Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 3.2 GPA and 140 LSAT....lets try this again  (Read 16080 times)

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: 3.2 GPA and 140 LSAT....lets try this again
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 04:15:42 PM »
GRE is the exam for a masters, GMAT is MBA. They are both weighted less heavily than the LSATs in applications, which is what is significant. Look, I don't necessarily think you will do badly in law school. It seems to me like maybe the best thing to do would be to go work for one of those places you mentioned now, start building your career, and then do a part time MBA or law degree on the side. I assume the goal is not to be a NFLPA agent the moment you graduate from law school right?

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 04:29:17 PM »
Thank you for all the comments so far:

First off no I have no learning disability however I have never been tested for dyslexia. Maybe it is a possibility. I do better if it is drawn out because I think I am more of a visual learner. However, I honestly cannot be exact. Its hard to say, I never really thought about that.

Dyslexia is a very rare learning disability, it most often goes undiagnosed because the symptoms vary from person to person and in severity and dyslexics find ways of coping with the disability, or avoiding it all together (like not taking math classes if its most prominent in math or not taking writing class if its most prominent in writing, its not easily diagnosed without special testing unlike say ADD) or dropping out of school all together. Less than 50% of those diagnosed with dyslexia make it past high school, much less UG or grad school.

See if your UG has a psychology program or teaching school, if they do find out if you can talk to someone about if you might have dyslexia. They can ask you more pointed questions, if they think you might have there are a battery of tests they will give you to determine if you do and the level of your impairment. They may do this for free as a teaching add for the grad students.
If it turns out you do have dyslexia there are certain test taking strategies that work better for dyslexics that they donít teach in LSAT prep classes, those might help you score better with some practice. You might also be eligible for extended time, but that is very hard to get.

At this point with a 140 its going to be tough to get in anywhere. If you have taken a class, did all the homework, and are still scoring in the low 140s my hunch is there is more going on there than just not getting it. And if you do have dyslexia law school is going to be even tougher for you than UG, unless you learn the skills to compensate for it. Its not often that I see dyslexia in other people, but your math issues and being a visual learner are strong clues you may have a learning disability, being visual is one way dyslexics coping with number/letter inversion, they avoid them by learning from visual cues that donít involve letters or numbers to transpose.

If you are dyslexic, then your LSAT has zero predictive value on your law school performance, its standardized on a population who thinks and interprets information completely different than you, and thus is not good at measuring your skill. Like I said, Iím dyslexic, severally so, my LSAT was well below the 25% of my school, one of the lowest I bet, and Iím ranked #13 in my class and I put in very little effort into law school. The key is knowing how to learn as a dyslexic, so go get tested, if for nothing else than to get rid of that possibility.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2009, 04:31:04 PM »
GRE is the exam for a masters, GMAT is MBA.

But be aware, unlike the LSAT the GMAT and GRE are math heavy, your going to run into the same problems you did in your UG business math classes, especially on the GMAT.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

SamE397

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2009, 06:38:31 PM »
It's rare but schools do sometimes take chances on people with low lsats. For example I know someone who got into Wayne State(Median lsat 155) with an lsat in the 130s. Keep in mind, this isn't usual but given that you do have clear career goals and have done well in legal studies classes in the past, I think you could be the exception. Good-luck.

P.S do you have an LSN account I could look at? 

Liz Lemon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2009, 11:18:50 PM »
i'm sure someone else on this board knows a lot more about this than i do, but i have been looking into schools with joint degrees involving sports.  UGA has a sports studies/JD program but you have to get into the sports management program and not the law school.  this means they would look at a GRE score instead of your LSAT.  I don't know many more details but here is where I found the information:

http://www.law.uga.edu/academics/degree/index.html#Joint

This isn't a fit for me personally because I want to attend law school, but if you have your heart set on sports law it's something to consider.  Just wanted to throw that idea out there for you.

