Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: *DUI* on Summer Applications?  (Read 1505 times)

notmychairnotmyproblem

• View Profile
    • Email
*DUI* on Summer Applications?
« on: March 03, 2009, 11:25:35 AM »
So I have an interesting/terrible dilemma.  My summer externship applications for the AG/City Attorney/District Court(s) have a question at the end that specifically states:  Have you ever been convicted of a criminal offense or do you currently have a criminal case pending? 

I got arrested for DUI 8 months ago.  No charges have been filed yet, and no court date has been set. I have yet to see a judge.  The statute of limitations on prosecution here for DUI is one year.   (Please spare me the insults, I know it was idiotic.)  Is this technically a "pending" criminal case?  I think the general rule is disclose/disclose/disclose, but if I don't have to, I don't want to.  I'm very worried that despite my good grades, I will be overlooked because of it. 

Any advice from the learned LSD population is greatly appreciated. 

TTom

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: *DUI* on Summer Applications?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 11:32:47 AM »
So I have an interesting/terrible dilemma.  My summer externship applications for the AG/City Attorney/District Court(s) have a question at the end that specifically states:  Have you ever been convicted of a criminal offense or do you currently have a criminal case pending? 

I got arrested for DUI 8 months ago.  No charges have been filed yet, and no court date has been set. I have yet to see a judge.  The statute of limitations on prosecution here for DUI is one year.   (Please spare me the insults, I know it was idiotic.)  Is this technically a "pending" criminal case?  I think the general rule is disclose/disclose/disclose, but if I don't have to, I don't want to.  I'm very worried that despite my good grades, I will be overlooked because of it. 

You weren't arraigned after being arrested?

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 11:52:51 AM »

Disclose. What if you donít disclose, do great at your internship, get offered a job then get charged. Your offer is going to disappear. This is not bad as you think it is and not as bad as liying/misleading about it. Likewise if your supervisor is a lawyer and finds out you lied they have an ethics duty to report you to the C&F when you apply to the bar because thatís something affecting your trustworthiness to practice law Ė lying on an application or misleading on an application. Just disclose it.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 12:00:43 PM »
I would disclose and hope that the window closes for prosecution.
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

notmychairnotmyproblem

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 01:35:41 PM »
Thanks so much for the replies.  Not what I was hoping for, but I would rather do the right thing.  As for the earlier question, no, I was never arraigned.  Released and never (as of yet) charged.  Oh well, lie in the bed you make I suppose. 

On a side note, I have a 1 page area to "explain".  Should I make note of the fact that I haven't been charged?  That I was arrested for "suspicion" of DUI? 

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 01:42:20 PM »
Maybe you might want to get legal advice from a bona fide lawyer.  I'm sure she/he could provide you with the best advice.
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 01:43:31 PM »
Thanks so much for the replies.  Not what I was hoping for, but I would rather do the right thing.  As for the earlier question, no, I was never arraigned.  Released and never (as of yet) charged.  Oh well, lie in the bed you make I suppose. 

On a side note, I have a 1 page area to "explain".  Should I make note of the fact that I haven't been charged?  That I was arrested for "suspicion" of DUI? 

Yes make note of it, but spend the magority of the 1 page talking about what you learned from this and how it will make you  better prosectutor. Good luck
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 02:59:20 PM »
Talk to a real lawyer.  If you were never charged, it never happened.  Talk to a lawyer and get the deal on the semantics and whether this qualifies as a pending charge or not.