Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: List of Landmark cases all 1Ls study  (Read 3435 times)

Jake_MONDATTA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: List of Landmark cases all 1Ls study
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2009, 11:53:35 PM »
Wow.

I am a geek, but even I have to say that you people are unbelievably lame.

greenie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2009, 08:51:53 AM »
no torts list is correct if it doesn't have palsgraf http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palsgraf_v._Long_Island_Railroad_Co.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2009, 12:36:17 AM »
Criminal

1. Regina v. Dudley and Stephens (cannibalism FTW)

2. Staples (reading mens rea requirement into congressional statutes, putting people on notice of their firearms)

3.  Girouard (does telling someone they're a lousy @#!* count as adequate provocation?  Reasonable people don't stab their wives 19 times, objective standard)

4.  Regina v. Serne (felony murder rule for dangerous activity likely to lead to death, such as arson)

5.  Acosta (two helicopters meet the foreseeable requirement, even though it's an "exceptional circumstance")

6.  Arzon (my personal favorite, with causation and the arsonist, zone of danger test, MPC 2.03(2)(b))

7.  Carroll (premeditation of putting the firearm by the windowsill, compare with Guthrie, Young, O'Shea)

8.  Pinkerton (so classic a conspiracy case that Weezer named an album after it)

9.  Casassa (the Tarasoff of the Crim Law world, only this time it's an objective standard for EED)

10.  Atkins (need at least one death penalty case on the list)

sheltron5000

• Sr. Citizen
  • All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2009, 12:52:54 AM »
9.  Casassa (the Tarasoff of the Crim Law world, only this time it's an objective standard for EED)

Am I the only one who read this as electronic ED and couldn't figure that one out?

Also: awsome lists guys, I can't wait to get to know these cases then never come back to look at this again... ;)
LSN

I'd love to join this LGBT club.  It's the Legos, Gobots, Barbies, and other Toys group, right?  I'll show up with an armful of toys.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2009, 01:08:02 AM »
It's extreme emotional disturbance.  Another important crim acronym is EI, or extreme indifference.  (For murder when someone acts in a reckless way as their mens rea.)

Any chance we'll be seeing you around the South Side next year, sheltron?  You can have all of my outlines if you come here.*

*Promissory estoppel?  No way.  This is a gift.

sheltron5000

• Sr. Citizen
  • All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2009, 01:40:15 PM »
Only if the admissions people wake up and let me in...  :(
LSN

I'd love to join this LGBT club.  It's the Legos, Gobots, Barbies, and other Toys group, right?  I'll show up with an armful of toys.

petsoundspop

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2009, 03:09:03 AM »

8.  Pinkerton (so classic a conspiracy case that Weezer named an album after it)

10.  Atkins (need at least one death penalty case on the list)
[/quote]

No offense, but Pinkerton by Weezer wasn't about that at all.  It was a theme-based album on the opera Madame Butterfly, whose main character Pinkerton goes off to war.