Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Best law school tote?  (Read 7890 times)

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Best law school tote?
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 05:35:43 PM »
Clearly I need to start taking swag into account when I pick my school.

This is credited, BTW.
* Columbia Law, Class of 2011 *

LSN

combative0L

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 12:11:15 AM »
bump for some more advice just in case..i'm making my decision final on Friday and will be submitting my order online along with Getting to Maybe (a law school exam book) recommended to me by other posters.

Thanks team!

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2009, 01:45:44 AM »
bump for some more advice just in case..i'm making my decision final on Friday and will be submitting my order online along with Getting to Maybe (a law school exam book) recommended to me by other posters.

Thanks team!

Definitely get a backpack.  I can't give you a specific brand recommendation, unfortunately!

LSN

no634

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • No 634
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2009, 02:52:17 PM »
For the love of god, no duffle bags or rolling backpacks. You are going to law school, not the airport.

Assuming that you have a locker, use a messenger-laptop bag or a durable, plain bookbag.

I have both.

For messenger bags I like Kenneth Cole Reaction...
http://www.kennethcole.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=3075281&cp=3075198.3075278

For backpacks, I like the Swiss Gear brand. They are durable and affordable. Target sells them.

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2009, 05:43:37 PM »
One thing I did, which I think is handy no matter how you carry your stuff, is I went to Kinko's and had them saw the spines off all my books and 3-hole punch them.  The books go into a large binder, and whatever pages I need that day I move to a smaller binder which I take to class.

Netopalis

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - troop85eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2009, 11:27:21 PM »
For those out there who are proud of their gunnersmanship, a shotgun case can make an effective tool to transport large numbers of books AND inconvenience the rest of the class at the same time.
Mercer University School of Law '12

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2009, 02:50:42 PM »
One thing I did, which I think is handy no matter how you carry your stuff, is I went to Kinko's and had them saw the spines off all my books and 3-hole punch them.  The books go into a large binder, and whatever pages I need that day I move to a smaller binder which I take to class.

Seriously?  I can't decide if this is absurd or awesome, but I think I'm leaning towards awesome.

LSN

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2009, 02:56:11 PM »

Seriously?  I can't decide if this is absurd or awesome, but I think I'm leaning towards awesome.

They tell everyone to do that during 1L orientation at my school. I did it first semester 1L but don't do it anymore. I found it too easy to mix up the pages I needed to have with me or to lose them or get them out of order, and harder to find things at the end of the semester without them being in their chapter order and everything. But I am generally disorganized. It seems to work for a lot of people. Other downsides are that you can't sell them back, and the fact that it can be kind of sad to rip up a nice hard-back book. But maybe that's just me.

I also resorted to a shameful wheelie bag, so I do understand trying to make the load of things you have to carry lighter.
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2009, 02:57:39 PM »
For the love of god, no duffle bags or rolling backpacks. You are going to law school, not the airport.

Eh. Some of us have back problems. I don't really understand the antipathy towards wheelie bags, besides the fact that they're kind of dorky. I mean, it really is just a style thing.
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2009, 03:09:40 PM »

Eh. Some of us have back problems. I don't really understand the antipathy towards wheelie bags, besides the fact that they're kind of dorky. I mean, it really is just a style thing.

I think that part of the problem with wheelie bags is that people can be very inconsiderate with them in tight spaces.  The same is true of large backpacks or shoulderbags, but wheelie bags have the additional capacity to be dragged over other people's toes.  Obviously, this is a problem with the carriers and not the bags themselves.  One of the main offenders at my school would likely manage to hit people if he were carrying a wristlet. He's just . . . antisocial.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.