Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 3.2 GPA and 140 LSAT....lets try this again  (Read 16231 times)

nyr49er

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 3.2 GPA and 140 LSAT....lets try this again
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2009, 07:22:49 PM »

Thank you for your comments however some of the most high profile agents have not accomplished law school. If I do not get in to a top law school that does not necessarily set me back in competing with others for a job in this field. This industry requires determination, ruthlessness, and a no quit attitude. Getting started in this field will result in years of being rejected and turned down by potential clients. However, you just need to be persistent and not quit.

I do admire your determination, but it's true what others have said -- it's either the JD or the MBA that you need.

Leigh Steinberg - JD
David Dunn (and the other top 2 guys at Athletes First) - JD (in addition three other of the reps at A.F. have MBAs or JDs)
Jeff Moorad - JD
Scott Boras - JD
Rob Pelinka (and almost everyone at his agency) - JD

Many of those that don't have the JD or MBA are those who participated in high level collegiate athletics and/or were themselves professional athletes.  It is more likely than not that a 140 LSAT will not get you where you need to be to make a go at this competitive profession. 

Thanks for the info, and yeah Ive already researched these agents. Working in one of these companies as a runner (where most newbies begin), getting the contacts and experience for a few years and then going on my own is what I plan to do. It is the only way to truly make big money. You suffer for years and years on your own but eventually it will payoff.

This is what I plan to do and what I will do.

PSUDSL08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LS #'s
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2009, 08:27:21 PM »

Thank you for your comments however some of the most high profile agents have not accomplished law school. If I do not get in to a top law school that does not necessarily set me back in competing with others for a job in this field. This industry requires determination, ruthlessness, and a no quit attitude. Getting started in this field will result in years of being rejected and turned down by potential clients. However, you just need to be persistent and not quit.

Im not going to change my career choice. That WILL NOT happen. This is what I am set on doing and this is what I believe I was born to do. How could I possibly live with myself for the rest of my life if I dont settle for the best and what I want to do? Am I suppose to just live my life and do some job that I really dont love much? If I come off as rude, well im sorry, its because I dont want someone to tell me I should maybe reconsider. Im so passionate about this. This stupid damn LSAT or potentially not getting into law school will not stop me from doing what I want.

You only live once, you should do what will make you happy.

Thank you to everyone else with the advice I will definitely check into everything. I really appreciate all of this. It means a lot.

I appreciate your enthusiasm and drive to pursue the career you want. Nobody is telling you not to strive to become a sports agent. I think what some of us are urging you to consider are to (1) be aware of your limitations and to (2) consider your practical alternatives IF becoming a sports agent does not work out.

First, I think your "I won't settle for less" attitude is refreshing and I hope you're able to hold onto that attitude as time progresses. But to be frank, having a chip on your shoulder was, in all likelihood, not enough to get you into an ABA accredited school. 

Even if you were to get into an T4 school, the idea of taking out $100-150K in loans with NO desire to practice law just to have the chance of becoming a sports agent is not a wise financial or professional decision. IF for some reason things don't work out, you're now saddled with $1,000+ a month in loan payments, potentially forced into a career that you don't want.

I think you'd be far better off trying to work in some capacity for a sports agency and pursue a Masters in sports management or an MBA. If you find the right employer, you can get them to pay a chunk of your tuition. It would be a far cheaper and probably easier prerequisite to becoming a sports agent. I wish you luck in whatever course of action you decide.

Netopalis

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - troop85eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2009, 09:20:15 PM »
If you're that determined, you have two options.  Either wait, study for and retake the LSAT or go for the MBA. 
Mercer University School of Law '12

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2009, 09:32:41 PM »
also, I say don't get a non-accredited law degree. If you are in a field full of people with JDs, there is no faster way to make sure you are never taken seriously. 4th tier school, sure, since what you really need is the credential, but not unaccredited.

TTom

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2009, 10:43:11 AM »
I admire the OP's determination.

That said, from his posts, it seems like he's the kind of kid that just doesn't get it. There's an immaturity there. I can't quite put my finger on it but he seems a bit... off.

nyr49er

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2009, 10:59:09 AM »

That said, from his posts, it seems like he's the kind of kid that just doesn't get it. There's an immaturity there. I can't quite put my finger on it but he seems a bit... off.

Nah theres no immaturity there and Im not a bit....off. Just a determined person that knows what they want to do in life. Of course I know there is always a chance of things not happening how they should. I know in 5 years I could be doing something TOTALLY different. But Im not going to settle for not doing what I truly want if I can help that.

So if law school doesnt work, I have back up plans. Such as getting my masters, taking the weekend seminar with the NFLPA and passing that exam so I can get licensed. Then I work with an agency and go from there. Eventually to the point of going on my own because that is the only way you truly make the good money.

