Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Transferred to GULC EA last year, taking questions  (Read 4348 times)

galileo228

• View Profile
Transferred to GULC EA last year, taking questions
« on: March 02, 2009, 06:14:44 PM »
Hey all, I remember going through this process last year, and how nerve racking it was. I'm happy to answer questions if it will help put minds at ease.

The way it worked last year, a bunch of people had their status turn from "complete" to "decision" after midnight on Monday, April 7 (2008). Most people who went "decision" at that point were admitted, and I had my letter the next day (I was on the east coast). Of course, no guarantees that they do it the same way this year.

A great way to get educated about the results of the GULC transfer process is to look back at the messages on this board at this time last year. You'll see what we all went through, and most people were kind enough to give GPAs/ranks/school ranks, to help everyone else compare themselves.

If anyone has questions, I'll try to answer 'em as best I can.

Good luck to all. 

upgrade

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Transferred to GULC EA last year, taking questions
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 06:19:03 PM »
If you don't mind sharing, what was the approximate rank of your first law school and how did 2L OCI go for you at GULC?

Dongo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 07:20:31 PM »
Thanks so much for doing this, OP.

Along with the rank of your school (the question in the post above) can you please tell us your class rank?

You said you were accepted EA.  How did you do second semester?  Did you end up doing the same, worse, better?

And did you even go out for Moot Court, Mock Trial, Law Review, etc. at the school you were initially at? What about at GULC? did you try out?

Thanks again!!

galileo228

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 07:47:29 PM »
To answer the above questions:

My old school was a T40. I did not have a class rank at the time I applied.

2L OCI went quite well, and the career office is phenomenal.  I'll be summering at a V10 firm.

Strangely, I wound up doing better second semester than I did the first. I made journal at both my old school and GULC, although I did not find out about journal at my old school until after my acceptance at GULC. Moot and mock at GULC are completely open to transfer students. Also, I should say that I was part time at my old school, and transferred to GULC full time.

Dongo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 07:55:04 PM »
Well that makes sense - most schools don't release ranks for first semester.  Do you have a predicted rank though?  Or can you tell us your GPA when you applied?

Naked Promise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 08:19:33 PM »
tag

RonSantoRules

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 08:20:31 PM »
Thanks for taking questions. I have a random assortment of questions for you.

(1) Did you run into any resistance from employers about being a transfer during OCI? I have always wondered how employers respond once you tell them you are a transfer student and how you handled any follow up questions pertaining that.

(2) Socially, how did you feel the adjustment went? I would imagine since GULC is so big that it was easy to blend in, but I would think it would still suck to have to start all over again as a 2L trying to get connected with the law school community. I have heard that GULC does a good job with this since their transfer class is so big, but I would be curious to hear you impressions.

(3) How do you feel about having your GPA wiped clean and having to start over again. Is there more pressure since you are starting from scratch, or does the somewhat more lax curve in 2L and 3L ease some of the pain in the GPA department?

(4) Did you give up any scholarship $$ at your old school to attend GULC, and if so, how do you feel about the debt load [since I think it would cost around $60K per year to attend GULC after you factor in living expenses]?

(5) Any regrets?

You rule if you answer any or all of these.

Droz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 08:25:35 PM »
is it possible to do the main journal or do transfers only do secondary journals? thanks for any answers.

YEMsoon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 10:09:35 AM »
I am a transfer student on the main journal

YEMsoon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 10:11:03 AM »
I finished first semester with a 3.86 at a 75-100 school and was admitted EA as well.