Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Visiting U of Chicago this weekend--any advice...  (Read 1304 times)

eruffin

• View Profile
Visiting U of Chicago this weekend--any advice...
« on: March 02, 2009, 11:34:26 PM »
This is especially directed at the several U of C students on the board--

I'm visiting this Friday the 6th, getting into town early Thursday afternoon. Planning on doing the admitted students day: go to a class( I know its the last day of class), lunch, etc. I also want to check out Regents and maybe some on Campus Housing.

Could you guys recommend anything in particular I should do while on Campus?  Any good questions I might not think to ask? Good Restaurants/Bars in the HP area (or downtown where I'm staying) for Friday night?  I know thats all a little vague, but I'm trying to prepare a bit/cover my bases.

For a little background, I'm pretty much deciding between Chicago and Columbia and have been leaning towards Chicago--especially since I got a 48k scholarship. I am from the South and probably want to work somewhere in the SE after graduation (Atlanta, Dallas).

My biggest worry right now is taking on the debt--especially given the bloodbath daily related by ATL. Well, that and the bitter cold.   
3.65, 175

nerfco

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
Re: Visiting U of Chicago this weekend--any advice...
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 10:18:33 AM »
I, like bosco, offer no suggestions for what to do. Do you have a guide and such to show you around the school? I don't really know how admitted student days work. Also, do you know what class you'll visit? Not many people have Friday classes, at least past 1L, and I suspect that the last class of the quarter will be very sparsely attended, unless it is a review session, in which case attendance should be a lot better.

Also, I hope you enjoy visiting both schools. They're both great places, and I'm sure you will be happy, and end up with the type of job you want, at either school.

MissMaroon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 11:23:56 AM »
Hey! I just graduated from UChicago undergrad and I still live here in Hyde Park, so I can definitely help you.

Restaurants:
The Medici (aka "The Med") - This is the amazing and popular campus spot that serves Maroon faves like the spinach goat cheese pizza and the Mexicana milkshake. Trying this place out is NOT optional. Plus, the staff wears "Obama Eats Here" t-shirts because... well, he does. It's on 57th street. Stop by the Med bakery next door too for some excellent almond cookies.
Honorary mention: Harold's Chicken on 53rd and Woodlawn. This place looks like a piece of crap but the wings and fries are heaven and every UChicago student is addicted.

Bars:
The Woodlawn Tap (aka Jimmy's) - This is an awesome bar with awesome bartenders. Every UChicago student's rite of passage after turning 21 (or getting a fake).
The Pub - grab a UChicago student and have them bring you as a guest to this members-only pub. The food is delicious (but don't go too late or the kitchen will be closed), the drink selection is nice, and it's a good place to meet other grad students. Try the cider, by the way.

These two places are classic parts of the University of Chicago experience, and I suggested them because they are most likely to give you an impression of what it's like to be a student here. Good luck, have fun, and tell us all how it goes!

nerfco

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 02:48:06 PM »
Seriously?  The Pub's food is terrible.  I guess it's easier to troll for these places as an undergrad, but the law students generally avoid them.

Medici is overrated, IMO.  I would go to Cedar's and Thai 55 first.

Law students don't generally avoid the pub. Their food is standard bar fare. I order food there when I am hungry.

I'd go to the Snail over Thai 55, if I wanted Thai food. Medici is okay, but not great. I've only gone a couple times, and don't really expect to go again. Other places on 57th are better.

nerfco

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 05:01:50 PM »
The University Cafe, strangely enough, has the best sandwiches on 57th.

If this is the deli in the back of the University Market, this is correct.