Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UF UNDERGRAD ASKING - Who should I live with during my 1L year?  (Read 1451 times)

jhandin

• View Profile
    • Email
Although I haven't narrowed down where I'm going next year, I'm looking at apartments in the cities that I'll most likely end up in.

As of right now, it's looking like Los Angeles, Long Island, or staying in Gainesville.  I probably would move in with fraternity brothers in a small house near the law school if I stay in Gainesville.

But what's your general suggestions?...Should I live alone?  Should I live with a few other 1L's from the same school?  Or should I just live with random people?

I've gotten so accustomed to undergrad and living with no one but fraternity brothers, so it's a little bit of a culture shock for me.

Thanks!
Deciding Between/Waiting On: Hofstra, Southwestern, Arizona, FSU, UC Irvine
c/o 2012

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: UF UNDERGRAD ASKING - Who should I live with during my 1L year?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 01:18:12 AM »
This is what I think the ideal 1L living situation is:  rent a house with 3 or more 1L classmates -- preferably in the same "section" if you are broken up into sections -- that is close to campus.  This arrangement has several benefits.  One, you will have some 1L's to talk to about school.  Two, you will all hopefully have friends so this way you will meet three times as many people.  Three, if you live in a house close to campus you can host parties and events which will make you more popular.
_______
.|E|R|S.

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 04:51:18 AM »
Live alone if you can, otherwise, live with a really dedicated student whose habits are very similar to yours...frat types will ruin your law school experience, unless you can just swing it like that.

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 09:39:26 AM »
It's largely a matter of personal preference.  No one is going to be able to tell you what you'll enjoy or need. 

I know many at UF who live with fellow classmates, whereas others live alone or with non-law students.  Some enjoy coming home and NOT having to talk about law.  Others enjoy being able to vent and talk about the experience.

If you go to UF, I wouldn't worry as much about making friends with your roommates, although that's obviously awesome if you do so.  UF is very friendly, and you'll make friends there if you have any personality whatsoever.  It's not very cutthroat here.

Living near the school at UF is a good idea.  Traffic can be very rough in certain areas of the city, and many people (myself included) feel as if we miss out on things due to our distance from campus. 

I hope this helps a little.   

just dot

• Sr. Citizen
  • I just want to be wonderful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 08:57:13 AM »
I live way off campus, so these are just my observations.

Living with other 1L's:
The Good:  You can carpool.  Parking can be a problem, so a carpool pass really helps.  Also, instant study group!
The Bad:  You already spend a LOT of time with these people, so if they are in your section there is the possibility that you might get sick of their faces.
Still, I know a few groups of 1L guys who live together and it seems to work very well. 

Living alone:
The Good:  You have a lot of study time and your own space.  You can get away from law school completely if you need to.
The Bad:  A little lonely, maybe.  No carpooling for you!
Depends on your personality.

Living with your frat brothers:
Just...no.  You need to move on from undergrad.  Meet new people.  Also, there is the danger that you're going to get sucked into excessive partying and/or not make new friends at law school.  Move on.

If I were in your position, I would live with other 1L's in an apartment where you each have your own space (own rooms and bathrooms).  Before last semester a lot of law students found their roommates on the UF law facebook group.  I haven't heard of any major problems with 1L's living together.

Good luck!  I hope you stay at UF Law.
To put it bluntly, I seem to have a whole superstructure with no foundation. But I`m working on the foundation.

no634

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • No 634
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 02:41:16 PM »
I live way off campus, so these are just my observations.

Living with other 1L's:
The Good:  You can carpool.  Parking can be a problem, so a carpool pass really helps.  Also, instant study group!
The Bad:  You already spend a LOT of time with these people, so if they are in your section there is the possibility that you might get sick of their faces.
Still, I know a few groups of 1L guys who live together and it seems to work very well. 

Living alone:
The Good:  You have a lot of study time and your own space.  You can get away from law school completely if you need to.
The Bad:  A little lonely, maybe.  No carpooling for you!
Depends on your personality.

Living with your frat brothers:
Just...no.  You need to move on from undergrad.  Meet new people.  Also, there is the danger that you're going to get sucked into excessive partying and/or not make new friends at law school.  Move on.

If I were in your position, I would live with other 1L's in an apartment where you each have your own space (own rooms and bathrooms).  Before last semester a lot of law students found their roommates on the UF law facebook group.  I haven't heard of any major problems with 1L's living together.

Good luck!  I hope you stay at UF Law.

I live in a law school fraternity and I think it's a great living situation. There's nothing forcing you to hang out with your housemates, so when things get busy or annoying, a quick trip to the library or a coffee shop will cure the communal living problems.

It's nice having people who are going through the same thing. Just make sure that if you live with random roommates that you do at least some screening (allergies, OCD, etc.)