Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What kind of notebook should I buy?  (Read 6179 times)

BurtsBees

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What kind of notebook should I buy?
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2009, 02:16:57 PM »
Spiral?

nerfco

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2009, 03:19:37 PM »
Spiral?

I prefer the bound black & white sort. They remind me of Se7en.

Speedzie

• Sr. Citizen
  • Illinois College of Law - 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2009, 03:34:26 PM »
For the love of god, do not buy a mac - you're spending double for the same hardware.  Not to mention they're uncool.  Unless of course you're a girl, and can't be reasoned with.

As for acers, they are inexpensive, but eh.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/landing_pages/sales/ecoupon  - an R should do for the long haul.

and notebookforums sucks - http://forum.notebookreview.com is where it's at  ;)

Please tell me where I can find a laptop with similar specifications as a Macbook and Macbrook pro for half the price of one. 

Well, it looks like the apples have caught up, but when i got my thinkpad they didn't have montevina on the macbooks yet.  At the time (last september) i paid more than a $1000 less than a similarly configured macbook pro that had the previous generation bus/memory/processor.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2009, 03:47:34 PM »
Please tell me where I can find a laptop with similar specifications as a Macbook and Macbrook pro for half the price of one.   

Ok, I'll bite:

Macbook (13 inch): $1300

2.0GHz

* Intel Core 2 Duo
    * 2GB DDR3 Memory
    * 160GB hard drive1
    * NVIDIA GeForce 9400M (onboard) graphics
    * Standard keyboard
    * Aluminum unibody

Dell (13 inch inspiron):

http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/laptop-inspiron-13?c=us&cs=19&l=en&ref=lthp&s=dhs

Core 2 Duo (2ghz)
2Gb memory
320gig HDD
Onboard Graphics
$679

----------
Macbook pro (15 inch): $2000

15-inch: 2.4GHz
2 gig memory
250gig hard drive
Discrete graphics (9600M)

Dell(15 inch studio 15): $984

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=dndwra2&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&kc=productdetails~laptop_studio_15

2.4ghz processor
4gig memory (2x as much)
250 gig hard drive
Discrete graphics hd3450 (comparable to the apple)

That's not even looking for coupon codes and deals. That's another thing: you pretty much have to pay sticker for the mac. You can find deals on PCs. 

You're paying for better quality of life!  Using my mac makes me happy every day, and the components integrate especially well with other peripherals (I use an iPod touch as a PDA).  Outrageously easy to back up files and restore your computer in the event of a total hard drive meltdown.  Solid operating system (Vista, seriously?) and in the event that you absolutely need windows, you can still run it on part of your hard drive.

I like my PC quality of life :-) Windows 7 Beta FTW.

To the OP, WAIT until windows 7 is out to buy a PC (around August).
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

sheltron5000

• Sr. Citizen
  • All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2009, 04:03:38 PM »
and a sweet backup drive!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822204079

and i definitely would not get a netbook.  Your laptop is going to be your whole life, everything revolves around it.  You'll want a sweet one.

I got a thinkpad t400 (14" screen), and regret not getting the t500 15".

I disagree, I use a netbook (Dell Mini 9 FTW) for ALL of my computing and other than not having a DVD drive, not being able to play newer games, and sometimes stuttering when I have too many windows open it's all I need. PLUS, it weighs just 2.3 lbs, and cost less than $250 (don't pay full price, wait for a sale).

I had a macbook for a while, and it was a great computer, but it was still a hassle to carry around with me. I prefer the netbook, which takes up about the same space as hard cover book, and weighs less. And if it breaks or is stolen, I just get a new one.

When i get to school this fall I'll be using an SD card to carry all my notes and such between my mini and a desktop.

I like my mini but I think the HP netbooks have a better keyboard for most people.

JM2C
LSN

I'd love to join this LGBT club.  It's the Legos, Gobots, Barbies, and other Toys group, right?  I'll show up with an armful of toys.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2009, 04:09:57 PM »
 I just ordered a Dell Adamo http://www.dell.com/content/topics/topic.aspx/global/products/adamo/topics/en/us/adamo-pearl-desire?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs I have a feeling it would not be a great law school laptop, but I'm graduting so i don't care, plus I like bright shiny things
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

m1ss_uNdeRst00d

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2009, 04:34:30 PM »
Spiral?

I prefer the bound black & white sort. They remind me of Se7en.

Moleskin.
UB Law 2012

tcwhat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2009, 04:01:12 PM »

Ok, I'll bite:

Macbook (13 inch): $1300

2.0GHz

* Intel Core 2 Duo
    * 2GB DDR3 Memory
    * 160GB hard drive1
    * NVIDIA GeForce 9400M (onboard) graphics
    * Standard keyboard
    * Aluminum unibody

Dell (13 inch inspiron):

http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/laptop-inspiron-13?c=us&cs=19&l=en&ref=lthp&s=dhs

Core 2 Duo (2ghz)
2Gb memory
320gig HDD
Onboard Graphics
$679

----------
Macbook pro (15 inch): $2000

15-inch: 2.4GHz
2 gig memory
250gig hard drive
Discrete graphics (9600M)

Dell(15 inch studio 15): $984

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=dndwra2&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&kc=productdetails~laptop_studio_15

2.4ghz processor
4gig memory (2x as much)
250 gig hard drive
Discrete graphics hd3450 (comparable to the apple)

That's not even looking for coupon codes and deals. That's another thing: you pretty much have to pay sticker for the mac. You can find deals on PCs. 

You're paying for better quality of life!  Using my mac makes me happy every day, and the components integrate especially well with other peripherals (I use an iPod touch as a PDA).  Outrageously easy to back up files and restore your computer in the event of a total hard drive meltdown.  Solid operating system (Vista, seriously?) and in the event that you absolutely need windows, you can still run it on part of your hard drive.

I like my PC quality of life :-) Windows 7 Beta FTW.

To the OP, WAIT until windows 7 is out to buy a PC (around August).

I probably should have said identical in the key spec categories - Processor, Memory, and Video card, but alas that ship has sailed.

Nevertheless -

Between the Dell you listed, there appears to be a difference in processor and memory.  The Apples all use the Core 2 Duo 1066MHz FSB with 3 MB onboard cache, the dells listed use 800MHz FSB, 2MB.

The memory on the Apples is 1066MHz again versus 667MHz for the first listed Dell and 800 MHz for the second.

Other differences

The first Dell has onboard video made by Intel while the Apple has NVidia GeForce chipsets in all their laptops. 

The Nvidia chipset in the Powerbook is also contains dual video cards that you can switch around.

Plus Snow Leopard OS X, the next version, has been built specifically to work with multicore  processors.

Speedzie

• Sr. Citizen
  • Illinois College of Law - 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2009, 04:27:47 PM »

I probably should have said identical in the key spec categories - Processor, Memory, and Video card, but alas that ship has sailed.

Nevertheless -

Between the Dell you listed, there appears to be a difference in processor and memory.  The Apples all use the Core 2 Duo 1066MHz FSB with 3 MB onboard cache, the dells listed use 800MHz FSB, 2MB.

The memory on the Apples is 1066MHz again versus 667MHz for the first listed Dell and 800 MHz for the second.

Other differences

The first Dell has onboard video made by Intel while the Apple has NVidia GeForce chipsets in all their laptops. 

The Nvidia chipset in the Powerbook is also contains dual video cards that you can switch around.

Plus Snow Leopard OS X, the next version, has been built specifically to work with multicore  processors.

see my above post.  My T400 was superior in just about every material way, and was still a good $1000 less.  And that was with a 3yr accidental damage warrenty.