So sorry man your definitely wrong.

nyr49er

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2009, 11:00:45 AM »

Im not going to change my career choice. That WILL NOT happen. This is what I am set on doing and this is what I believe I was born to do. How could I possibly live with myself for the rest of my life if I dont settle for the best and what I want to do? Am I suppose to just live my life and do some job that I really dont love much? If I come off as rude, well im sorry, its because I dont want someone to tell me I should maybe reconsider. Im so passionate about this. This stupid damn LSAT or potentially not getting into law school will not stop me from doing what I want.

You only live once, you should do what will make you happy.

Thank you to everyone else with the advice I will definitely check into everything. I really appreciate all of this. It means a lot.

I appreciate your enthusiasm and drive to pursue the career you want. Nobody is telling you not to strive to become a sports agent. I think what some of us are urging you to consider are to (1) be aware of your limitations and to (2) consider your practical alternatives IF becoming a sports agent does not work out.

First, I think your "I won't settle for less" attitude is refreshing and I hope you're able to hold onto that attitude as time progresses. But to be frank, having a chip on your shoulder was, in all likelihood, not enough to get you into an ABA accredited school. 

Even if you were to get into an T4 school, the idea of taking out $100-150K in loans with NO desire to practice law just to have the chance of becoming a sports agent is not a wise financial or professional decision. IF for some reason things don't work out, you're now saddled with $1,000+ a month in loan payments, potentially forced into a career that you don't want.

I think you'd be far better off trying to work in some capacity for a sports agency and pursue a Masters in sports management or an MBA. If you find the right employer, you can get them to pay a chunk of your tuition. It would be a far cheaper and probably easier prerequisite to becoming a sports agent. I wish you luck in whatever course of action you decide.

Thanks for the info. I agree completely with you.

And thanks to everyone else for their inputs on this. Even thanks to the ones that think im immature, crazy, should choose a different path, etc.....I do approciate the honesty. Its important to me to hear this and see what other people think.

TTom

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2009, 11:22:01 AM »

Nah theres no immaturity there and Im not a bit....off. Just a determined person that knows what they want to do in life. Of course I know there is always a chance of things not happening how they should. I know in 5 years I could be doing something TOTALLY different. But Im not going to settle for not doing what I truly want if I can help that.

So if law school doesnt work, I have back up plans. Such as getting my masters, taking the weekend seminar with the NFLPA and passing that exam so I can get licensed. Then I work with an agency and go from there. Eventually to the point of going on my own because that is the only way you truly make the good money.

So sorry man your definitely wrong.

Okay.

*shrug*

SamE397

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2009, 10:23:30 AM »

I do admire your determination, but it's true what others have said -- it's either the JD or the MBA that you need.

Leigh Steinberg - JD
David Dunn (and the other top 2 guys at Athletes First) - JD (in addition three other of the reps at A.F. have MBAs or JDs)
Jeff Moorad - JD
Scott Boras - JD
Rob Pelinka (and almost everyone at his agency) - JD

Many of those that don't have the JD or MBA are those who participated in high level collegiate athletics and/or were themselves professional athletes.  It is more likely than not that a 140 LSAT will not get you where you need to be to make a go at this competitive profession. 

Thanks for the info, and yeah Ive already researched these agents. Working in one of these companies as a runner (where most newbies begin), getting the contacts and experience for a few years and then going on my own is what I plan to do. It is the only way to truly make big money. You suffer for years and years on your own but eventually it will payoff.

This is what I plan to do and what I will do.
I actually looked over the sites for those firms and of the handful of people profiled there were some who went to top schools(UCLA, Yale, Boalt, and Michigan) but there were also people listed who either had unimpressive academic backgrounds or who went to non-elite schools(McGeorge, Case Western, and Chapman).

I don't doubt that becoming a successful sport's agent is very hard but if the profiles listed are any indication of how difficult it is; it doesn't appear to be significantly harder if you're not in a T-25.

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2009, 10:39:54 AM »
I actually looked over those sites and of the handful of people profiled there were some who went to top schools(UCLA, Yale, Boalt, and Michigan) but there were also people listed who either had unimpressive academic backgrounds or who went to non-elite schools(McGeorge, Case Western, and Chapman).

I don't doubt that becoming a successful sport's agent is very hard but if the profiles listed are any indication of how difficult it is; it doesn't appear to be significantly harder if you're not in a T-25.

Yes, and if you'll also notice, the woman (Diana Day from the Landmark Agency) who went to Chapman was also a high level Division I athlete and Scott Boras is a former professional baseball player -- which is why I qualified my remarks regarding NCAA athletics or professional athletics.  I'm not sure about the others, but they're 2 of the ones I remember off the top of my head.  If the OP has participated in either of the aforementioned, this conversation is a wrap.  However, I suspect he hasn't or else it would have already been mentioned.

But you're right.  It's not impossible to come from a low ranked school to become an agent.  However, the chances are extremely unlikely.  Case Western guy: merit scholar and Law Review.  If that can happen, then more power to the OP.  However, the odds are not in his favor.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French