Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: BU Law alumni taking ?  (Read 639 times)

Bosox

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
BU Law alumni taking ?
« on: March 01, 2009, 01:24:50 PM »

Taking questions this week.

Bosox

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: BU Law alumni taking ?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 01:39:24 PM »
Someone asked a bunch of questions in a PM.  I  thought it would be useful to post my response.

1.   What is the curve like?
The curve is typical of most schools. It is a B average.

2.   Could you tell me what the curriculum is for 1L, and if you can take any electives your first year?

You take a core set of classes your first year, and no electives.  Torts, Contracts, Property, Civ Pro, etc.

3.   How do you like your professors and are their some that maybe shouldnít have gotten tenure?

I liked my profs. Some were very annoying and pretentious.  Some hid the ball and were trying to trick you.  But most were good.

4.   What can you tell me about the facilities (classrooms/libraries) and how often do you use them or how much time do you spend on campus outside of class?

Facilities are horrible.  They've been talking about a new building for years because it is known as the ugliest law school building in the country.  Fingers crossed that we'll get one.  I'd like a library as well.  The law library is dark and tiny.  Few people use it. 

5.   How often do you talk with your professors outside of class?

Never.

6.   How heavily do professors rely on the Socratic method?

They rely on it pretty heavily in the  sense that they call on you and ask you questions about the cases. 

7.   Whatís the student body like? Do you guyís hang out often? And do you have bar reviews or other type of planned social events, and if so are they popular?

There are bar reviews.  The student body is pretty cliquey, but not horrible.  Most people kind of keep to themselves outside of school.

8.   When does the semester start/end, and also when do you take exams and how many?

Exams at the end of each semester. 

9.   How many students are in your class and how many sections are there?

The amount of people in your 1L section will vary, but these are mostly seminar courses.

10.   What were your impressions of OCI and if you participated were you able to get an offer?

OCI is useful if you are at the top of your class, but its not very helpful if you are in the bottom 50%.  Its tough with BC and Harvard in town, both of which firms seem to prefer.  I was actually in the top third and had a hard time finding a job at a large firm.  I ended up getting a smaller firm.  I am happy with it.

11.   Are there any networking events that the school puts on with alumni and also have you gotten to know any alums that have helped you find a job?

There are alumni events, but I am not sure how helpful these are at actually finding a job.

12.   For OCI is it limited to 2lís or can 1lís participate and how many 1lís typically land paying gigs for the summer?

1L's usually do not get paying gigs, unless they get the stipend.  Most do the public interest thing though. Only people I knew with 1L summerr positions at firms were minorities.

13.   How helpful has the Career Service office been in finding a job and what do you think they could do to make things better?

They were not very helpful.  They focus on helping the top of the class.  If you aren't law review, they don't really help out.

14.   How well does the school do in placing students in clerkships?

No clue.  I knew a few people who did it, but its not like  everyone does a clerkship.  The federal ones are very difficult to get.

15.   Whatís your living situation like, how long does it take to commute to school, and if you donít mind me asking how much do you pay in rent?

Live in backbay/allston/brighton.  These are a quick commute.  I would try to live close to the building, to stay away from the green line, which is horrible.

16.   Have you participated in a clinical programs and if so how was that experience?

Didn't participate.

17.   How much time do you spend in class and studying/preparing each day (basically the amount of hours doing stuff related to law school)?

Law school shoudl be treated as a job.  8 hours a day committed to class and studying.

18.   Iíd also love to hear your three favorite things about the school, and your three least favorite things or things that you wish you could change?

Favorites:
1) Boston
2) Red Sox
3) Student life

Least Favorite:
1) Building
2) Career Services
3) Lack of prestige

zippyandzap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Clint Dempsey FTW
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 02:38:55 PM »
Should NYU (full price) or BU (full tuition scholly) be a question if I'm looking to practice in Boston?

Bosox

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 03:52:40 PM »
Go to NYU i you want a bigfirm.