Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Tough Decisions : Which Law School?  (Read 1793 times)

resipsaloquitur

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Tough Decisions : Which Law School?
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2009, 10:49:38 AM »

What's more important to you: your relationship with your husband or your school? 

It's going to be hard enough both being professional students, but if you add distance... seriously think about the chance that the relationship just could not be maintained and how you would feel about that.

TTom

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2009, 10:59:56 AM »

What's more important to you: your relationship with your husband or your school? 

It's going to be hard enough both being professional students, but if you add distance... seriously think about the chance that the relationship just could not be maintained and how you would feel about that.

Although I've known people who do it.

Harrison

• broker and brokerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2009, 12:15:41 AM »
I think there are a lot more factors at play than the relative strengths and weakness of the respective schools with your husband going to Tulane for med school. While Fordham places better, I don't see that difference justifying 3 (And probably) more years of separation.

Keep in mind that Fordham places mostly in NYC- so you won't necessarily be able to join your husband after you graduate unless you forgo getting a job. Job prospects out of either are largely going to be a matter of class rank and will largely be centered around the respective regions the schools are located in.

Frankly, I'm not sure Columbia is worth going to in your situation unless your husband is willing to forgo Tulane for med school for it.
The medical residency placement system is nationwide.  My understanding is that it is a unified system;  everyone finds out on the same day where they will end up after med school.  One resident, one placement, no choices once assigned.

Columbia places nationally.  Your husband would be able to request residencies only in the region in which you get a job.  The main constraint would be finding someplace that has residencies available for him a year later, since you'll graduate (and most likely get a job) a year before he gets out.

If you go to law school at Tulane, you will face a similar decision;  you could both stay in LA, or you could both decide to go somewhere else after graduation, but wherever you choose, your law job will settle where you're moving a year before his residency placement will kick in.  Note also that once he gets a residency, he'll be in training for three more years.  More if he goes for a heavy specialty like cardiology.

Better look into how the residency system works, because the above is not authoritative by any means. :)  I have family who went through medical school, and the above is what I gather from what they've said.

Good luck.

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2009, 03:19:36 PM »
Tulane is a crap school, fordham is iffy and not worth moving from your spouse for.  If you are waitlisted at columbia, don't you have other T20 school options?

just Trev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2009, 01:39:21 PM »
Tulane is a crap school, fordham is iffy and not worth moving from your spouse for.  If you are waitlisted at columbia, don't you have other T20 school options?

dude...

your wisdom truly knows no bounds.

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2009, 02:24:44 PM »
I tell it like it is.  Tulane grads didn't place so well before the economy went in the crapper.... How do you think they do now?

Not to mention, the OP needs to know that either choice is a regional one and they should choose based on where they want to live.  Her hubby doc can get a job regardless.