Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How to stay Motivated?  (Read 1150 times)

candylover

• View Profile
How to stay Motivated?
« on: March 04, 2009, 12:21:40 PM »
Well - I have been studying for the LSAT on and off since last fall and have been struggling to break past a 150 and still have not scored higher than that yet.

For me, having seen the consistent 145s to 148s took its toll on me mentally - finally breaking the 150 mark gave me some hope, but not much because ideally the score to shoot for is a 160+ minimum....plus with the economy being so bad many more people are going to want to go to school thus making getting accepted into law school more competitive.

Basically, I dont know if I can get into law school (preferrably Southwestern and USF)even with a 150-153...however, I still want to take the LSAT and get the best score I can it's just the lack of motivation due to my fear of not improving that is bringing me down as well as thoughts that maybe this is a career I may not be suited for... Has anyone ever gone through this dilemna of emotions? If so, how did you overcome?

Thanks!

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: How to stay Motivated?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 02:46:22 PM »
Just remember that if you @#!* your LSAT up, this is the best you'll do:

http://www.peoplescollegeoflaw.edu/

Keep that in mind and you'll probably be motivated enough to study.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Liz Lemon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 03:50:44 PM »
I empathize with you, candy.  When I was studying, I had a 149 diagnostic, then a 152, and 158.  I was so excited to be going up so quickly but then reality set in.  I got a 156 on my next PT then a 154!!!  I actually ended up getting several 154s and towards the end I was back at 158/159 but not breaking the 160 I so desperately wanted.

There were low points during which I was giving up hope, I stopped studying and I wasn't taking everything seriously enough but my boyfriend and family were very encouraging.  After getting a 154 for a third time, I was in tears and my boyfriend said "when you fall off the horse, you have to get right back on otherwise you'll never get on again."  This is absolutely right.  I reminded myself of this constantly and kept pushing through, but I never broke 159 on a practice test.  At some point an instructor joked that I only needed to break 160 once and to make it count, and I took it to heart.

I got my February score on Friday, a 162!  I was literally screaming with delight...I went to call my parents and accidentally called a stranger, yelling into the phone that I got a 162.  good times.

When it came down to the weeks leading up to my exam, I did two timed sections a night (one logical reasoning and then alternating reading comp and games) as well as one PT per week.  It really helped me nail down my timing and my results got higher and more consistent when I did that.  This might not be the best strategy for you personally but I wanted to share my tactics in case this is something that might help you.

Just know that you absolutely can break past 160.  It just takes time, practice, and patience.  I am not a good test taker (the SATs were a debacle), but that's just not an excuse for giving up hope.  I am a firm believer that practicing standardized tests will result in improved scores and you just have to practice enough.  As that stupid joke goes, the best way to get to Carnegie Hall is practice, practice, practice.  We can easily apply that to law school :)

Everyone experiences lulls in reaching their goals and suffers from slumps and setbacks.  Not everyone has the courage to keep pushing forward but those who do persevere.  Have the confidence and strength to know that you can get past your slump and reach your goals. 

Good luck!

Mashael

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 04:31:17 PM »
I believe I relate to the same as well.

I started preparing continuously for the past 2 months for June's LSAT, and this week only I got extremely discouraged.

My daily study average was 3-4 hrs, and that's after a 9-hr work shift. I didn't study at all today or yesterday!

I feel absolutely awful about it, because I'm one of those who always have dreamed to go to Law School. There isn't anything else that I would wake up for every morning.

You have no idea how much it will cost me to pursue this, and it's adding to the pressure; if this doesn't work, I have nothing left. I'm not trying to sound dramatic, it's LITERALLY true; I'm putting everything I have into this!!!

I know one thing though; my greatest concern right now is whether or not my preparation will payoff, methodologically speaking. Wana know my practice score? it's < 140...!!!

I'm not trying to de-motivate anyone, it just feels less stressful when you know you're not alone in this!
Mashael - Unlicensed Lawyer!

candylover

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 07:06:57 PM »
To Jerz - that story really raised my spirits. Thank you for the excellent advice, I will actually apply that when June heads closer. I also think that this test is very much a mental test/struggle. You are def. lucky to have such a supportive circle.

