Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Thoughts on bringing guests to a visit?  (Read 2465 times)

bridgemonkey405

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN - 174/3.7
Thoughts on bringing guests to a visit?
« on: March 04, 2009, 11:14:18 AM »
So I know this has been talked about over and over again, but what is the general policy on bringing guests (such as a significant other) to an ASD? For instance, I think W&L encourages it. I can't find any information on Vanderbilt's ASD though... I will probably just call the admissions office and ask at some point. But I was wondering whether it's a faux pas or frowned upon in any way?

NMUZ

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Thoughts on bringing guests to a visit?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 02:04:57 PM »
I attended the St. Thomas ASD last weekend and brought my fiance.  I would say that about three quarters of the admitted students brought at least one guest.  Parents are a little tacky to me, but a significant other seems good.  St. Thomas was more than accomodating to the guests and were really welcoming to them too. 

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 02:09:09 PM »
tag
Quote from: Lionel Hutz, Esq.
Well he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word "kinda" with "repeatedly" and the word "dog" with "son."

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 02:09:35 PM »
I picked up a hooker on the way to my ASD, left her at the buffet table though, becuase as I sobred up she did not look as good to me.*

*Take whoever the f u want/need to help you decide if this is the right school for you, your already in, they can't take that away becuase your bring your SO
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

SamE397

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 02:22:08 PM »
I see nothing wrong with it at every place I've visited many people brought along family, SO's included in this context. Of course there are malcontents who views things differently but I say f them bring whoever you want and or need to bring along.

bridgemonkey405

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN - 174/3.7
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 04:38:45 PM »
I picked up a hooker on the way to my ASD, left her at the buffet table though, becuase as I sobred up she did not look as good to me.*

While all the advice was good... this was clearly the best. Thanks guys!

dagreat1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 07:21:04 PM »
I'm bringing my parents and my gf; I think its important for all three of them to see and understand the law school culture since they're going to have to listen to me complain for the next three years.
Rutgers Camden. 2012

penni_rose

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 03:25:51 PM »
I didn't bring anyone to the ASD that I attended, but most people did. I might have brought my husband, but he had to work.

I think it depends on how your guest will act. In my experience, SOs are better to bring than parents. This is just because from what I saw, the SOs were good about letting the student make their own impression on people. They generally didn't ask too many questions or talk over the student. Parents definitely did. Moms would answer questions for the student instead of letting their kids talk. It really made the students look inexperienced and young.

seattlegirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 05:17:33 PM »
Some of my schools have asked for an RSVP for the student and the number of guests they are bringing. So I assume that they expect people to bring guests with them. 

HavocWreak

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2009, 06:24:23 PM »
I wouldn't bring anyone to a visit. Today I went to visit UofH and two people brought KIDS!  :-\