dreameca

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2009, 11:47:16 PM »
where are u located at? I totally agree with the idea that you should go into the field now and then work on ur law degree part time. I know glendale university/ college of law would take very low LSAT scores. Its not ABA approved, but there are a lot of financial aid and the tuition is 1/3 of regular law schools. If you can only make it to a t4 school at full price, why not try a non accredited school with a much lower price? I am not sure, but I doubt there will be huge difference. And the work load and competition is much easier in such a school. Good Luck! I got overwhelmed on my first diagnostic for LSAT. I honestly dont believe doing horribly on the LSAT will predict horrible performance in law school. dont give up! =]

latinlord

• Sr. Citizen
  • ME... Litigating at the Indiana State Court house!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - latinlord
    • View Profile
    • myspace profile, "come and say hello"
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2009, 11:28:48 AM »
You may have a chance at Cooley Law... They use an admission formula... you should call them and tell them your numbers and see what they say... Also apply to the schools I got into (via my LSN profile).. You may have a chance at them.. Good luck! I feel your pain...  Don't give up if it is what you want to do... - ciao
Graduated from Indiana Law - Indianapolis!!
Was a 3rd year Visiting Student at Villanova University School of Law.
Graduated from Temple University Beasley School of Law - LL.M in Trial Advocacy Candidate 2010
 Published by Chicano/Latino Law Review of UCLA LAW. & I'm a Licensed Esq. NOW!

Netopalis

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - troop85eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2009, 12:41:12 PM »
OP, as much as I hate to say it, you may want to reconsider your choice of career - there are a TON of people who want to be sports agents, and very few actual jobs in the field.  With your incoming numbers, you'd be fighting an uphill battle from the starting gun, where most of your competitors are already ahead of you.  It's not impossible to do what you're thinking of...But it is highly improbable.  I always say to not go to law school unless you have a desire to practice law, and that applies here as well.  Unless you would be content working as a lawyer, don't go to law school.
Mercer University School of Law '12

nyr49er

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2009, 05:01:21 PM »
OP, as much as I hate to say it, you may want to reconsider your choice of career - there are a TON of people who want to be sports agents, and very few actual jobs in the field.  With your incoming numbers, you'd be fighting an uphill battle from the starting gun, where most of your competitors are already ahead of you.  It's not impossible to do what you're thinking of...But it is highly improbable.  I always say to not go to law school unless you have a desire to practice law, and that applies here as well.  Unless you would be content working as a lawyer, don't go to law school.

Thank you for your comments however some of the most high profile agents have not accomplished law school. If I do not get in to a top law school that does not necessarily set me back in competing with others for a job in this field. This industry requires determination, ruthlessness, and a no quit attitude. Getting started in this field will result in years of being rejected and turned down by potential clients. However, you just need to be persistent and not quit.

Im not going to change my career choice. That WILL NOT happen. This is what I am set on doing and this is what I believe I was born to do. How could I possibly live with myself for the rest of my life if I dont settle for the best and what I want to do? Am I suppose to just live my life and do some job that I really dont love much? If I come off as rude, well im sorry, its because I dont want someone to tell me I should maybe reconsider. Im so passionate about this. This stupid damn LSAT or potentially not getting into law school will not stop me from doing what I want.

You only live once, you should do what will make you happy.

Thank you to everyone else with the advice I will definitely check into everything. I really appreciate all of this. It means a lot.

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2009, 05:35:48 PM »

Thank you for your comments however some of the most high profile agents have not accomplished law school. If I do not get in to a top law school that does not necessarily set me back in competing with others for a job in this field. This industry requires determination, ruthlessness, and a no quit attitude. Getting started in this field will result in years of being rejected and turned down by potential clients. However, you just need to be persistent and not quit.

I do admire your determination, but it's true what others have said -- it's either the JD or the MBA that you need.

Leigh Steinberg - JD
David Dunn (and the other top 2 guys at Athletes First) - JD (in addition three other of the reps at A.F. have MBAs or JDs)
Jeff Moorad - JD
Scott Boras - JD
Rob Pelinka (and almost everyone at his agency) - JD

Many of those that don't have the JD or MBA are those who participated in high level collegiate athletics and/or were themselves professional athletes.  It is more likely than not that a 140 LSAT will not get you where you need to be to make a go at this competitive profession. 
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French