Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Need another 3rd time advice... please help!  (Read 816 times)

chipmunker

• View Profile
Need another 3rd time advice... please help!
« on: March 03, 2009, 10:54:37 AM »
I noticed there are a couple of similar posts already so I will keep this short: I've taken the LSAT twice, first time a 161 and second time a 165. I went to a top 10 undergrad which has a reputation for grade deflation and my GPA was 3.58. I have pretty strong letters of rec. I actually told myself that I would not go to law school unless I could get into a top 25 law school, preferrably with a little bit of money. So here is the question... should I bother taking the LSAT for the third time?

I actually don't mind taking it for the third time but I would like to do it only if it will be helpful. I also wonder how significant my improvement will have to be for my chances of getting accepted to greatly increase at a T25 school. A friend of mine told me to just apply and see what happens because top schools generally look down on the third score. Any ideas if this is really the case? I would appreciate any advice on my situation. Many thanks.

zippyandzap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Clint Dempsey FTW
    • View Profile
Re: Need another 3rd time advice... please help!
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 10:55:58 AM »
What evidence is there that suggests you'll do better the third time?  Without knowing that, it's hard to give you advice.

chipmunker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 11:02:28 AM »
to be honest with you I have no evidence yet. I took the first time in October 2008 and the second time in February 2009, which means I just got back my second score. And since Feb is a non-disclosed test, I actually don't know my performance on each section.

I will however only give it a third try if I am confident that I can improve (i.e., scoring consistantly above my previous scores) but I wonder how significant this has to be for it to be worth my efforts. For instance, will it be worth it if I end up scoring only 2 points higher, i.e. a 167? Or the admissions officers will discount it so that it doesn't really matter?

Thanks.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 11:40:29 AM »
Just accept that you're not going to a t14 for law school in all likelihood, but that you can go to a t40. You'll be fine.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

sunglee

• Dash your curry like you not in a hurry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 07:22:47 PM »
honestly, i would recommend against a third time. This might look bad, ofcourse if I keep taking the LSAT, i'm sure I too can hit a great score (170+). Write a great PS, and have your RECs, and just apply. I'm not one of those people that thinks 100percent of admittance is your numbers. I still think a 165 is pretty great.

At the end, make a correct decision, goodluck
no-body expects the Spanish inquisition

sirjake

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 09:06:25 AM »
It was *definitely* worth it for me to get two points higher on my third try (163, 166, 168).  Money went up 10k per year at my target school.  I was already admitted with money, but they reexamined and upped it.  That's 30k I don't have to worry about due to two freakin' points.

I had no hard evidence that I could do better, but felt like I had a reasonable expectation of doing better.  I didn't get my target of 172 (alas, I screwed up on my strength, logic games, and had to guess on about 5 questions there), but apparently, 2 points make a big difference anyway.

I considered just sticking with what I had.  I was already in at my target school.  But I went ahead again because the small investment (relatively) had such a huge upside.  I mean, if you consider test fee, prep materials, vacation time used to study, and incidentals, it still only amounts to maybe $1,000 (probably way less). That's $1k and sweat for a $30k return.

That logic games section will haunt me (170 was in my grasp!), but still, 30k is 30k and it's at a great school.  I'm glad I retook.

lsatprofessor

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2009, 03:54:38 PM »
i'm surprised to hear the last poster's story of 10K for two additional points.  that doesn't fit with my expectation.  i suppose that's why expectations/assumptions are so notoriously wrong!

in the old days, lsat scores were usually averaged by schools, thus to get an increase out of a 161 and a 165, you would need to score above a 169.  Anything lower and you would actually bring down your average, which is, of course, a big risk.

it seems that since the ABA changed the way that law schools report LSAT scores for students, this has changed a bit.  read this article for more info: http://www.admissionsconsultants.com/lawschool/blog_dm_lsatscores.asp

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2009, 12:00:05 AM »
in the old days, lsat scores were usually averaged by schools, thus to get an increase out of a 161 and a 165, you would need to score above a 169.  Anything lower and you would actually bring down your average

Maybe I'm bad at math, but I don't see how anything 163+ on the third test would lower your average.

lsatprofessor

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2009, 11:49:29 AM »
ha.  brain fart.  of course, earlcat's math is right.