Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NYU/Georgetown Tax LLM Admissions  (Read 15453 times)

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: NYU/Georgetown Tax LLM Admissions
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2009, 03:56:39 PM »
Its not true.  Certain practice groups are fairly insulated from the economic downturn, yet, many firms deferred all groups.  Not everyone can be out. 

I didn't say everyone.  I said almost every 3L.  Very different.

Almost every is pretty inclusive.  It is not like there are only niche practice groups that are doing well right now.  IP lit and general IP stuff is still going strong.  More than an insignificant number of students are going into this field. Therefore, almost every 3L is an overstatement.

bl825

• Sr. Citizen
  • There are just so many reasons to smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2009, 04:03:28 PM »
Its not true.  Certain practice groups are fairly insulated from the economic downturn, yet, many firms deferred all groups.  Not everyone can be out. 

I didn't say everyone.  I said almost every 3L.  Very different.

Almost every is pretty inclusive.  It is not like there are only niche practice groups that are doing well right now.  IP lit and general IP stuff is still going strong.  More than an insignificant number of students are going into this field. Therefore, almost every 3L is an overstatement.

What makes you think firms aren't just reassigning associates from other practice areas into those practices, then cutting back on hiring?  Why hire new people to work in IP when you can just move around associates who are underworked?
Oh yea...you're delicious and lean, but unsustainable and not to be consumed daily.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2009, 04:08:35 PM »
Firms cant have non-patent agents prosecuting, so it closes off that avenue. 

Plus, beyond just IP, bankruptcy and lit are pretty strong right now.  Granted, other associates can be moved over to pick up the work.  However, it isnt economically practical.  They cannot bill these people at their normal rates because of their inexperience, and it isnt feasible to be billing them at lower rates and paying them at higher rates when there are a lot of equally inexperienced attorneys looking for jobs.

All I am saying is that we are not all screwed.

bl825

• Sr. Citizen
  • There are just so many reasons to smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2009, 04:38:30 PM »
Firms cant have non-patent agents prosecuting, so it closes off that avenue. 

Plus, beyond just IP, bankruptcy and lit are pretty strong right now.  Granted, other associates can be moved over to pick up the work.  However, it isnt economically practical.  They cannot bill these people at their normal rates because of their inexperience, and it isnt feasible to be billing them at lower rates and paying them at higher rates when there are a lot of equally inexperienced attorneys looking for jobs.

All I am saying is that we are not all screwed.

I'm not saying all the 3L's are screwed, so we at least agree on that.  I'm just saying there's no reason why they couldn't be (i.e. no reason why kolya's comments make no sense).  And moving people around shouldn't be economically impractical for at least the first year associates.  Why bring in 2009s when you have 2008s that are underworked and could easily be shifted somewhere else?

But again, I don't think it'll be all that bad.  I just don't see any reason why it couldn't be.
Oh yea...you're delicious and lean, but unsustainable and not to be consumed daily.