Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Transferred to GULC EA last year, taking questions  (Read 4659 times)

Droz

• View Profile
Re: Transferred to GULC EA last year, taking questions
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 12:24:20 PM »
I finished first semester with a 3.86 at a 75-100 school and was admitted EA as well.

nice, where did this put you rank wise?

Dongo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 12:31:40 PM »
I'm interested in your class rank as well. 

Do you happen to remember, roughly, when you went complete and when you heard?

Thanks for your answers!

YEMsoon

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2009, 11:09:48 AM »
I don't know my first semester rank.  I went down slightly...finished the year with a 3.79 and was ranked 5th.

I don't remember the exact dates.  But I was complete late--because my school forgot to send the transcript.  However, I was complete within the EA timeframe.  I found out the same time that everyone did in the first round.  I went "Decision" and went home and had an acceptance letter in the mail.  Those who did not go "Decision" that day were waitlisted.  I didn't know anyone rejected in the first round.

Naked Promise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2009, 12:40:19 PM »
If you are accepted EA, when do they require you to put down a seat deposit?

upgrade

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2009, 01:25:33 PM »
I don't know my first semester rank.  I went down slightly...finished the year with a 3.79 and was ranked 5th.

I don't remember the exact dates.  But I was complete late--because my school forgot to send the transcript.  However, I was complete within the EA timeframe.  I found out the same time that everyone did in the first round.  I went "Decision" and went home and had an acceptance letter in the mail.  Those who did not go "Decision" that day were waitlisted.  I didn't know anyone rejected in the first round.

Did you try to transfer anywhere else?  What kind of results?

Bob23

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2009, 10:07:22 PM »
I too went Decision at Midnight and got in EA from a T4 where I had a 3.93 first semester, which put me in the top 3%. OCI went well, summering at a V50. I got minimal resistance regarding the transfer, and only from one or two employers. The seat deposit was due ~2 weeks after I got the letter, and was something like $500.

To answer some of the other questions that have been posed:
a) My second semester grades slipped a little, probably due to a drop in motivation since I knew my GPA was going away.
b) The school is big, and there are a lot of transfers, so it's easy to fit in.
c) I was a little apprehensive about losing my GPA, but I knew the end result was going to be well worth it.
d) I gave up some scholarship money (~25-30% of tuition), but again, I knew the payoff in the end would more than make up the difference.
e) Overall I'm incredibly happy with the decision to transfer. I love the school (though I don't care much for DC). The opportunities, both curriculum and career, are far and away better than at my old school.

I too got a lot of help from this board and the Yahoo group when I was going through the process, and I'm happy to "give back" by answering any questions.

Droz

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2009, 10:11:35 PM »
I too went Decision at Midnight and got in EA from a T4 where I had a 3.93 first semester, which put me in the top 3%. OCI went well, summering at a V50. I got minimal resistance regarding the transfer, and only from one or two employers. The seat deposit was due ~2 weeks after I got the letter, and was something like $500.

To answer some of the other questions that have been posed:
a) My second semester grades slipped a little, probably due to a drop in motivation since I knew my GPA was going away.
b) The school is big, and there are a lot of transfers, so it's easy to fit in.
c) I was a little apprehensive about losing my GPA, but I knew the end result was going to be well worth it.
d) I gave up some scholarship money (~25-30% of tuition), but again, I knew the payoff in the end would more than make up the difference.
e) Overall I'm incredibly happy with the decision to transfer. I love the school (though I don't care much for DC). The opportunities, both curriculum and career, are far and away better than at my old school.

I too got a lot of help from this board and the Yahoo group when I was going through the process, and I'm happy to "give back" by answering any questions.

any insight on how they would view a similar percentile ranking with a lower g.p.a. due to a presumibly more strict curve (around 2.7ish)? think that it is all about the rank in comparing you with others in your class or that the actual g.p.a. will be a big factor?

Bob23

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2009, 11:08:51 PM »
any insight on how they would view a similar percentile ranking with a lower g.p.a. due to a presumibly more strict curve (around 2.7ish)? think that it is all about the rank in comparing you with others in your class or that the actual g.p.a. will be a big factor?

My suspicion is Rank is all that matters, assuming you have one. For those without a rank, I assume that the Admission Committee can approximate where that puts you at your school based on historical information. I can't imagine they care about the actual GPA, particularly since schools curve differently and your performance relative to your peers is more indicative of your ability.

Droz

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2009, 11:17:03 PM »
excellent. that is what i was suspecting and hoping for. thanks for your input.

beaverfuzz

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2009, 01:33:22 AM »
Hey OP-

I was curious what your UGPA/LSAT was, and whether you think this plays a part in GULC's decision? I'm first in my class with a 4.0 at a tier 3, but my UGPA hovered at around a 3.0.

Also, were most of the transfers you talked with from Top 100 schools?

Thanks.