Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What kind of notebook should I buy?  (Read 6415 times)

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
Re: What kind of notebook should I buy?
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2009, 11:08:38 AM »
Ok, Iíve had the Dell Adamo for about 10 days now. Not quite a netbook but at .63 inches thick its very portable.

Pros: light, small, reasonably powerful, good screen resolution, very fast with the SDD, 3G has great coverage and decent speeds, very portable, backlit keyboard is nice, great build quality,3 USBís and combo SATA,  and it looks freaking cool as hell.

Cons: outrageously expensive (I would not rebuy it unless I could get it for half what I paid). No DVD drive (meh Iím 50% on this, only really an issue with legacy software, but there is a CD rom of bar questions that I canít run w/o the external drive). Battery life is about 2.5 hours on max performance setting, could get more if I lowered that but I like the bright screen. 128 gig SSD is kind of small without having external drives for storage. Dsiplay port rather than HDMI out. Its running 64-bit windows which fís up legacy programs and accessing my network drive.

Overall itís a great looking ultra portable that costs way too much. It would not work well as a primary computer for law school, but serves its purpose for me being a completely portable second laptop that networks with my XPS 13 which has be regalted to desktop/docking station primary computer. Still, worth only half what I paid and more expensive that an Air book.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2009, 02:15:03 PM »
Ok, Iíve had the Dell Adamo for about 10 days now. Not quite a netbook but at .63 inches thick its very portable.

Pros: light, small, reasonably powerful, good screen resolution, very fast with the SDD, 3G has great coverage and decent speeds, very portable, backlit keyboard is nice, great build quality,3 USBís and combo SATA,  and it looks freaking cool as hell.

Cons: outrageously expensive (I would not rebuy it unless I could get it for half what I paid). No DVD drive (meh Iím 50% on this, only really an issue with legacy software, but there is a CD rom of bar questions that I canít run w/o the external drive). Battery life is about 2.5 hours on max performance setting, could get more if I lowered that but I like the bright screen. 128 gig SSD is kind of small without having external drives for storage. Dsiplay port rather than HDMI out. Its running 64-bit windows which fís up legacy programs and accessing my network drive.

Overall itís a great looking ultra portable that costs way too much. It would not work well as a primary computer for law school, but serves its purpose for me being a completely portable second laptop that networks with my XPS 13 which has be regalted to desktop/docking station primary computer. Still, worth only half what I paid and more expensive that an Air book.

I can't believe that for that cost, it's only a 1.4 or 1.6 GHz processor.  If APPLE is offering a better value for better features, something is very wrong.

Still, it is a beautiful-looking machine!  I can see the appeal.
* Columbia Law, Class of 2011 *

LSN

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2009, 03:20:13 PM »

I can't believe that for that cost, it's only a 1.4 or 1.6 GHz processor.  If APPLE is offering a better value for better features, something is very wrong.

Still, it is a beautiful-looking machine!  I can see the appeal.

Yea, I got the 1.6 and I really don't see any diffrnce between it and my 2.3 XPS 13. Maybe I'm not running enough stuff at once (I don't like cluttered desktops so I tend to close things when I'm not using them)) but I really have not noticed anything lacking power wises, which I expected I would see.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.