Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Tough Decisions : Which Law School?  (Read 1785 times)

Faphane

• View Profile
Tough Decisions : Which Law School?
« on: March 04, 2009, 12:12:33 PM »
I am writing this post in hopes that someone will have some insight they can share.

I have been very lucky in that I have been accepted into some very good law schools and the time has come for me to make some decisions. My top choices of the schools i got into are fordham and Tulane. However my husband is starting med school at Tulane in the fall. I am not sure what is the wise decision in this situation. To make matters more complicated. I got waitlisted at Columbia and I def do not see myself passing up that opportunity.

What would I be giving up or gaining professionally in this battle of tulane vs. fordham?

Any answers?

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
Re: Tough Decisions : Which Law School?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 12:45:16 PM »
I think there are a lot more factors at play than the relative strengths and weakness of the respective schools with your husband going to Tulane for med school. While Fordham places better, I don't see that difference justifying 3 (And probably) more years of separation.

Keep in mind that Fordham places mostly in NYC- so you won't necessarily be able to join your husband after you graduate unless you forgo getting a job. Job prospects out of either are largely going to be a matter of class rank and will largely be centered around the respective regions the schools are located in.

Frankly, I'm not sure Columbia is worth going to in your situation unless your husband is willing to forgo Tulane for med school for it.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

just Trev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 12:48:45 PM »
obviously you should leave your husband for 3 years while you go to new york...

it's not like marriage is more important than good career prospects...

besides, there's always another husband,

but you can only get one JD.

"That One"

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 01:18:14 PM »

I know you are trying to be sarcastic...but TITCR if you get into Columbia.

wcombs65

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 05:16:00 PM »
Stay away from Tulane unless you want to practice in Louisiana. The Louisiana legal system is very unique. Unless you're going to be a part of it, don't go to school there.
Oklahoma 1L

just Trev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 05:22:14 PM »

I know you are trying to be sarcastic...but TITCR if you get into Columbia.

nothing i could ever say would change your worldview...

we'll just have to agree to disagree.

[edited]

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 07:04:04 PM »
Stay away from Tulane unless you want to practice in Louisiana. The Louisiana legal system is very unique. Unless you're going to be a part of it, don't go to school there.

Just in case you aren't joining the awesomeness of this thread.

75% of Tulane graduates leave Louisiana.  85% of Tulane classes are "Common Law" classes.

haulin_oats

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 12:38:33 AM »
Leaving your husband for three years for law school in New York while he's in med school in Louisiana will result in divorce. You may say it won't, but I guarantee you that it will be more difficult than you could possibly imagine.  I'm in law school and my significant other was in med school 1.5 hours away and there is no way it would have worked for the duration of my three years. Luckily she was able to transfer to a med school in my city after the first year.

Another thing to consider, do you really need a Columbia degree and the massive debt living in New York will bring? Your husband is going to be a doctor and you will be a lawyer, I think the two of you should be able to manage.

rj

• View Profile
Fun Fun Fun Fun
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 07:57:53 AM »
I think Tulane has cemented itself as the most fun law school in the world.  We have a thread of nonsense that goes on for 285 pages for Chrssakes!

Botbot can give you 900 reasons to go to Tulane and not any other school.  Listen to the guru.

Good luck.

TTom

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 10:44:46 AM »
I am writing this post in hopes that someone will have some insight they can share.

I have been very lucky in that I have been accepted into some very good law schools and the time has come for me to make some decisions. My top choices of the schools i got into are fordham and Tulane. However my husband is starting med school at Tulane in the fall. I am not sure what is the wise decision in this situation. To make matters more complicated. I got waitlisted at Columbia and I def do not see myself passing up that opportunity.

What would I be giving up or gaining professionally in this battle of tulane vs. fordham?

Any answers?

Wow. You'd really be willing to be apart from your husband for at least 3 years, probably longer?