Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What kind of notebook should I buy?  (Read 6176 times)

tcwhat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What kind of notebook should I buy?
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 10:45:51 AM »
For the love of god, do not buy a mac - you're spending double for the same hardware.  Not to mention they're uncool.  Unless of course you're a girl, and can't be reasoned with.

As for acers, they are inexpensive, but eh.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/landing_pages/sales/ecoupon  - an R should do for the long haul.

and notebookforums sucks - http://forum.notebookreview.com is where it's at  ;)

Please tell me where I can find a laptop with similar specifications as a Macbook and Macbrook pro for half the price of one. 

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2009, 11:22:05 AM »
Some people hate them, but I really like Dells.

I have had tons of them, in fact I can see 3 Dell laptops from where I am sitting in my office. That being said I can fix most stuff without having to call India and I tend to get a new one every 16 months or so (all though all of my old ones still work and serve some function, media server, DVR or something).

What I like about Dell is you can customize everything, I only go with the XPS line because it has all the cutting edge stuff available, I really like my XPS M1330 http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/xpsnb_m1330?c=us&cs=19&l=en&ref=lthp&s=dhs But thatís near the top of your price point, and itís the base configuration. I donít know if I would personally go with that model in that config, I built mine with max processor, max ram, a solid state drive and broadband wifi so it was over what you want to spend.

The base XPS M1530 is not a bad system, and has a larger screen if you donít plan to do an external monitor/keyboard set up. http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/xpsnb_m1530?c=us&cs=19&l=en&ref=lthp&s=dhs

I also have an XPS 17 incher, but thatís overkill, you donít want to lug that thing around school, trust me I did it for a semester it was HUGE.
Iím really liking the XPS M1330 with its 13 inch screen and light weight, but I have an external monitor, keyboard and mouse so I only use the onboard screen/keyboard in class. Battery life is excellent with the optional larger battery.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

SwampFox

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2009, 10:56:04 PM »
My tuppence, as someone who has worked in the computer industry 10+ years....
Dell's are, as a rule, made as cheaply as possibly.  That makes them as cheap as possible, but know that you get what you pay for.  I've had about a dozen Dell's, and they all worked fine for at least a year and a half...but no guarantees past that.  Also, I've had issues with a lot of the "specialized" hardware that is only available from Dell for their computers.
You can't go wrong with Lenovo.  I've had two laptops and they're both great.  Of course, Lenovo caters to business users, so there aren't as many entertainment options with that brand as with others.  I'm also fairly happy with the Compaq/HP's that I've had, though not as much as the Lenovo's.

no634

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • No 634
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2009, 02:45:46 PM »
Check if your new school offers a student discount plan.

Otherwise, go to best buy, get something cheap and drop $300 on a warranty. They will replace your laptop if anything happens.

southerncallaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2009, 12:22:29 PM »
Dell's start at $449 for one appropriate to school.  A loaded one will be like $700. 
I am buying a dell and they have good quality laptops for cheap. 
My last two comps were dell and they both still work, but are just kinda weak. 
Online ordering has free shipping..

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2009, 11:32:56 AM »
Never ask for advice about buying a computer on a forum this big. Eventually you will get one horror story about every brand of computer made.

Set a budget, go to a store with lots of different types and brands, and look at all of them. And consider all the possible options like a convertible tablet or maybe a desktop for home and a netbook.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2009, 11:40:27 AM »
Never ask for advice about buying a computer on a forum this big. Eventually you will get one horror story about every brand of computer made.

Set a budget, go to a store with lots of different types and brands, and look at all of them. And consider all the possible options like a convertible tablet or maybe a desktop for home and a netbook.

also consider a docking station that makes your laptop into a desktop!
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

Speedzie

• Sr. Citizen
  • Illinois College of Law - 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2009, 03:59:32 PM »
and a sweet backup drive!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822204079

and i definitely would not get a netbook.  Your laptop is going to be your whole life, everything revolves around it.  You'll want a sweet one.

I got a thinkpad t400 (14" screen), and regret not getting the t500 15".

Jay Jay

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2009, 04:00:18 AM »
Definitely check out academic discounts, prowl online for coupons.  Just google "dell coupons" or something.  I got my new XPS M1330 with 4 year complete warranty and the top of the line everything for $1400 because I found a 25% coupon online.  It was the same price offered by my school bookstore with the academic coupon except with better configuration. (Not to mention mine is a ProductRED, not the boring black on they carry.) 
In: UMich, UVA, G'town, UCLA, Duke
Out: Berkeley
Waitlist: Yale
No Response: UChicago, Stanford, Harvard, NYU, UPenn

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2009, 10:52:15 AM »
Definitely check out academic discounts, prowl online for coupons.  Just google "dell coupons" or something.  I got my new XPS M1330 with 4 year complete warranty and the top of the line everything for $1400 because I found a 25% coupon online.  It was the same price offered by my school bookstore with the academic coupon except with better configuration. (Not to mention mine is a ProductRED, not the boring black on they carry.) 

I have the same computer, did you get the SSD? I love it, BUT they have a flaw you need to be aware of, mainly video card meltdown. Check to make sure you have the lastest drivers/BIOS from the Dell page, the updates the drivers to run the fan more often to cool the video card to aviod the meltdown, so far it worked fine with the new settings.