Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Pepperdine ($) or Chapman ($$)  (Read 1212 times)

dreameca

• View Profile
    • Email
Pepperdine ($) or Chapman ($$)
« on: March 01, 2009, 08:35:44 PM »
I got accepted into University of San Diego, Chapman (90% scholarship, renewable if i get above 3.0) and pepperdine ($18000, renewable if i stay in top third of the class). I am still waiting on Loyola, USC and UCLA. I am a Chinese immigrant, 3. 64 Berkeley Legal Studies Honors undergrad, LSAT 160. should I go for pepperdine? my diversity statement for the scholarship hasnt been processed yet, what are my chances of getting more scholarship offer? Do I stand a chance in USC or UCLA? Or any chance at a better scholarship in Loyola? Thanks People!

dcm81

• View Profile
Re: Pepperdine ($) or Chapman ($$)
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 06:59:27 PM »
Your not going to get into USC/UCLA because your LSAT is too low.  I would drop USD, since its a very expensive school and isn't ranked high enough to justify you going there.  Chapman's scholarship is clearly better than Pepperdine's, and 3.0 at chapman will put you at around the top 35% of the class (I went there so I know how grading works there).  Loyola will likely accept you and offer you a similar package to Pepperdine, or less if you applied later in the cycle.  As far as the difference between Chapman and Pepperdine, both are expensive schools, Pepperdine is "ranked" higher, but Chapman seems to be closer that gap.  So its really up to you.  If you work hard, you'll pretty much get a free ride and come out of Chapman with a job paying over 80k at least.  (Assuming your top 1/3 in the class).  The same applies to Pepperdine, except you will likely leave school with over 80,000 in debt if you are getting a half scholarship.  You just have to realize that there is a lot of competition for the top legal jobs in the LA/OC area, so you'll be competing against USC/UCLA/Stanford/Harvard grads for the top positions. 

Imperial Russian Stout!

• Sr. Citizen
  • The Evil Stork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 11:43:25 PM »
I'd go USD if I was you.  Especially if you're not ultra conservative. 

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 12:09:39 AM »
Your not going to get into USC/UCLA because your LSAT is too low.  I would drop USD, since its a very expensive school and isn't ranked high enough to justify you going there.  Chapman's scholarship is clearly better than Pepperdine's, and 3.0 at chapman will put you at around the top 35% of the class (I went there so I know how grading works there).  Loyola will likely accept you and offer you a similar package to Pepperdine, or less if you applied later in the cycle.  As far as the difference between Chapman and Pepperdine, both are expensive schools, Pepperdine is "ranked" higher, but Chapman seems to be closer that gap.  So its really up to you.  If you work hard, you'll pretty much get a free ride and come out of Chapman with a job paying over 80k at least.  (Assuming your top 1/3 in the class).  The same applies to Pepperdine, except you will likely leave school with over 80,000 in debt if you are getting a half scholarship.  You just have to realize that there is a lot of competition for the top legal jobs in the LA/OC area, so you'll be competing against USC/UCLA/Stanford/Harvard grads for the top positions. 

I agree with everything u said except for one points. I would not be surprized if he got into UCLA or USC. It's highly unlikely, but OP shouldn't think he has no shot. Honors grad from Berkeley (the top public-U in the country, and one of the top universities in the world) and an LSAT above the 80th percentile, coupled with the right circumstances may get him there. He's a Chinese immigrant, so they may cut him some slack on the score if he's first-generation Chinese-American. His essay and soft factors can help a little if they're really good. It also appears that he constructed his own major (as Berkeley students are allowed to do), so we have no idea what his curriculum was like; it may have been exceptionally difficult.

dreameca

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 05:24:12 PM »
Thanks people! after much consideration.... my top choice is pepperdine at the moment. i still havent heard bak from loyola usc or ucla. does that mean i wont be getting in those schools? my diversity scholarship decision letter hsa been sent this morning... so if pepperdine will give me some more money I think that will seal the deal. Chapman is a lot cheaper to go to (especially since i wont have to move out, i'll be staying with my family).... its building its reputation and ranking rapidly, but its still a third tier sch. one more thing.... would it change any of your views if i told you my parents are paying for my expenses and tuition for law school? my family is not rich, but I am the only daughter... and its a chinese thing that parents pay for everything until you are completely done with sch and found your first job.  I dont want to waste my family's money, but they said they would rather work harder to afford me into a higher ranked sch than to worry abt debt and end up going to a lower ranked sch. just wondering if debt is not such a big issue... would it change anything?

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - joshthebikepilot
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 03:13:28 PM »
I would also think about the faculty composition and culture of the schools. I don't know much about Chapman, but Pepperdine is a quasi-christian school and has a reputation for being somewhat conservative. That could be a great thing or a not so great thing depending on your take on life. Ken Starr is am amazingly talented and exceptionally nice man, I would expect his school to reflect those qualities. P's campus is also probably the most scenic law school in the country for what that's worth.

Also if you have any interdisciplinary interests that may cross paths with experimental economics or economic systems design, Vernon Smith and his guys are now at Chapman and are some really, really interesting people (I studied under one of his team members in college). Smith is THE leader in the field and has the Nobel prize to prove it. He also rocks a pony-tail and huge belt buckle in a way that just has to be admired.
HLS 2010