Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Need Based Grants  (Read 5725 times)

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Need Based Grants
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2009, 06:30:52 PM »
I got grants in UG, have a good amount of student loan debt from UG/grad school already, and I was advised I didn't qualify for grant money either.  It makes me wonder if part of the grants are tied to Michigan residency.

These sound like good questions for the financial aid office.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2009, 07:23:51 PM »
I think I did the grant form before the award, but I'm not 100% sure.

People are really just trying to help and you sound super defensive.  Good luck finding your answers.

heartbreaker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2009, 07:48:59 PM »
MoonSafari, what other schools are you doing financial aid for? A lot of schools require it, so you might have to do it anyway. Might as well just add Michigan to the list of schools who receive your info on Need Access.

MoonSafari

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2009, 07:51:31 PM »
I see your point but I deferred from last year, so no other schools.

heartbreaker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2009, 07:53:49 PM »
Gotcha.

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2009, 07:59:36 PM »
I did NeedAccess because there were several schools to which I applied that required the form.  Truly, it was one of the most heinous experiences of the application process.  But I'm a poor and I need money so I sucked it up.

From the website, it seems as if Need Access is only for those who are noted to be eligible for grants.  If it says you're ineligible, just from reading the website it would seem as if you don't need to do NA.  However, since you truly believe you are needy, this is why I'm encouraging you to speak to the Financial Aid office.  There may be some way you can appeal or something.

Pop Up Video

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2009, 10:19:02 PM »
Well, I'm going to Michigan for sure. FAFSA is done. I also filled out their questions that supposedly determine whether you qualify for grants. If you do, I believe it directs you to fill out Need Access. If you don't qualify, it sends you on your merry way. Which begs the question, though, of whether (at Mich.) people who don't qualify for grants still need to fill out Need Access. It certainly isn't very clear. Anyone who knows, please share.

Also, if parental iformation is so important in determining grant need, then why would Michigan have a question set that tells you if you're likely or not likely to qualify for need based grants BEFORE having you fill out Need Access? All these questions ask about are assets, previous debt and whether you received grants for undergrad.

And I just think it's a bit crazy that given I'm already in moderate debt, and have virtually no assets (negative net worth), I still don't seem to be a candidate for grants. Which returns me to my previous question: Who is?

I just don't get it...

Michigan doesn't require parental info.

http://www.law.umich.edu/prospectivestudents/admissions/financial/applyingaid/Pages/finaid-1l.aspx