Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What kind of notebook should I buy?  (Read 6164 times)

Sean104

• View Profile
Re: What kind of notebook should I buy?
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2009, 02:40:11 AM »
Anyone have any experience with 10.1" netbooks?  I'm considering Samsung, Asus, or MSI.  I recently checked one out and am concern about the screen size, specifically, toggling multiple screens.  Any thoughts from those who own a netbook in this size?  Has it worked for you?  The 12.1" look a bit more manageable.

SwampFox

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2009, 01:08:47 PM »
Anyone have any experience with 10.1" netbooks?  I'm considering Samsung, Asus, or MSI.  I recently checked one out and am concern about the screen size, specifically, toggling multiple screens.  Any thoughts from those who own a netbook in this size?  Has it worked for you?  The 12.1" look a bit more manageable.
The screen size isn't the only drawback I see.  Can you actually type on those things?  I tried a couple out in the store, and the keyboard was way too small for my liking.

sheltron5000

• Sr. Citizen
  • All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2009, 01:52:02 PM »

I have a 9", and honestly, the screen resolution, which is what really counts, is the same as a 10" (and some/most 12") I like my dell mini :) The biggest problem is height, not width. a farily standard resolution is 1024x600, 1024 is about the internet standard width, but it does take a lot of vertical scrolling. I figure that if i need to see everything at once I'd do it on a desktop anyway.

I really like my netbook. The biggest thing about it for me is that it's light/cheap enough I won't actually hate to take it places. I've had notebooks in the past, and really anything over four pounds I just hate to take with me anywhere, and I could have gotten more computer for less cash if I'd just bought a desktop. My netbook goes just about everwhere with me, and it never feels like a burdon. It weighs about as much as a thick hardback novel.

The keyboard is the biggest drawback. It does take getting used to, but if you just focus on typing instead of the keyboard you can get used to it. If I spend a LOT of time typing it can get a little rough on my wrists just because they are so close together and angled a little oddly, but I think the trade offs are worth it.

Just make sure you get one you can upgrade the ram in. Mine came with 512mb, I upgraded to 2gb, and I can tell you the difference is MASSIVE, especially for the price.
LSN

I'd love to join this LGBT club.  It's the Legos, Gobots, Barbies, and other Toys group, right?  I'll show up with an armful of toys.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2009, 08:58:13 PM »
a farily standard resolution is 1024x600

That's crazy low resolution for paper writing IMO- one of the biggest issues with netbooks.

Personally, I get annoyed if I have to work on less than 1600x1050 writing papers. Scrolling through all those footnotes would be awful.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2009, 12:19:01 AM »

I just bought an 8.9" netbook (the Acer Aspire One) and I adore it, although I probably wouldn't be comfortable with it as my only computer.  It's great for taking notes in class, though, and I actually did my property outline mainly on the netbook.  You get used to the screen size and keyboard size very quickly, although I do recommend an external mouse.
* Columbia Law, Class of 2011 *

LSN

Sean104

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2009, 01:13:28 PM »

I just bought an 8.9" netbook (the Acer Aspire One) and I adore it, although I probably wouldn't be comfortable with it as my only computer.  It's great for taking notes in class, though, and I actually did my property outline mainly on the netbook.  You get used to the screen size and keyboard size very quickly, although I do recommend an external mouse.

I think I'll go with the 10.1", though I would prefer something in the vicinity of 12" or 13" with cost being the only trade-off.  I've heard that they are great for a law students' needs such as note-taking and outlining as you mentioned.  Plus you can't beat the portability and long battery life.  This would act as a secondary comp, with my desktop as my primary. 

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2009, 01:47:59 PM »

I think I'll go with the 10.1", though I would prefer something in the vicinity of 12" or 13" with cost being the only trade-off.  I've heard that they are great for a law students' needs such as note-taking and outlining as you mentioned.  Plus you can't beat the portability and long battery life.  This would act as a secondary comp, with my desktop as my primary. 

I thought about the 10.1, but there's not a noticeable difference in screen size (IMO), and I figured I wanted something as different as possible from my laptop, which meant maximum portability/minimum size and max battery life.

Either way, they're great!

LSN

sheltron5000

• Sr. Citizen
  • All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2009, 03:12:41 PM »
I honestly think the netbook/desktop combo is the best way to go.
LSN

I'd love to join this LGBT club.  It's the Legos, Gobots, Barbies, and other Toys group, right?  I'll show up with an armful of toys.

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2009, 08:05:29 PM »
I honestly think the netbook/desktop combo is the best way to go.

I can see that...for my own purposes, a desktop is useless, but if you need or want one, a netbook is fantastic to go along with it.

LSN