Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Equipment List  (Read 2262 times)

tony_rocky_horror

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Equipment List
« on: March 01, 2009, 06:16:59 PM »
Starting to gather my equipment and looking for thoughts/suggestions:

1. Laptop- already picked out
2. Note taking software - Evernote?
3. Printer - get the cheapest cost per page that prints on front/back, amy suggestions?
4. File cabinet? is a small one helpful?
5. Any other software suggestions, other than the note taking and office?

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Equipment List
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 03:14:53 PM »
1. Are you going Mac or PC?
2. Depends on #1
3. Does your school offer free printing?  CLS gives you 2500 pages per year (I'm told nobody ever exceeds that), and some schools just give you flat unlimited printing.  You can print out cases directly from lexis/westlaw for free if you do it in the library on one of their official printers, but that is only useful for legal research (you will probably not be printing cases in your regular classes).
4. I don't have one, but I do have a lot of file folders.  So, I guess this is not a bad idea if you have the space.
5. AspenLaw studydesk is pretty decent, although by no means perfect.  If you have a Mac, OmniGraffle is AWESOME for flowchart making, which came in handy while studying for finals in subjects like Civ Pro.

Don't buy highlighters.  Vendors give them away like candy at law schools.  In fact, they usually give them away WITH candy.
* Columbia Law, Class of 2011 *

LSN

tony_rocky_horror

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 03:26:21 PM »
It will be windows (pc)---will have to check on the free printing but I imagine doing alot of printing at home.

tony_rocky_horror

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 03:38:15 PM »
I just looked at the AspenLaw Studydesk and that looks like a must buy.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 04:49:11 PM »
It will be windows (pc)---will have to check on the free printing but I imagine doing alot of printing at home.

Credited response. Free printing at school works great for people who like to hang out at school. I donít. I get too distracted at school, Iím gone as soon as class ends. I think Iíve printed at school once, everything else I print at home. Plus *&^% gets piled up at school and people will take your stuff off the printer to get theirs, or you have to wait in a queue to get printed (this sucks on memo due day). Its just a pian in the ass if you donít like hanging out at school.

Iíve been through three printers in law school. Depending on your budget I recommend getting a business class printer, home office ones canít keep up with the demand over 3 years. Both me and a class mate have the HP L7680 and love it. The XL print cartages will last you an entire semester even with heavy printing. 

If you not the study at school kind get a BIG desk. I went to home depot got an plain white interior door for $25 and put it on top of two file cabinets, cheap HUGE desk.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 05:39:20 PM »
If you not the study at school kind get a BIG desk. I went to home depot got an plain white interior door for $25 and put it on top of two file cabinets, cheap HUGE desk.

I remember your desk post from last year!!  You have a truly inspiring work space.

The outlining feature did not work out as well as I'd hoped.  If you buy, I recommend doing a sample outline after the first week (or before class starts) to see how it organizes stuff so that you can use it more effectively.  Seems like that feature would work best if you take your notes within the program also, and only use one category marker per item (i used multiple keywords/topics for each of my case briefs, only to find that the software placed multiple copies of my whole brief under each section in which it was categorized.

That said, the brief templates were really helpful, and it was a great way for me to keep my case materials organized last semester.

* Columbia Law, Class of 2011 *

LSN

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 05:55:42 PM »

studydesk sucks IMO

tony_rocky_horror

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 08:52:24 AM »

studydesk sucks IMO

Maybe but I haven't found a good alternative yet

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 09:04:12 AM »

I remember your desk post from last year!!  You have a truly inspiring work space.

Thanks, I need it to be inspriring becuase I have to spend like 12 hours a day in it!
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

lebron

• the second coming (of choke)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 09:10:17 AM »
Learn and use Onenote. It comes with Office 2k7. If your school doesn't heavily subsidize Office, TTT.

Also, screw file cabinets. They're too difficult to keep organized, are easily undone, and aren't portable. Either expandos+rubbermade tubs, or manila folders+redwelds+rubbermade tubs.

More importantly, why are you printing this much? By definition, if you can print it, you have an e-copy of it. What's wrong with reading it on your computer?