Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LSAT/GPA/Transfer scenario  (Read 588 times)

nickturner922

• View Profile
LSAT/GPA/Transfer scenario
« on: March 05, 2009, 09:13:14 PM »
So I've just recently got the law bug (I'm 28 - better late than never!). Here is a scenario for you:

My undergrad GPA from Virginia Tech was 2.92 in Business Information Technology (5 yrs ago - 2003 grad). My LSAT is 174. If it matters, I owned my own company for the last 5 years and was quite successful but had to leave because my partner and I didn't see eye to eye in how to handle the current economic conditions. Plus, on to better things!

I'm not sure what my chances are to getting into a top school, so I was thinking of knocking their socks off by going to a lesser school for my first year and acing everything (lots of assumptions here...)

My question is, how much lesser of a school could I go to? There is one in my area, but it is a Tier 4. I really didn't want to dip that low, but I'll do what I have to. It's still an ABA school - Regent University. Then, I'd like to go to another school. My list so far is William and Mary, UVA, Fordham, NYU.

Comments? Ideas? Thanks!

Speedzie

• Sr. Citizen
  • Illinois College of Law - 11
    • View Profile
Re: LSAT/GPA/Transfer scenario
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 10:26:52 PM »
I'll pretend this isn't a flame.

The short of it:  Apply across the T1s (no lower than #50), see where you get in.  T3/t4 is out of the question.  Don't even think about it.

Go here:  http://officialguide.lsac.org/SearchResults/ShowAllSchools.aspx   Open the links to various schools; some will show a chart with score ranges at the bottom of the pdf.  Example here: http://officialguide.lsac.org/SearchResults/SchoolPage_PDFs/LSAC_LawSchoolDescription/LSAC5115.pdf

You can also click on "ugpa/lsat filter," at the top right of the first page i linked, and it'll compute your odds at schools.

I'm now assuming this is a flame - and never responding again.

ntiger

• KC Newbie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 11:18:38 AM »
IMO, people who attend a lower ranked school then transfer up all have one thing in common - their lsat was not great.  Transfer students are evaluated heavily on performance and class rank, not lsat.  With your LSAT and non-traditional status, you should be able to get some nods from the schools you are interested in.  Your GPA is kind of low, but you went to a good undergrad and it was a long time ago so it won't kill you.

In conclusion, set your net wide and see what happens.  Don't settle for a school if you know for a fact you are transferring out.  Why enjoy one less year of networking opportunities with alumni and the legal community?  And why risk NOT being at the top of your class and feeling 'stuck'?

Scribner

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 02:30:35 PM »
OP, do not count on transferring.

Since you must be a native Virginian (who else would suffer the indignity of getting a degree from VPISU!), try for W&M. If you do well, you can transfer to UVa (you will get preference as an in-state student). If not, you will minimize your debt and and get a decent degree. I know W&M used to be tough on sub 3 GPAs, but I think they have reversed that course.

Good luck to you.