Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Tough Decisions : Which Law School?  (Read 1653 times)

SplitFinger

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a real pretend lawyer now!
    • View Profile
Re: Tough Decisions : Which Law School?
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2009, 01:56:48 PM »
Well, if your husband is going to Tulane and you're not, then you are probably giving up your marriage.  So I guess it depends on how important that is to you.
Emory '09

LSN

'blueskies

• LSD Obsessed
  • your changing skyline is twisting me up inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 02:12:55 PM »
I don't think that's right. The decision should be what is the best option so that they could be together once they graduate and move into the working world. Three years or so is a small sacrifice to be together again after so that they can build their life together
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

SplitFinger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2009, 03:14:10 PM »
I'd bet money that their marriage cannot survive three years of being apart, while they are both involved in incredibly intense and pressure-packed professional school programs.  Hell, even if they both go to the same school, it's gonna be rough.

Emory '09

LSN

SplitFinger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2009, 04:36:39 PM »
I'd bet money that their marriage cannot survive three years of being apart, while they are both involved in incredibly intense and pressure-packed professional school programs.  Hell, even if they both go to the same school, it's gonna be rough.

You never know. In fact, no one knows but them, and even they can't be 100% that it's going to work or going to crumble. Which doesn't do a whole lot to explain why she's asking the internet. Maybe she's just looking for reassurance that it can work, validation that her gut is telling her the right thing, whatever.

Well, speaking as someone who is twice-married, once-divorced, and who can see law school graduation on the horizon, I strongly, strongly suggest that trying to do three years of law school and four years of medical school half a country apart is a recipe for marital suicide.  Tulane is a perfectly good school - particularly if the other option is Fordham -so it's not like she is throwing away a T-14 school to go to a TTT.

In the unlikely event that the OP gets off the CLS wait list, I agree it would be a tougher decision, but I think that's a long shot.
Emory '09

LSN

SplitFinger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2009, 05:10:07 PM »
I see, so I can be most helpful to the OP's request for advice by not giving any advice?

Perhaps so, but what I see is someone who, from where I sit, is seriously considering a course of action that is foolish in the extreme, based on the crazy notion that she will have "better options" graduating from Fordham than from Tulane.  That's just nuts, and furthermore sounds like someone who does not realize how much strain she is about to put herself under as a law student, irrespective of which school she chooses.

There's nothing particularly unusual about what I've seen and experienced.  Unsurprisingly, most of my best law school friends are other married folks, and if there is anyone who is happier to see graduation coming than the students, it's the spouses.  It's been hard on everyone.  Fortunately it appears that everyone's marriages are going to survive, unlike many if not most of the "serious" relationships that my classmates had when we entered as 1L's.  Most of those didn't make it.

Emory '09

LSN

SplitFinger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2009, 09:33:19 AM »
Oh, I get it.  I just find it remarkably juvenile.
Emory '09

LSN