which I withdrew from a few lower ranked or tied schools that I wouldn't go to over that one (some I'd heard from, some I hadn't) 

The only remaining holdout was Harvard, which took forever.  I knew from msg. boards that I'd ducked the first round of rejections despite my application being in among the firsts, which had me in the unfortunate position of waiting around (I'd resolved that if I got into H, I'd go).  I got the Harvard ding like four days before I had to pack, conveniently after someone announced on a board that they'd accepted there.  Still sore over that one, but I have no room to complain -- everything has worked out well so far.

ln330

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2009, 07:36:30 PM »
Hey, I just started at a T90 Law School and would really like to be able to transfer to a higher ranked school. Any tips/advice on what I should be doing starting out, from Day 1 of Law School?