Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LSDAS GPA v. University GPA Addendum  (Read 3062 times)

McRushmore

• View Profile
LSDAS GPA v. University GPA Addendum
« on: March 04, 2009, 06:33:16 PM »
My LSDAS GPA is about .3 lower than my actual GPA as a result of two 'No Passes' (I was under the impression that a NP wouldn't come back to haunt me or have an impact on my GPA). This difference puts me outside of the GPA 25th percentile range for several of the schools I'm considering. I have fairly good explanations for why I didn't pass these classes and I plan to write an addendum. My LSAT is pretty solid.

Question: How much weight is given to a well drafted addendum? If my GPA was 3.6 but LSAC says it's 3.3 will an addendum be enough to convince them to disregard LSAC's calculation in favor of the University's?

Any thoughts would be great. Thanks.

officeguy

• ? ? ?
    • View Profile
Re: LSDAS GPA v. University GPA Addendum
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 11:24:11 AM »
Law schools only care about your LSDAS GPA and that's what they'll use when making a decision. With that said, you should only write an addendum if you have very VALID reason for those "NP"'s.
"I want an anti-gravity machine. I saw it in a movie. You drink the potion, and then you just start floating all around"

LawSchoolAuthority

• View Profile
    • Law School Authority
    • Email
Re: LSDAS GPA v. University GPA Addendum
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 12:10:27 PM »
Generally speaking, your LSDAS GPA is the number that law schools will be looking at when considering your numbers.  But, like any other aspect of your application, if you have a weak/troublesome area that you feel should be brought to the admissions committee's attention, you may wish to submit an addendum. 

A well drafted addendum may help an admissions committee understand a certain aspect of your application; however, like the poster above mentioned, you will need to have some sort of mitigating circumstances for the committee to hang their hat on.  No matter how well you draft your addendum, if you do not have reason why you received your "NPs," it is not likely that the committee will disregard the LSDAS GPA in favor of yours.  If you do indeed "have fairly good explanations for why [you] didn't pass [those] classes," then it may be worth it to write a letter. 

But again, an addendum typically helps an admissions committee understand a certain part of your application.  Even a valid reason for the shortcoming is no guarantee that the committee will disregard the problem area.