I believe that's why I have been so much in despair and hopelessness because my ex-boyfriend and his whole family that I have always been around for the past 6+ months(well not his whole family - just his bro, sis and dad) keep telling me they think I will never get above a certain score...and even that they dont think I'd pass the bar or get into a school. We have now broken up - good riddens! Anyway...

So even though I know that I should really develop the tough cheeks to be strong independently, I will read this thread everytime I get down in the dumps to help get me back on track...

To Mashael - I say keep at it...and this advice also goes to myself because I feel exactly as you do so....keep at it because you can only run into the same door so many times before you learn...and also we both have nothing to lose. If we keep practicing and most importantly studying the right way it's not like we'll get any worse at this, we'll likely improve! Thanks for your support guys ~ Candylover

Oh and did I mention I cried as well? Well for the record ... I did. For days and days...if anyone even asked about the LSATs I'd start tearing up...let's hope I never relive those tearful moments

Mitchell

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 08:49:11 PM »
Mmmmmmmitchell

Liz Lemon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 09:51:21 AM »
PM me if you ever feel like you need a support system, I'm happy to help :)

SellinEvo84Law

• AOL Instant Messenger - edean483
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 11:39:06 PM »
I empathize with you, candy.  When I was studying, I had a 149 diagnostic, then a 152, and 158.  I was so excited to be going up so quickly but then reality set in.  I got a 156 on my next PT then a 154!!!  I actually ended up getting several 154s and towards the end I was back at 158/159 but not breaking the 160 I so desperately wanted.

There were low points during which I was giving up hope, I stopped studying and I wasn't taking everything seriously enough but my boyfriend and family were very encouraging.  After getting a 154 for a third time, I was in tears and my boyfriend said "when you fall off the horse, you have to get right back on otherwise you'll never get on again."  This is absolutely right.  I reminded myself of this constantly and kept pushing through, but I never broke 159 on a practice test.  At some point an instructor joked that I only needed to break 160 once and to make it count, and I took it to heart.

I got my February score on Friday, a 162!  I was literally screaming with delight...I went to call my parents and accidentally called a stranger, yelling into the phone that I got a 162.  good times.

When it came down to the weeks leading up to my exam, I did two timed sections a night (one logical reasoning and then alternating reading comp and games) as well as one PT per week.  It really helped me nail down my timing and my results got higher and more consistent when I did that.  This might not be the best strategy for you personally but I wanted to share my tactics in case this is something that might help you.

Just know that you absolutely can break past 160.  It just takes time, practice, and patience.  I am not a good test taker (the SATs were a debacle), but that's just not an excuse for giving up hope.  I am a firm believer that practicing standardized tests will result in improved scores and you just have to practice enough.  As that stupid joke goes, the best way to get to Carnegie Hall is practice, practice, practice.  We can easily apply that to law school :)

Everyone experiences lulls in reaching their goals and suffers from slumps and setbacks.  Not everyone has the courage to keep pushing forward but those who do persevere.  Have the confidence and strength to know that you can get past your slump and reach your goals. 

Good luck!
I have started preparing for the June Lsat. I have done a similar regimen in the past increasing my score +7 from 138. Is there any particulars you did in between daily sections? I would always go over my incorrect responses, and look over my outlines from the prep-course.
LSAT:138, 145, 153
UGPA:2.99

Liz Lemon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 10:20:27 AM »

I have started preparing for the June Lsat. I have done a similar regimen in the past increasing my score +7 from 138. Is there any particulars you did in between daily sections? I would always go over my incorrect responses, and look over my outlines from the prep-course.

I was in the Kaplan prep course and I would try going through their "mastery" book and practicing all sorts of untimed questions and then going over the explanations.  I was studying while working about 10 hours a day with a 90 minute commute each way so it was kind of hard for me to buckle down and study more, but if i had more time i would have focused on untimed questions and thoroughly reading the explanations.